It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN fears more peacekeeper scandals (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The UN is afraid, that the peace keeping soldiers abused their power in African countries. Earlier this years they have arrested six memebers of UN forces, that have abused young women in Congo.
But now new information came out about abuse in other countries: Burundi, Liberia, Ivory Coast and also the island of Haiti.

english.aljazeera.net
UN officials fear the sex-abuse scandal among peacekeepers in Africa is more widespread and appears to be a problem in each of the global body's 16 missions around the world.

"We think this will look worse before it begins to look better," Jane Holl Lute, assistant secretary-general for peacekeeping operations, said. "We expect that more information will come from every mission on allegations. We are prepared for that."

"We do share concerns that sexual abuse could be widespread, could exist in other places," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher told reporters, noting Washington believed the idea of naming countries that fail to act against offenders was worth considering.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The undersecretary general for peacekeeping, Jean-Marie Guehenno said that they have avoided revelaing the countries, that were hesitating to court martial the guilty troops.
In Congo there are currently 11.000 military personnel, that help to keep peace in this country. This is the largest UN peace keeping force today, out of 60.000 UN troops stationed in about 16 international missions world wide.

[edit on 26-2-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
i dont know who to ask,
but i have received a u2u saying that the link doesnt work,
and that i should fix it.

but it works for me.
does anyone else have the problem with the link?

thanks!

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
A secondary link may help.
Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yeah, perhaps another source other than aljezeera would be usefull...not that I agree, but just using that as the source is going to get your post flamed.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
thanks for the info!
but i cant edit the original post anymore.
anways, here is another link:
reuters
related link:
news.bbc

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think you better u2u a mod to see if they can help you out. Don't let the story die, it is very newsworthy.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
do you know which mod is responsible for ATSNN?
i just receive u2u's from ATSNN board, no specific name,
and i cannot answer to them.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Not sure....but your best bet would be Banshee who is on now and who has always helped me out when needed.

top topics

join