It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Muh Campaign Finance"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
This is what the usual anti-Trump crowd simply does not get: actual legal experts mostly think the charge is garbage.

Then why's the dude in PRISON?

Mainly, he was trying to cheat the IRS out of taxes he owed on the taxi medallions he owns. And he supposedly lied about when Trump stopped pursuing plans to build a Trump tower in Moscow.

By way of comparison, Pappadopolous got 2 weeks on his false statement charge, and Flynn will likely get no jail time.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

SoOo... are you saying that a person in politics cannot spend personal monies on a private legal contract?

No , I'm saying a Presidential candidate can't pay hush money to stop allegations that may hurt his campaign.

/facepalm

Indeed.

link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Threatened

link   
a reply to: gortex

No , I'm saying a Presidential candidate can't pay hush money to stop allegations that may hurt his campaign.

please by all means site the fec statute for that made up bs

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

One also has to wonder why a campaign finance law violation was put before the Southern District of New York, a court that rarely tries campaign finance violations and appears, on the surface, to not know much about the laws at all.

Judge shopping perhaps?

Yes, something is afoot. All of this is a part of the witch hunt.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

SoOo... are you saying that a person in politics cannot spend personal monies on a private legal contract?

/facepalm

Indeed.

Yes he can.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Do you not see the reason ?
If it's OK for a Presidential candidate to pay hush money regarding sexual impropriety then it's OK for a Presidential candidate to pay hush money for any allegation that could hurt their campaign , it's deceptive behavior and it's corrupt.

link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

Yes he can.

TBC.

link   

a reply to: shooterbrody

Do you not see the reason ?
If it's OK for a Presidential candidate to pay hush money regarding sexual impropriety then it's OK for a Presidential candidate to pay hush money for any allegation that could hurt their campaign , it's deceptive behavior and it's corrupt.

please site the fec statute you base this opinion on?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The argument would be that the hush money was only paid in this instance because of the pending election. When did Trump cheat on Melania with these women?

When were they paid off?

I know the Stormy Daniels thing was talked about years back. That In Touch Weekly interview was done back in 2011. He wasn't concerned enough with it to buy her silence in 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. She got her $130k 11 days before the election.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The argument would be that the hush money was only paid in this instance because of the pending election. When did Trump cheat on Melania with these women?

When were they paid off?

I know the Stormy Daniels thing was talked about years back. That In Touch Weekly interview was done back in 2011. He wasn't concerned enough with it to buy her silence in 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. She got her $130k 11 days before the election.

That doesn't matter, according to Smith. He makes this point on the matter.

To use a more pertinent example, imagine a wealthy entrepreneur who decides to run for office. Like many men and women with substantial business activities, at any one time there are likely several lawsuits pending against him personally, or against those various businesses. The candidate calls in his company attorney: “I want all outstanding lawsuits against our various enterprises settled.” His lawyer protests that the suits are without merit — the company should clearly win at trial, and he should protect his reputation of not settling meritless lawsuits. “I agree that these suits lack merit,” says our candidate, “but I don’t want them as a distraction during the campaign, and I don’t want to take the risk that the papers will use them to portray me as a heartless tycoon. Get them settled.”

The settlements in this hypothetical are made “for the purpose of influencing the election,” yet they are not “expenditures” under the Federal Election Campaign Act. Indeed, if they were, the candidate would have to pay for them with campaign funds. Thus, an unscrupulous but popular businessman could declare his candidacy, gather contributions from the public, use those contributions to settle various preexisting lawsuits, and then withdraw from the race. A nice trick!

But in fact, the contrary rule prevails, because the candidate’s obligation to resolve the business’s lawsuits exists “irrespective” of the campaign. Similarly, any payments made to women by Mr. Trump or his associates are independent of the campaign.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

The question is, would he have made the payments even if he wasn't running for president?

It doesn't matter before he ran for President what matters is that he made hush money payments when he was running for the highest job in the land.

I find it sad that people don't see the problem with that.
edit on 13-12-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Yes he can.

TBC.

Believe it or not, anyone, including presidential candidates, can pay hush-money for silence. It's whether he used campaign funds and didn't report it that is the potential issue.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Can you imagine what you'd be saying right now if this were Hillary in his shoes?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

/facepalm

Indeed.

Actually, it is called a Non Disclosure Agreement, not "Hush Money."

Something a lot of people sign... I am under 3 right now.

And the candidate most certainly can.

Just can't do it with campaign contributions.

I typed that as slowly as I could and I couldn't make the words any smaller.

I hope that helped.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It doesn't matter before he ran for President what matters is that he made hush money payments whren he was running for the highest job in the land.

according to fec statutes it does
trump has paid off women before and had nda's before

I find it sad that people don't see the problem with that.

oh i have a problem with it
it is just not illegal
when he actually does something illegal i hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Can you imagine what you'd be saying right now if this were Hillary in his shoes?

Actually, her husband Bill did it many times DURING his first term and in the runup of his second term.

Not a big deal was made about it because at the time, rational people understood that it wasn't a crime.

So the only people trying to make a big deal about it are NeverTrumpers.

You know, since they are not actually grounded in reality anyways...

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I'll let you keep imagining what I would say, because that seems to be all you got.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

When were they paid off?

Or Cohen paid it when she asked for it, since she figured she could make a lot more money if he was going to be President.

Paid for it with his own money, if we are to believe his first version of the story.

Can you please, since you are good at this, research for me where in the Campaign Finance laws that it says that it is illegal to pay for a NDA with personal monies?

Thank you in advance...

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Bill needed to be impeached tho amirong?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join