It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting find about what chickens prefer to eat - not what I expected

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Cats, all cats, are predators at heart. If they get hungry, they will kill whatever they can. Really,the only difference between Fluffy and a mountain lion is the size; Fluffy is too small to do much damage to a larger critter like a person. Toss Fluffy out somewhere (hypothetical; please don't do that to an animal!) and she'll be wild as the wind within a week if she survives.

A chicken is a big target for a housecat, yes. But let them get hungry enough and they can take a chicken. Cats have claws and teeth, and they know how to use them. Want proof? Hold a cat barehanded while you give it a bath. Then let me know how they don't know how to fight... after you've stopped the bleeding, that is.

Oh, and I'll have you know I don't like killing anything. I don't even deer hunt, because I can get all the meat I want from the slickers that just kill for a trophy. Every deer processor and taxidermist around has my number and a standing offer to pay for the processing. But that doesn't mean I am going to let any critter, no matter how cute, kill off my birds without a fight. They actually do something to earn their keep: they lay eggs, they're meat if things get too bad, and they eat the bugs that abound here. What does a cat do, besides kill mice?

The day you think I will place the life of any critter someone doesn't want over the lives of my birds, you've got another think coming!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Couple of well fed Maine Coon cats and those chickens will be safe for sure.
My cat is only small but territorial, she will take on big old tomcats and fight like a psycho if they come near the yard. My chickens would be safe if I had any these days.
I miss fresh eggs every day.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Is that an expensive way to do it? How much is one round of ammo?
Nice and quick though, I have no problem with protecting chickens from predators, animal suffering would be my issue, but a quick shot and dead, well so be it.
You should get a couple of 'barn cats' well fed, they'll keep predators away, save you the job.

The pistol of choice for that is a little .22. It does the job and I spend maybe 10 cents per round. Only bad part is I can't reload .22s. And yeah, I prefer it to be quick as well. There's no sense in making an animal suffer.

I mentioned in an earlier response that we let a few cats stay around the barn for just that reason. They do seem to keep the possum population down.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Where my parents lived in Spain people would drop dogs off and leave them. Would you shoot dogs?

I would. I have.

Sounds like you prefer to have animals suffer.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
If I had hens and the cat problem Redneck has (hypothetically) I would have to try what cooked cat is like.
I've only ever killed animals to eat them, so say I'd shot a killer cat attacking my chickens I would definitely skin it and roast it out of curiosity. I think eating something I've killed does it some respect...I draw the line at rats though I have eaten tarantula and bat before now.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Do they just die with one shot?
edit on 2-1-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Yes of course cats are predators. Yes, try and give Fluffy a bath and you probably will never play the piano again. So don't do it, unless you have a thing for scars.

I live in the Country, deepest Wiltshire, and am no city slicker. Like I posted earlier, we have adopted feral cats (as have friends) and they certainly can become tame. What can cats do beside killing mice? They can give you unconditional love, that's what.

If cats can get at your chickens, surely Mr Fox can? We have ours in a fox proof enclosure - if we didn't we would soon have no chickens.

Do you not have Cat Rescue people where you are?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

though I have eaten tarantula and bat before now.

You are Ozzy and I claim my £5.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

My parents took one dog in when she had puppies and took the puppies to find homes.
We always stopped and gave food to any strays we saw.
I don't think they were suffering.
Hey why don't you go around killing people that you believe are suffering, like homeless people for instance?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
10 cents?! That IS cheap.
...keep the barn cats well fed and teach them to fight lol
How many laying hens do you have? Do you sell the eggs?
Here in my world there are tables with eggs for sale outside many houses in rural lanes, just put the money in a box.
Imagine trying that in a city, the table would be stolen as well as the eggs and money!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Where my parents lived in Spain people would drop dogs off and leave them. Would you shoot dogs?

Actually a few years back, there were numerous packs of wild stray dogs attacking our workers on the family fruit farm. Animal control told us to shoot them all! So yes, sometimes it is necessary, these strays were more viscous than wild, since they were not afraid of humans.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Theres a farm close to me where you can get raw milk and other stuff and they have a shop with an honesty box.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
Haha you nut, it was in Asia!
Tarantula was fried, like a big crisp, I really liked it, crunchy snack, bat was the same, but different taste, didn't like it as much.
I wonder what cat tastes like, I've eaten dog, don't know what breed but it was okay.

