It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the internet kill conspiracies?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yes i try to explain this to my daughter how books are important, how it is a workout for your imagination, instead of having the picture displayed to you from an outside stimuli, you create the picture, the scenes, feel the emotions more and your senses. Not to mention easier to become a world memory champion... They all use the method of loci, an ancient mnemonic memory method that utilises highly imaginative characters in images to denote thing to remember and place these things on known routes to the person.

Imagination is powerful

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
🎵🎶Internet killed the conspiracy theory
Internet killed the conspiracy theory
In my mind and on my screen
We can't rewind it's all been seen

Oh oh oh oh oh🎵🎶

Phew...sorry bout that...

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

so do they dig...

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 2Faced

'banned' 'censored' 'shadowbanned'... everything is possible.
...get used of living in a world/west without free-speech.

compare to 2010... Is internet still a way to communicate (freely) 2018 ?

A Decline of humanity , and mediocre minds rule the masses.
A endless political show as an distraction.
Celebs telling us how to think
SJW /PC and no fun.

Add it all together and getting banned is the least or the problems.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
a reply to: 2Faced

'banned' 'censored' 'shadowbanned'... everything is possible.
...get used of living in a world/west without free-speech.

compare to 2010... Is internet still a way to communicate (freely) 2018 ?

A Decline of humanity , and mediocre minds rule the masses.
A endless political show as an distraction.
Celebs telling us how to think
SJW /PC and no fun.

Add it all together and getting banned is the least or the problems.

Haha, aren't you just a a ray of sunshine, frenchfries!?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Maybe The Illuminati/TPTB invented the internet in order to kill conspiracies.

It was all financed by the Rothschilds.

edit on 2018/12/13 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Scored this from our member 'Quadlink' www.youtube.com...

This is the kind of stuff that interests. Some choose to believe, others not so much...brought to by the internet oddly enough..

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Reading reinforced imagination, as people read less books and watch more video content imagination begins to pale. People mistakenly believe there is nothing new to discover, nothing left to learn. We keep losing the magical in the world.

That's one of my main prerogatives when creating a thread, is to bring something forward no one knows much about or even heard of before.

Can't always hit that mark but believe me, there is plenty room for growth. The unknown still offers rich exploitation for those with initiative.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

HaHa..

Footprints of dinosaurs ..
So many games so little time... what's the point. you(plural) are too obvious.
With me it's all nothing up my slave numbers... Ray of sunshine , maybe , or just a fluctuation in the quantum.
Enjoy your hosts.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

and unfortunately the tales told by idiots have the same weight on the page as those told by people who actually understand subjects. When those tales reinforce confirmation bias they go unchallenged and spread like a disease.

The internet not only creates conspiracy theories it allows them to spread and infect the minds of the gullible regardless of any basis in reality they may have.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

I also think one major reason we don't see tons of unknown, strange, or conspiracy topics is because we have covered them in depth many times already.

95% of anything someone might post is rehashed and probably wouldn't be too intriguing.

By merely using the search function you can be lost for hours reading all these great threads from the past and a lot of them still get comments from time to time.

Occasionally something fresh and new pops up and does pretty good.

Recent trends are kinda bizarre though, for example the Mandela Effect and Flat Earthism have caught on and spread like wildfire. Trends like this are indeed noteworthy because it shows us a lot about what's going on and how people think.

Speaking of which, what happened to being able to search by date?

I absolutely Loved that feature. Being able to just go back 2yrs on "most recent" and seeing what the conspiracy world's zeitgeist was at the time was so awesome.
edit on 14-12-2018 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2018 by Chickensalad because: DBCowboy is D.B. Cooper

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo

The internet not only creates conspiracy theories it allows them to spread and infect the minds of the gullible regardless of any basis in reality they may have.

Indeed. I'm very sure that "Chemtrails" would not exist were it not for the internet. And the "Mandela effect" is a more recent example.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Information over load!
and adds, spam, junk & stuff.
in a Book you just read about the subject.

google and others are just muddying the waters.
making it very hard to find secrets and the truth.
and Making you read what They want you to know.

we need a new and free from government internet.
that is in a country they can no use against us.
some thing like the torrent sites.
but just for text/pics/film/forum info.
non of the pirate stuff.

No censorship at all.
but the people who use it can set their own blocks on things.
so people can not spam them. you can not see any thing they post.
I know ATS will not help with this.
because they are Part of the GOV/NWO.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
I'd like to know your thoughts on this and if nothing else, what subject lead you to ATS in the first place.

It used to be that I felt somewhat special and different because I had an interest in unusual subjects that sometimes lead to conspiracies. But with the Internet, it turns out that I'm not all that special because there are thousands of people who have had the same thoughts as me, but have also taken it way out there to the extreme because they're psychotic.

