It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the internet kill conspiracies?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist. I do however have a love for the unknown. It started on my first visit to the school library with a book on Atlantis as my first check-out. It was a great read which touched upon Edgar Cayce, Flight 19, and aliens. It allowed my imagination to run wild. There wasn't a book in that library I didn't check out on myths, paranormal, crytozoology, UFOs, and Atlantis. Plus this was in the late 80's so there was Indiana Jones, Alien, and Unsolved Mysteries on TV.

Fast forward 30 some odd years. I still have that love for the unknown but feel the internet actually has a negative effect regarding interest in these subjects. I don't see future generations growing up interested in these topics. I know my two girls don't share my interest in the unknown. The world just seems smaller now and with information at your fingertips, imagination no longer plays a role. I've been visiting ATS since AOL and 28k modems and now it's hard to find any new stories regarding the unknown. Why do you suppose that is?

I'd like to know your thoughts on this and if nothing else, what subject lead you to ATS in the first place.
edit on 13-12-2018 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Stories, fables and mysteries used to go un-challenged, thus they were perpetuated. A time of ignorance. Now any information wanted or related information is at our fingertips.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

Kind of.

The internet holds all the knowledge in the world. Before the internet, it was much harder to collect enough information to adequately explain some things. Which led to speculation, which led to conspiracy theories.

Combine the internet with the exponential increase in studies and research of pretty much everything. There's not much you can't find out in a fairly short period of time.

Now, we can get enough information on whatever given topic to have a good idea of what actually happened.

Knowing what happened reduces the need for speculation and here we are.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
When I first started visiting ATS, for example, the main page was FILLED with so much material on conspiracy subjects. You know, the interesting ones. This was 10 years ago. I think what brought me here was either JFK or 9/11, can’t totally remember.

I never had to go to the ‘new’ tab because there was soooo much just on the main page. I’m actually mad at myself over it, because I missed many threads for years — that didn’t make the main page. For about the last 4 years, all I’m on is the ‘new’ page. Because the main page is filled with mostly political Drabble.

Even the ‘new’ page lacks the intriguing content that brought me here. However, I can partly blame myself for not starting topics that I’m interested in. I think the real problem is, every topic has been beaten to death. So people gravitate to the new times — political upheaval.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
2cent

Not the internet but the manipulation of the internet is killing of conspiracies (on ATS). In fact forums like these are a way to contain the status quo.

In fact now there are more conspiracies than ever.
ATS is not really an conspiracy site anymore , I consider it an enhanced political mud-pit.

I really don't know why people a priori assume that there is exponential increase in studies and research of pretty much everything without bias , without Agenda , without manipulation.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's hard dismiss the fact that in an age with the internet and everyone carrying a phones capable of taking video/pictures proof has yet to be captured and verified. For example, I grew up believing many of the stories I read like the Cash-Landrum and Betty and Barney Hill. I can't help but wonder about those claims these days. Everything seems less feasible these days.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

no - but the internet did kill mailing lists and PBM games

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
As much as the internet gave voices to people with annoying and outlandish ideas, it also gave voices to those smarmy, smartarse, know-it-alls who populate the boards with ridiculous and unfounded debunking shams.

So there is that.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I came here originally looking for information on Blue Light, which was a short-lived special forces unit that has been rumored to still exist as the ultra-secret shadowy unit charged with recovering ufos and other extremely sensitive technology.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I came here originally looking for information on Blue Light, which was a short-lived special forces unit that has been rumored to still exist as the ultra-secret shadowy unit charged with recovering ufos and other extremely sensitive technology.

You reminded me, weren't they known as blue beret's?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I also think one major reason we don't see tons of unknown, strange, or conspiracy topics is because we have covered them in depth many times already.

95% of anything someone might post is rehashed and probably wouldn't be too intriguing.

By merely using the search function you can be lost for hours reading all these great threads from the past and a lot of them still get comments from time to time.

Occasionally something fresh and new pops up and does pretty good.

Recent trends are kinda bizarre though, for example the Mandela Effect and Flat Earthism have caught on and spread like wildfire. Trends like this are indeed noteworthy because it shows us a lot about what's going on and how people think.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
After spending 20+ years on the flight line seeing all kinds of military planes come and go at night, I saw something before sunrise that I still cant figure out, that is what brought me here.

Things are still happening that are hard to explain, the difficult thing is getting people off their phones and outside so they can see the hard to quantify things. I guess because everyone is looking for the truth online rather than in the real world.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Yep they are the blue berets.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Yep they are the blue berets.

You must remember this then:

Clifford Stone on crash retrieval

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

Sayin that on another similar site, gets you banned.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

It's definitely diluted since the internet, the truth is out there its just been vagitized

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

I haven't heard anyone say there wasn't manipulation or bias. That's just absurd.

But the information is out there, you just have to dig for it.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Reading reinforced imagination, as people read less books and watch more video content imagination begins to pale. People mistakenly believe there is nothing new to discover, nothing left to learn. We keep losing the magical in the world.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think a lot of the erosion of good content on the internet has the result of those who refuse to believe anything that science does not support. With the loss of faith and the dedication of only believing in things we as humans understand it has eroded the interest in the unknown in fear of being mob shamed by intellectuals who don't care to be challenged by topics, they cannot explain away.

I found ats when I searched for info on the sheep island road light better known as the light road of Moncks Corner SC or Summerville Sc.

not to derail a thread but that legend is true and I have seen the what is described as the light there numerous times.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Reading reinforced imagination, as people read less books and watch more video content imagination begins to pale. People mistakenly believe there is nothing new to discover, nothing left to learn. We keep losing the magical in the world.

This sums it up for me pretty well. Thank you.

<<   2  3 >>

join