It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland should leave the UK and NI should reunite with Ireland

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

A lot of the poor souls that find themselves unemployed or unemployable end up caught in a type of catch 22 situation.

Jobs are one thing but stable employment that pays enough to live on and survive can indeed be rather few and far between, or so it seems to me these days.

I agree that employment opportunities vary from one area to the next, but if that's the case then so should their system come and go with the clientele it's there to support and provide for.

End of the day if you don't pay and provide your workforce with the necessary monies and hours to earn a decent wage that's hardly employment and more like indentured servitude.

edit on 18-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Don't you imagine us "Lazy Brits" wish Christmas presents for there kids also?

Nothing to do with laziness more about lack of opportunities and crap minimum wage monkey work that essentially pays peanuts.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
I've got plenty of mates on minimum wage who are happy and doing alright.
It is laziness choosing to be on benefits, again ask any eastern European if there is work to be found.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Are there kids doing alright?

Who the hell is happy on a minimum wage???

How? Where? And why?

Think about that for the moment people being happy to exist on the very minimum, what does that equate to or say about our nation in general?

Not much, that's a given!

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

How? Where? And why?

Think about that for the moment people being happy to exist on the very minimum, what does that equate to or say about our nation in general?

That's where it gets a bit trickier and i agree the safety net should be better.

However, if people are unhappy earning minimum wage then the onus is on them to get better qualifications (vocational or academic) so they can get a better job. Ultimately, people have to take responsibility for their own situations - it is not up to society to improve their lives, it is down to them.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

I would argue that it is indeed up to our society to improve all our lives, else what's the darn point in participating?

People require more than just being able to survive in any first world nation stands to reason really.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Working tax credits and child tax credits,all my mates kids are happy as well.
You are a drama queen mate, maybe if Scots didn't drink so much booze they'd have more money to spend on their kids.
Scotland, the alcoholic nation of the UK.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Back to the borderline racist nonsensical anecdotes.....again? LoL

One has to wonder why that seems to be your default fallback position in many a thread here on ATS these days?

Consider the notion that if we were ever to pay our minimum workforce a fair day wage for a fair days work then there would be a hell of a less need for the likes of Working tax credits and/or Child tax credits.

You simply refuse to see the forest for the trees mate, maybe its because you are happy chopping wood?

Me, i want gold nuggets, not chicken nuggets.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

How? Where? And why?

That's where it gets a bit trickier and i agree the safety net should be better.

However, if people are unhappy earning minimum wage then the onus is on them to get better qualifications (vocational or academic) so they can get a better job. Ultimately, people have to take responsibility for their own situations - it is not up to society to improve their lives, it is down to them.

There are a limited number of decent paying jobs available. If one person does improve their lot by getting a better job it's usually at the expense of someone else not getting it.

Also getting those qualifications is considerably more difficult when you are on a minimum wage job.

It might be individuals responsibility to improve themselves, but it's societies responsibility to maje sure the opportunity is there to do so.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Another thing to consider is that rather an alarming percentage of our college and university graduates still manage to end up working in a minimum or low wage jobs such as McDonald's or KFC(actually some of the better ones) after they leave our education system.

Most good jobs these days want the work experience to go with the degree, and sometimes it can be rather hard to accumulate both at the same time.

Let's just say it's not easy, even for the privileged few that manage to obtain an education these days.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Working tax credits and child tax credits,all my mates kids are happy as well.
You are a drama queen mate, maybe if Scots didn't drink so much booze they'd have more money to spend on their kids.
Scotland, the alcoholic nation of the UK.

Sorry Cornish but this is one those times you're opening your mouth and letting your belly rumble, I haven't had a drink since the Friday before Halloween, I've been trying to find any jobs at all, (not much work going as a landscaper just now) so I don't have to sign on, and I picked up the only job going, £50 a day to gut out an old steading, about 6 and a half hours a day. It's dirty work (I enjoy manual labour and working on old buildings so have job satisfaction) and asking for more money would be the difference between having some work and not.

I started my Christmas shopping last night on Amazon and have the rest of the week, after work, to get the rest. I'm just lucky the Mrs has got a decent amount for the kids already and the only reason she managed that is she's on P. I. P.. and E. S. A.

I've struggled badly the past few Christmas's and I have the same sort of work ethic as my Eastern European friends and constantly push myself to work harder.

In fact, I've found it so hard getting work over the years that I've kinda screwed myself out of a pension by working mostly cash-in-hand for the past 10 years or more, then there are the security firms I worked for that claimed to pay my tax and NI but didn't.

You know what though? I'm still smiling, sometimes I wonder what's wrong with me!