It's that kind of thing that takes some of the fun out of conspiracies. I have no desire to be another nut competing in a nut race filled with people who are actually insane.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My love of conspiracy theories started with an Aunt who "did something during the war at Bletchley Park"

The UK Navy has it under a "forever ban". We've tried to find out what she did but have been told that information will never be released

All we know is that she knew Alan Turing personally and she was a mathmatical genius.

When I was 8 years old, she gave me a book on UFOs, interestingly enough called "Above Top Secret". In the front cover, she wrote "It's time you knew about this stuff"

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Kind of.

The internet holds all the knowledge in the world. Before the internet, it was much harder to collect enough information to adequately explain some things. Which led to speculation, which led to conspiracy theories.

Combine the internet with the exponential increase in studies and research of pretty much everything. There's not much you can't find out in a fairly short period of time.

Now, we can get enough information on whatever given topic to have a good idea of what actually happened.

Knowing what happened reduces the need for speculation and here we are.

Unfortunately, there is also so much information online that is also blatantly false, and correct information is often misinterpreted by folks that don't know how to read what they're looking at.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

Maybe The Illuminati/TPTB invented the internet in order to kill conspiracies.

It was all financed by the Rothschilds.

Unless you're a registered Republican. Then it was a brainchild of George Soros

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I’ll respectfully offer my 2 cents to the thread from the “fresh set of eyes” perspective given many OGs are posting here.

I joined the site as I have been forever interested in conspiracies, technology and the ET phenomenon/UFOlogy. I had essentially gone it alone in terms of my research and thinking about the subjects but then one day about a year ago I actually dug into a thread on here and said “holy S! This site is great!” So much content - excellent content.

Since I joined and spent hours scouting old threads and doing further research - not much new has happened. Other than Sun Spot, it appears to be largely political discussion - which Isn’t my point in joining.

So, I post here-and-there and do a lot of reading. Given what people said about the “old days” I wish I had been there but current state is definitely not what it was held out to be at one point based on comments both here and in many other threads.

But I can say the search function is amazing and there is a ton of fantastic information here!
edit on 28-12-2018 by EnigmaChaser because: Autocorrect.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I first came for the 9/11 conspiracies but found so much more. The OPs that came in with a theory, followed up with well-researched and sourced material to back it are now rare. There were some fantastic OPs where you could spend hours soaking in some interesting knowledge about a conspiracy. Went down many rabbit holes through the years.

The current political heavy discussion is because we are in the middle of the biggest political conspiracy since JFK was assassinated. Somebody did something.. the Russians, Trump's team, or Clinton/Obama with justice dept. It has to be at least one of those three.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
...It was a great read which touched upon Edgar Cayce, Flight 19, and aliens. ... myths,... UFOs, and Atlantis. ...

I still have that love for the unknown but feel the internet actually has a negative effect regarding interest in these subjects.

Seeing that the "Aliens and UFOs" subforum has almost the most comments on ATS, second only to "Breaking News" which is listed at the top, I'd say there's a lot of interest in these subjects (myths/false stories) on ATS. Then again, I'd still call that a "negative effect", but differently from the way you meant that.

2 Timothy 4:3,4 (NW)

3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome* [Or “healthful; beneficial.”] teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.* [Or “to tell them what they want to hear.”] 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories* [Greek: myʹthos, King James Bible: "myths"].

Fable: Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1

A false story, fiction, myth, an invention, falsehood; from the Greek myʹthos. Myʹthos is found at 1 Timothy 1:4; 4:7; 2 Timothy 4:4; Titus 1:14; 2 Peter 1:16.

Myʹthos is the opposite of a·leʹthei·a, “truth,” signifying the manifested, veritable essence of a matter. ... The apostles warned Christians against the danger of being turned away from the truth to false stories, as these had no basis in fact but were the imaginations of men. Judaism was filled with such false stories, the traditions of the elders making up the so-called oral law that came to be incorporated into the Talmud. Judaism, the leading opponent of Christianity in the first century, had been greatly influenced by pagan philosophies and teachings.
The Apocryphal writings abound in false, imaginary stories, such as the one about Daniel’s killing a great dragon with a mixture of pitch, fat, and hair (Addition to Daniel 14:22-26, Dy), and another about Tobias’ getting curative and demon-exorcising powers out of the heart, gall, and liver of a monstrous fish.​—Tobias 6:2-9, 19, Dy.
At 1 Timothy 1:4, Paul instructs Christians not to pay attention to false stories. These can get Christians involved in research of no real benefit and can turn their minds away from the truth. ... The apostle Peter, at 2 Peter 1:16, makes reference to false stories (which are not only fictitious but also artfully and cunningly devised in order possibly to turn a Christian aside) and contrasts these with the true, factual account of the transfiguration, of which he was an eyewitness. (Mr 9:2) Paul, at 2 Timothy 4:3, 4, foretold that at a future time people would willingly turn aside to false stories in preference to the truth.

Also:

One Myth Leads to Another
edit on 28-12-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join