...on a side note, walk across the land border between Malaysia and Thailand, Malay side not a dog in sight just mangy cats, Thai side millions of mangy dogs but not a cat in sight lol

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Imagine trying that in a city, the table would be stolen as well as the eggs and money!

The chickens too, probably.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Cat killing aside, your rural sounding environment sounds amazing. I used to keep chickens but moving to a smaller property I can't really now, it would have to be a factory caged hens type situation and that's not for me.

While I don't own it all (my mother's estate included my sister, but she doesn't live here) the place is about 80 acres, mostly wooded. We live in a hollow between two ridges. There may be 50 vehicles drive through our road per day, and that is a major change from just a couple decades ago when it was more like 20. My closest neighbor, who has been my best friend since I was 13, lives a half-mile away.

We have this house, two wells, a barn, and several sheds scattered around. Plus I have my shop and a garage and small house that are pretty much just used for storage now (need some work). It's quiet and peaceful, and we don't even have to lock our doors usually. There's almost no crime. Luckily, there's almost no land for sale right here; it's all family land from a handful of families and won't be sold outside the respective family. Across the ridge is where the city slickers tend to interfere.

If I drive to town, the few vehicles I meet usually wave hello. Once in a while one will stop, and I'll stop and talk a few minutes as long as the road is clear. Life just moves slower out here, as it should.

Our birds free range exclusively. The last batch we raised from chicks, that one pet broke her leg and I knew she wouldn't survive on her own. So we keep her in the old chick pen I built, which is 4x8 feet and built to make a mountain lion work up a sweat trying to pry it open. She seems quite happy with her little environment, and I plan on building some new pens anyway. Heck, she still lays some eggs once in a while!

I rarely buy feed. The birds eat bugs and seeds, both of which we have in abundance. Another trick is to feed them their own eggshells after you use the eggs... they love them and it makes the next batch of eggs that much stronger.

At present, I have a Rhode Island Red rooster, three adult Rhode Island Red hens, one young Rhode Island Red hen, and one adult Buff Orpington hen (well, plus the pet). I also have a young tom turkey, and two ducks, a Pekin drake and a Cayuga hen.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Do they just die with one shot?

That's the idea. If not, I put them out of their misery as fast as possible to keep them from suffering.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Ours are ex battery hens rescued from being turned into pet food by the British Hen Welfare trust. Still laying.

You would love Norfolk over here - people still point at cars (allegedly).

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ah that sounds a fantastic lifestyle!
80 acres would cost an absolute fortune in my area, my mate bought 1 and a half acres recently, paid £120,000 for it, just grassland, no planning permission for a property to be built so he will live on it in a converted bus.
I'd love the true rural experience that a vast nation like the US gives, I'd raise chickens like you, but I'd train a couple of big Maine Coon cats (well fed) to guard my chickens.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
We still point at planes in the sky here in the SW!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I live in the Country, deepest Wiltshire, and am no city slicker.

You certainly come across as one.

If cats can get at your chickens, surely Mr Fox can? We have ours in a fox proof enclosure - if we didn't we would soon have no chickens.

If a fox shows up, I kill him too. They learn pretty fast to stay away.

One of the purposes of me having the birds is to keep the bug population down. They can't do that if they're caged up. They know where home is and have never strayed far enough to be a problem. They roost at night on the porch, so anything that tries to get them then has to be pretty darn bold.

I've left the mountain natural. I don't kill off the ugly or aggravating species like some do, then wonder why the others are overpopulating. Everything that is here naturally has plenty to eat and no reason to bother me. If anything does show up, the dog raises the alarm (and usually has it gone before we can get to him). If it makes it near the porch, the rooster and turkey raise an alarm. Either way, that pistol solves the problem if it's still there when we get outside.

The only real problem we have had was owls and a hawk. The barn owls here are not quite large enough to take a full grown chicken, but they will happily try! We've lost one turkey hen to a hawk, and there's not much I can do about that.

Do you not have Cat Rescue people where you are?

No. We live in the country. You're sounding like a slicker again. Are you sure you know what country is?

TheRedneck

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join