It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland should leave the UK and NI should reunite with Ireland

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
Had to have a whinge about it to give Cornish some fuel for his Anti-Scottish fire..
Lmao!

I'm most definitely in the South West of this island.
I'm not anti Scottish anyway lol, I just find myself arguing with Scots quite often.
More Scots should pop into the banter cafe thread and share some tunes, bit of chit chat and banter, it's a great break from political bickering, and nice to get to know members as people not just debating opponents.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Well I am Scottish worked since I left school bought my first house in my early 20's a one bed flat mortgage was about 3.5 to 4x our combined income that's just over 30 years ago now in a 5 bed detached house should pay off mortgage next year to 18 months.

I have been unemployed a couple of times but took out insurance to cover sickness/unemployment never been a drinker,never had the full sky package and spend less than £10 a month on a mobile.

I have had some well paid jobs in the past but due to illness haven't been earning anywhere near what I earned in the past yet I still get by, council tax alone on my house is just under £2500 a year my priorites have never been drinking, bingo, the horses or sky tv. My parents had low paid jobs factory worker & driver I worked smarter and now that's to my benefit paid 40 years into the system but I will get NOTHING if I made a benefit claim.

Yes their are people who need help, that there is no doubt but others milk the system to many young people live for now but that will turn round and bite them in the ass when they are older.
edit on 18-12-2018 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Life tends to turn around and bite one in the arse as you get older no matter what you do.

Yes indeed people need help and yes indeed others milk the system.

But look at the system? And look at who is milking it?

Is it the people it's there to protect or the bastards that operate said system?

The truth of the matter is it's both.

But the fact of the matter is that a lot of rich privileged twats, that don't know their arse from there elbow, are making a hell of a lot of money at the expense of our unemployed, poor, mentally infirm, and disabled members of our respective communities.

Plainly clear that our Gooberment is operating something reminiscent of a stealth war against people with disabilities and the poor, truth is there is a measure of eugenics at play just under the surface.

edit on 18-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
truth is there is a measure of eugenics at play just under the surface.

Dude you really are a drama queen, eugenics now???! FFS mate that's stretching it too far now, you really think there is a process to kill disabled people off?
I think families should do more for the elderly and disabled, my old mum got her downstairs bathroom made by family and friends, team effort, almost a community effort, not whinging that social services should do it, we did it ourselves.
We call our society down here our 'Life Tribes' people who help each other.
Your community sounds broken to # if you don't have that.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Open your eyes CornishCeltGuy!

People are dying because of the likes of ATOS and the DWP, because of the Tory swine behind them!

By there own hand and by assessment no less!

Around 70% of appeals are overturned in favor of the client, but that's only if they make it that far!

Like i said Eugenics!

Learn something about the history of your own nation where that subject is concerned, learn that it never really went away.

For your own sake if not for any other reason.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: djz3ro
Harsh one with the work situation mate, plenty of work around here, you should move down.
I'm self employed as well, have been for years (general building/maintenance) but if work is hard to find I can walk into an agency tomorrow and start work at a crab processing factory or a pasty factory the next day...proper Cornish stereotype I know, but that's the industry here when there are no tourists.
I've done it before and I'll do it again if I'm skint and need work.

I've done the agency thing but the work through them was very intermittent. I'm considering trying to go into the same line of work as you, building on the skills I've picked up in the building and gardening trades.

Cornwall is the only part of England I could live in as well.

Well if you ever make it down here I could get you labouring work with the guy I do most of my work for, plenty of work, he owns nearly a hundred properties and they all need attention.
Labouring is £80 cash a day, but if you have a skill like plastering then it's £120 a day cash.
Shout me if you ever plan moving this way and I'll hook you up with him.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Eugenics is a strong word mate, I don't believe it, I just see budget cuts and stricter rules on disability benefits.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The reason being austerity or a more manageable population that's know better to expect anything other than the whip?

Study some history, see what we have gotten up to, past and present where our practice of eugenics is concerned.

It's not pretty but it is a major part of any class war.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Is this such a good idea, in these times where things are not so stable, to add to that instability? After all for over 300 years, both countries have been joined together, starting off with the death of a monarch, that would join both Scotland and England together as one country, under one rule. And if anything the Brexit should have taught most of us, is that the politicians do not always tell the truth, tending to bend or outright lie to get the votes to go in their favor.

Both countries, have a long history and the benefits have flowed from both countries to the other side.

A break up of that kind of union, is never easy, and would be messy, things never go as are planned. And like any divorce, the assets and debts are also split.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

We are not talking about Paul the Painter here who works casual and claims he has a sore back yet plays footie at the weekend.

