It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland should leave the UK and NI should reunite with Ireland

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: shooterbrody
I support high import tariffs on Scotch in any independence situation, # them, they decided to leave the UK so I'd support distillers in England and Wales instead.
It's not like they are the only ones who know how to make it, they're just the biggest alcoholics in the current UK.

It's all about the water though, it's abundant up here and also very, very clean. Unlike certain parts of the UK (I remember Cornish water being quite nice, though it was half a lifetime ago I was down there)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

a reply to: JAGStorm

Pmsl!
Do you know what the Scots want? To remain in the EU and adopt the Euro as their currency!
That ain't independence lol

Well that's their choice. Maybe independence from England/Ireland.

It's like this, I didn't vote for Trump, I was voting for NOT Hillary.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

a reply to: djz3ro
Star for a good point.
You may find the next UK government is a Labour/SNP coalition, that would put the cat among the pigeons lol

I'd love to see that particular cat in the pigeons, if even just to see what happens.

One thing I will say, during the Scottish Referendum a lot of my friends in Newcastle, Durham, Liverpool and Leeds/Reading areas were saying they'd love a party like the SNP looking after them and that if they could vote for the SNP in a General Election, they would. It might have more support than some think.

link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy
If the Scots did become independent, there's a lot to be said for Ulster uniting with Scotland.
There's a long tangled network of relationships between Ulster and western Scotland.
In particular, the fact that the original "Scots" moved from Ulster to occupy Argyll.
Conversely, and even more relevantly, the Ulster Presbyterians who are the real reason for the existence of a "Northern Ireland problem" were imported from Scotland in the first place, in the seventeenth century.
Also the natural communications are with Scotland. The ferry port for Ulster is Stranraer, not any port in England.

link   
I've been around the world but never made it to Scotland. Got mates from Scotland though, I enjoy the feast every Burn's night, I love the tatties neeps and haggis.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Now why would we want to do that, especially now you have created a word which is a smorgashboard of all our languages

MakeEnglandAndWalesGreatAgain

or

MEAWGA, i am sure i have heard similar in the lochs as well as the valleys, drink may have been involved.

Hey i am all for leaving the EU but not for chopping up our piece of land, if we are stuck together we stay together

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I've been around the world but never made it to Scotland. Got mates from Scotland though, I enjoy the feast every Burn's night, I love the tatties neeps and haggis.

You should come up for a reccy sometime, preferably before you need a passport haha.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
As someone who's family. Lineage comes from Ulster Ireland I agree.

I would love nothing more than to see Irish soveirgnty

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
One of the things that this whole Brexit business has thrown into stark relief is just how little the English understand about Ireland and Northern Ireland. And what short memories they have.

Remember how not so many years ago there were constant terrorist attacks in Ireland, Northern Ireland, and England? Remember how those stopped?

Reunification of Ireland and NI would restart the bloodshed. The Unionists will shed blood before they see reunification. The Republicans will respond in kind. And we'll back to the bad old days of the troubles. And the Irish terrorists were one darned sight more effective than those useless stupid Muslim terrorists.

As for Scottish Independence and 'whinging scots being a sponge on the nations resources', that's quite a statement coming from somebody from Cornwall - one of the poorest regions of the UK - a region that subsists on massive Government and EU handouts to keep them viable.

If England had any sense, it would eject sponging lazy inept Cornwall before it ejected Scotland.

But hey, ain't it grand how Brexit has utterly destroyed the United Kingdom.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

What's the deal with the unionist?

Which ones are the IRA? Are the Catlicks the unionist?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
If England had any sense, it would eject sponging lazy inept Cornwall before it ejected Scotland.
Genuinely laughed out loud reading that.

...I'd give NI a referendum on unification right now. I'd hope they voted to leave the UK and become the problem of Ireland instead of ours.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Before I join this conversation, I must learn what the term "whinging" means.
NVM , may be I dont need to know .
Carry on

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I feel the same in a sense but honestly what would that solve? Scotland has already been told that they cannot join the EU as a member state (contrary to what is claimed Spain will veto it). NI does not want to break away from the UK, they have said so, the polls have shown that they do not want to be away from the UK. Scotland has been told that they would not be able to use the Pound because its value would be controlled by a foreign government (which international law does not allow) the number of Scots who want to leave are very low almost as low as the number of people wanting to leave.

