It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting find about what chickens prefer to eat - not what I expected

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Not a good thing to do, either! I feed/adopt strays so am horrified at this!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Indeed.
I love cats.... they are my very favorite thing. I have an adopted cat she is beautiful and so loving.... on my lap.
Thank you for saving them and loving them.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Me too. We have one cat indoors at the moment (RSPCA rescue) and a feral cat who we rescued but spent 6 months hiding behind sofa and hissing at us. In August he barged open a window and escaped.

But, he now comes to our back door to be fed and has now taken up residence in an old rabbit hutch by the back door. Have been slowly (very slowly - he is very distrustful of humans) gaining his trust and now he rubs against my legs and comes into the kitchen and yesterday he rolled over on his back which is very trusting of him. He got very jealous when I gave our cat a stroke at the weekend. Hope he will be in soon for good.

Also now feeding another stray girl that has turned up. All have had turkey Christmas dinners.

Your cat sounds lovely.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: TheRedneck

You kill cats...... not a good thing to tell people!

I imagine that he is talking about feral cats. They are not some domesticated stray cat. They are as wild as foxes, possums, and coons. Personally, I don't kill them, but live trap them and transport them some distance. Feral cats can become serious problems when they discover easier food sources aka small farm poultry or even simply human food waste. They are much more aggressive!

Unfortunately, many who leave the city to the country and get all emotional about that poor stray kitty they spy out back. They set out bowls of food and milk for that 'poor' kitty. Sigh. Essentially, they teach the wild cats to become a nuisance and destructive. Then others need to responsibly handle and deal with.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I kill anything that tries to kill my chickens. I make no apologies for that, to you or anyone else.

Want to save 'em? Come get 'em.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
On an unemotional technical note, how do you kill the feral cats? Poison? Strangle? Shoot 'em?
I've killed a few things in my life but never killed a cat...although I'd kill and eat mine if I was starving and she wasn't catching me seagulls or something.
EDIT
I'd strangle my cat if I was going to eat her, I'd look her in the eyes with tears running down my face saying sorry I'm hungry.
...hopefully we won't have a societal collapse forcing me into that situation though.
edit on 2-1-2019 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Thank you!

City slickers need to learn how to sit back and listen. Maybe then they'd figure things out. The real evil here is not me for killing a cat, it's the fools who drop them off here without food, water, or sometimes even hunting skills, thinking they're doing the critter a favor. It wouldn't surprise me to find out a few have been declawed before they turned them out. That's like pulling the wings off of flies.

We do have a pet cat, but he stays in a penned area under the porch so he can't get to the birds. Pampered little thing.

I see the activity you talk about all the time. Feeding problem critters is just the tip of the iceberg. People move out here and they have no idea what it's really like. They want the quiet life, the low crime, the fresh air, the friendly neighbors. Then when they get here, they start complaining about the guy hunting Bambi, they bring in others who wind up raising the crime rate, they find out that their neighbor has a pig farm and that fresh air ain't always so fresh, and then they start bringing in the law and threatening to sue everybody in sight. By that time, there are no nice neighbors left; word gets around.

Then after 6 months or so of trying to destroy everything about us that brought them out here, they finally give up and move back to town. The house sells, and the next batch moves in. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sometimes I think there's really something to the warnings about fluoridated water... something is driving the slickers insane. Now if we can just add something to make them stay out of the country...

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

You imagined wrong.... not feral cats.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I'm not big on poison. I do have a dog that runs loose (he guards the birds) and I don't want to take a chance on him getting into it.

You can't catch a cat that doesn't want to be caught. These are not pets; they may look like it at times, but they certainly don't act like it. When people drop them off, they won't do it in front of a house (otherwise someone might rid the planet of them); they go to a wooded area close by and just throw them out of the car. Some die almost immediately, either by getting run over or something eats them. The rest migrate until they come to a house, and by the time they get here, they're wild and scared and starving.

I'm also not going to waste time on a trap. That's just perpetrating the problem. No one wanted them before; why would anyone want them now? I know for a fact that the local animal shelter kills most of the cats that are brought in immediately, and I'm not big on making someone else do my dirty work so I feel better about myself.

So the only way left is the pistol.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I didn't know you lived here.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
When i was a child my auntie kept chickens and she thought her chickens were being bothered by foxes at night so she put down some rat poison in some meat.
A couple of days later her friends dog died....... she had been allowing her dog to roam the streets at night. My auntie never told her what she had done.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Must be some kind of extreme cat problem if they are killing the chickens though.
I have farmer mates, and the 'barn cats' go for mice not the chickens, and they keep other cats away.
I've never heard of killing cats as a thing, surprised it is needed, must be cat central where the member lives...or they are built like lions or something lol

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

You stated that they had been dropped off by city slickers sometimes declawed.
I consider feral as not coming from a human home..... maybe I am mistaken.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Is that an expensive way to do it? How much is one round of ammo?
Nice and quick though, I have no problem with protecting chickens from predators, animal suffering would be my issue, but a quick shot and dead, well so be it.
You should get a couple of 'barn cats' well fed, they'll keep predators away, save you the job.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Good point.
I looked online and it says it is unlikely that a cat would kill a full grown chicken.
Maybe Redneck just likes killing cats.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

We usually let a few cats live at the barn, as long as they stay there. Like you say, they keep the rat population under control. As long as they do that, they're fine.

Our little issue with cats comes and goes. It's like people all of a sudden decide this is prime dumping ground, then they'll use someplace else for a while. Right now, we've seen no less than 4 cats roaming around close by. One almost got a chicken the other day, one was attacked by the turkey, and one scared the crippled chicken my wife keeps as a pet in a pen out back (no way a cat is going to get to her in one of my cages, though).

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Where my parents lived in Spain people would drop dogs off and leave them. Would you shoot dogs?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Cat killing aside, your rural sounding environment sounds amazing. I used to keep chickens but moving to a smaller property I can't really now, it would have to be a factory caged hens type situation and that's not for me.
The price of a sea view, less land because it is so expensive.
My hens loved broccoli especially, but any leftover food they'd munch. I never gave them chicken even though I know they will happily eat each other if one dies lol

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Get big scary cats and they will keep the other unwelcomed cats away not just keep the rat population down.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

My previous cat was also adopted and when i took her for her first check up the vet found three air gun pellets in her....some people enjoy shooting at cats.
edit on 2-1-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join