People with serious health problems and mental health issues are being pretty much consigned to oblivion by our own government health and work programs.

No need for camps when the UK is one big Buchenwald.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Funny I know people on benefits that took themselves to Florida on holiday 2 years on the trot them and their 2 kids they also have a car also had a new kitchen in the rented house they were in only about 5 years after it was built granted that was a few years ago but just after that I was unemployed didn't even get help with my council tax

just as well that I prepared for such events.

As for appeals do you everbody that was turned down or are those the people that had milked the system over the years that is a genuine question.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

"As for appeals do you everbody that was turned down or are those the people that had milked the system over the years that is a genuine question."

Do i what everybody that was turned down?

Know them personally you mean?

The answer to that is rather apparent, but i do know a few, and have even helped some of them win/fight/survive their battle against the tyrannical heartless bastards that have placed them in such a position.

And what do you know, they all have won so far, not down to me, but down to law!

Maybe we should confiscate their passports and then they cannot go to Florida eh?

And how dare the unemployed or unhealthy have a car!

As to the kitchen, would that not be the landlord that owned that if the property is rented?

There are people who milk the system but for every 10 of those there are 1000s of people in genuine need, something worth considering.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Your perception of Scotland sounds awful, glad I don't live there.
Everyone sounds like they are skint reading your posts.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Accept its not just Scotland that's in the exact same predicament.

Reality is what it is.

Not everyone is skint, but poor people sure are, that's a given.

But nevermind eh, Brexit will fix the whole mess in no time sharp. LoL

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Harsh one with the work situation mate, plenty of work around here, you should move down.
I'm self employed as well, have been for years (general building/maintenance) but if work is hard to find I can walk into an agency tomorrow and start work at a crab processing factory or a pasty factory the next day...proper Cornish stereotype I know, but that's the industry here when there are no tourists.
I've done it before and I'll do it again if I'm skint and need work.

I've done the agency thing but the work through them was very intermittent. I'm considering trying to go into the same line of work as you, building on the skills I've picked up in the building and gardening trades.

Cornwall is the only part of England I could live in as well.

Well if you ever make it down here I could get you labouring work with the guy I do most of my work for, plenty of work, he owns nearly a hundred properties and they all need attention.
Labouring is £80 cash a day, but if you have a skill like plastering then it's £120 a day cash.
Shout me if you ever plan moving this way and I'll hook you up with him.

I can do plaster repairs, I've done a little bit of taping and have helped plaster whole rooms before but it was more roofing and building I picked up some skills in. My mate Cornish John always said the going rate for labouring down there was higher than up here, I just didn't realise how much.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
£400 a week cash in hand labouring and a one bedroom house is £450 a month.
My 20 year old son pays £430 a month for his cottage next door, got a better sea view than me, takes home £320 a week because he's on the books but his missus takes home £300 working at a mobile phone shop so they are minted.
Honestly mate, life is good down here.
Come down I'll hook you up with work.
EDIT
Roofing skills is good, my mate did all that and I laboured for him until the twat fell off a cliff one night drunk a couple of years ago.
EDIT
My son has cheap rent with his house and sea view because he pays cash rent, cash is king down here...cards and digital payment is avoided at all costs for obvious reasons lol.
edit on 18-12-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I'm £580 a month for 3 bedroom house, my income per week varies through.

£450 a pcm seems rather extreme, guess the view is good all the same? And that counts for a lot just where peace of mind is concerned.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Rent is expensive down here mate, you'll not find a 3 bed house for less than £700 a month.
Or if you do it'll be some scabby place run down..

You are right though, being by the sea is good for emotional well being. My soul would die in an inland city for sure.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Aye location seems to be the ticket.

Kind of the reason why i will never touch another council/housing association property.

The thing with council housing is the people next to you, and whilst most are the salt of the Earth, a few bamsticks in the woodpile somewhat spoil the broth.

Coming from both sides of the proverbial train track i know what side my bread is buttered.
edit on 19-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Hardly any social housing here, only available for people with kids/disabled, and what there is can take months waiting in B&B accommodation.
If someone with kids is being kicked out of their place then they have to wait until the actual day of eviction before the council will put them in a B&B.
Single folk no help at all, but they will pay housing benefit for caravan parks and campsites, summer isn't so bad to live in a tent, and at least there are hot showers and toilets.

South West Water company bills are also the highest in the UK...it is expensive to live here for sure.
I wouldn't live anywhere else though, even if I won the lottery this would still be my base...I'd just be somewhere hot from October to March lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join