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

a reply to: ScepticScot

Another thing to consider is that rather an alarming percentage of our college and university graduates still manage to end up working in a minimum or low wage jobs such as McDonald's or KFC(actually some of the better ones) after they leave our education system.

What do you say to someone who has a degree in Psychology?

"Big Mac and Fries please!"

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Back to the borderline racist nonsensical anecdotes.....again? LoL

How is it racist? It's a fact, and why the Scottish govt have put that extra booze tax on your alcohol because of the specific problem up there.
MSM link

More alcohol-related deaths occur in Scotland than in any other part of the UK, according to new figures.

Incidents linked to drink made up 31.2 deaths per 100,000 for males in Scotland, compared with 20.3 in Northern Ireland, 19.9 in Wales, and 18.1 in England

You gonna deny there is a problem? I stand by my words, minimum wage is not that bad if you don't piss up all your money on booze.
I live on an effectively minimum wage because I'm lazy and do 2 days work a week usually, I have a 10 quid a month crappy phone, don't have the full sky package, and go half's with my neighbour on their wifi/internet.

edit on 18-12-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: quote issues

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
Harsh one with the work situation mate, plenty of work around here, you should move down.
I'm self employed as well, have been for years (general building/maintenance) but if work is hard to find I can walk into an agency tomorrow and start work at a crab processing factory or a pasty factory the next day...proper Cornish stereotype I know, but that's the industry here when there are no tourists.
I've done it before and I'll do it again if I'm skint and need work.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

It's a silly stupid generalization, which if you cannot grasp, suggests rather a lot really.

I'm going to suggest that of the multitude of other problems people on low pay minimum wage face, alcoholism, and/or the cost of such is just about neither here nor there.

They cannot feed themselves their children, nor heat there homes appropriately for Christ sake.

A drink is the least of most poor peoples problems.

As to your phone brand, and internet provider, that's your own concern, if its an issue for you then go make more money with all that great work doing the rounds, problem alleviated i imagine.

Insinuate a race of people are alcoholics and then start bumping your gums about mobiles and Sky TV???

That's bloody priceless really.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Dude as I said most of my mates are on minimum wage and are happy. You just whinge all the time and make out life is #...I'm just glad I'm not as miserable as you are.
I'm not complaining about my crappy phone, it does the job and seems indestructable which is handy working on building sites.
I'm not moaning about not having Sky either, I don't actually own a TV, just making the point about crap spending choices.

In a previous career life I was a debt adviser with CAB until austerity cut the funding for my job.
The overwhelming majority of people struggling made crap life and spending choices, the current account statement never lies.
I was almost glad to be made redundant, got sick of dealing with stupid people...full sky package, iPhones for all the kids, Home delivery food pizzas, £1000 sofas etc...yadda yadda...
edit on 18-12-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added £1000 sofas

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Insinuate a race of people are alcoholics...
Dude the figures speak for themselves, Scotland is a nation of drunks compared to the rest of the UK nations.
Why do you think you are the only nation with that new extra tax on alcohol? You can't be trusted not to buy that White lightning cider if it is cheap lol.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The figures, just like the unemployment statistics represent exactly what "They" wish them to show.

The tax on alcohol is not about curbing alcoholism or the habits of alcoholics, it about maximizing revenue generation on a very taxable product.

Plain as day really, and to believe otherwise is rather short-sighted

All the increase in cost of alcohol products will serve to achieve is to turn the vulnerable people who are affected with alcoholism, and that cannot afford to feed there habit, to other hard drugs.

After all when Smack is cheaper than Cider what do you imagine happens next?

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

We in the North East would veto any Indy vote for Scotland unless a soft border was guaranteed.

There's a number of established 'trade' agreements that could be compromised otherwise.

I'm in the North East, "The North" is South of us. It shows how little us Scot's are thought of when people say (not that you did, almost but it reminded me of this) people in the North or England or the North East of England say they love in Northern or North East of the UK.

Had to have a whinge about it to give Cornish some fuel for his Anti-Scottish fire..
edit on 18/12/18 by djz3ro because: Fix things

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: djz3ro
Harsh one with the work situation mate, plenty of work around here, you should move down.
I'm self employed as well, have been for years (general building/maintenance) but if work is hard to find I can walk into an agency tomorrow and start work at a crab processing factory or a pasty factory the next day...proper Cornish stereotype I know, but that's the industry here when there are no tourists.
I've done it before and I'll do it again if I'm skint and need work.

I've done the agency thing but the work through them was very intermittent. I'm considering trying to go into the same line of work as you, building on the skills I've picked up in the building and gardening trades.

Cornwall is the only part of England I could live in as well.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join