Brexit is being used as a scapegoat and a way to force Scots to leave when they don't want to and if you think the Irish border is a problem then what about when Scotland becomes a separate state? Who will man that border? It doesn't solve the problem. On Brexit, the issues we are having over trades and talks is simply because and here's something that won't shock you THE EU DOESN'T WANT A GOOD DEAL. They see the calls for a second vote (although the same as it has always been in numbers) and so they don't have to demand it so instead they will just sit and wait to see what happens. Remember the no deal Brexit isn't really a no deal issue, it should be called the WTO Brexit the reason it is called a crash or no deal Brexit is to scare the people, as said the other day in the EU parliament the UK leave is like 19 small and medium nations leaving the EU on the same day at the same time and any bad deal for the UK would be a bad deal for the EU.

Scotland can leave but who pays for the border who mans the border. Ireland can become a single country again and unite but the NI people don't want to. The threat of the Irish Border bringing back wars and killings etc. has been over blown and very unlikely, EU has said they will not put a border there, the Irish leaders (on both sides) have said the same and the UK has said the same.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I star and flagged your thread. I'm a Scot. If we don't get a Brexit I don't think I can stomach living here anymore. Glasgow is down the toilet at this point. There are things I can't voice. The Anti Brexiters/Anti Trumpers are not so bright, but very vocal and TRIGGERED.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: maya27

Far cry from the Anglo-Norman days huh?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I agree with you CCG, Scotland Should be independent and Ireland should unite, Then we can sit back and piss ourselves laughing as little England disappears up its own arsehole, shamefully dragging the Welsh in as well.

The English wouldn't know what true independence was as it's had to survive by stealing the wealth from countries all over the globe for centuries. And that is an undeniable fact. To this day England still rapes Scotland of its wealth and natural resources.

Scotland doesn't need England, Never has done. You #ers are holding us back.

Stick that on the side of a bus.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: maya27

There are things I can't voice.

As a fellow Scot, what's so bad that you can't voice it? I don't live in Glasgow but I'm there a decent amount, none of my friends there think it's circling the u-bend. Sure it has its' problems, like lack of social housing and junkies, loads and loads of junkies but show me a city in the UK that isn't just now...
edit on 14/12/18 by djz3ro because: Format

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

To this day England still rapes Scotland of its wealth and natural resources.

Scotland doesn't need England, Never has done. You #ers are holding us back.

Stick that on the side of a bus.

You and I both know this but for some reason people have a hard time getting their heads round it.

They aren't aware that Wiskey, made in Scotland, exported from English ports earns the same taxes exported from Scottish ports, only the taxes go to England not Scotland, you don't see the same thing with Yorkshire Pudding or Cornish Pasties.

Then there's the oil reserves that were dwindling and worth nothing and then they discovered a new massive oil field in the North Sea that will last us for a long time to come.

But of course Project Fesr was an invention of this Referendum, it was never in operation to stop us leaving the UK...

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The revenge of the EU will be the break-up of the UK. The whole EU angle has been to weaken the UK, and I suppose it was naive to think otherwise. The Northern Ireland Backstop is part of that equation, as is the disruption that plays into the populist Scottish nationalists.

I am all for democracy and self-determination, but parts of the UK cannot be broken off without a majority wishing that to happen.

Polls in Northern Ireland especially, show a big margin for remaining part of the UK, even with the obvious unification goals of the Republic of Ireland's politicking around Brexit.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Seriously, the Scots are whining that they want to be part of the EU and adopt the Euro currency, Ireland/NI are the biggest problem for Brexit regarding border control, so I say go, walk out the door, don't turn around now, coz you ain't welcome anymore.

I think you may find that there are quite a vocal section in Northern Ireland (or Ulster!) that won't go along with that and do not want to be part of a united Ireland, so good luck with that!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join