It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Efficiency Washer - what a POS!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
So my washing machine that was built in 1962 finally had a problem that couldn't be fixed easily in place (I could still fix it but had to remove it to do so - so I got a new one). The new one weighs about 1/2 the old one, has a larger wash load and the motor is probably about 1/4 the physical size and weight though it seems to be less powerful over-all - but it does spin faster.

I've done about 8 loads and at least half of them have been disastorous or very troublesome. The first 2 loads I did a large load, no where near full, about 2/3 the size of the basket. Used the settings for extra large load, etc. It only filled about 20% with water (it's a vertical basket, not horizontal) and I ended up with shredded rags from the towels I've been using for 5+ years with no problems. They were twisted so tight into knots it was unbelieveable. The soap hardly ever washes out even with a long rinse cycle - normal rinse is 80-90 seconds of a light spray! WTF!

The load of towels (first load) in the dryer gave me 7 lint baskets full of lint b/c it tore the towels up so much. In this 8 loads I have an entire waste basket full of lint which would have taken 1-2 years of normal laundry to fill this, maybe 3-4 actually.

There is no real auger, it's like they cut it off at the base. It rises about 2" off the bottom instead of all the way up and out of the water. It does a # job of agitating the clothing. It can't distribute the clothing to spin in a balanced way. Over 1/2 of the washes had to go through a second spin cycle after removing all the clothing and placing them back in, in a balanced manner, the machine stopped it automatically b/c it was all off balance making noise. I did this maybe 4-5x in 15+ years with the old washer and already that many times in 1 month with a new "high tech" washer.

I've used more water, almost 2x with the new washer, because it will fill it up and then drain for no reason, loosing all soap, then alert for error, then starts again with new wash, new fill, without soap (though it does't tell me I have to catch it). What a POS, and it was about $900 new vs the $100 for he used one I bought 15 years ago.

There are so many other problems with it I can't list them all. It seems there are a lot of people who have problems with the HE washers. I'm about ready to call my credit card company and make a formal complaint with their purchase garuntee. I'm glad I didn't have them take the old washer.

I've had more destroyed clothing in the last month than in 15 years with the old washer, and it isn't b/c I didn't follow instructions. It will also wear them out faster b/c the amount of lint that is being made is vastly greater than the old washer. IDK how they are designing these things these days but there is a major problem and IDK if people realize what is normal and how laundry should work. you shouldn't have an entire sock (or 2-3) worth of lint in each load of laundry you do. This machine doesn't even allow to soak the stuff w/o pumping it dry after a 10 minute opening of lid (to stop cycle to soak - and no programmed method for this) b/c it automatically resets after being open for 10 minutes!

What a headache!
edit on 12 13 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

If you can still take it back I would. Sounds like a piece of junk.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

#Firstworldproblems

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Thanks for the review, sorry about your headaches.
My current washer I bought in 04'. It still has a full agitator and even has a soak cycle.

The wife and I were looking at new washers about a month ago and I saw what you are talking about with the top loads, NO agitator, just a little 'bump' in the bottom of the wash tub. I was trying to picture how that would work and after reading your post I see they don't.
I noticed some of the cheapest models still have an 'old fashioned' agitator. I wonder if they still wash the old way?

Guess I will maintain my old washer as long as possible.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

IDK if people realize what is normal and how laundry should work.

According to TPTB if you didn't take out a 2nd mortgage you're doing it wrong...

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Just buy an horizontal washer like everybody else. You wont regret it.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Thanks for the review, sorry about your headaches.
My current washer I bought in 04'. It still has a full agitator and even has a soak cycle.

The wife and I were looking at new washers about a month ago and I saw what you are talking about with the top loads, NO agitator, just a little 'bump' in the bottom of the wash tub. I was trying to picture how that would work and after reading your post I see they don't.
I noticed some of the cheapest models still have an 'old fashioned' agitator. I wonder if they still wash the old way?

Guess I will maintain my old washer as long as possible.

I would stay away from these new ones w/o a normal agitator. I think this is how they get away with a small motor, there is no need for a lot of power when the agitator doesn't have any resistance. I think the motor is also a very high RPM "digital motor" which are efficient but they have limited applications and aren't nearly as versitile or robust as the older washing machine motors. I remember so many projects people made with old washing machine motors, lathe's, drill presses, ball mills, all kinds of stuff b/c they were built strong and they made A LOT of them, the motors were used in other applications so I'm guessing the price wasn't very high for them when they were used.

My wash tub got some rust holes (not the agitator tub, the outer water tub). I'm planning on removing the rust (wire wheel) and applying either epoxy and or fiberglass. I'd like to see how long I can keep it running - a little project to see how long it will last.

Also, the new washer will take 60-110 minutes for an entire large load, even up to 150 minutes with an XL load, extra wash, Deep & extra rinse and full (27 min) spin cycle. My old washer would take 55 mins MAX for the longest cycle and it did a better job washing by FAR.

Now the only thing I have to say about the new ones that are good is the spin cycle does get more water out, IDK how much, but it is lighter and dryer. It is a difference of 4-6 min spin vs 18-27 min spin. This makes drying quicker and less expensive, but before drying took about 50 mins w/ 10 min cool down. It still does about 42-45 mins w/ 10 min cool down. Both wash and dry took about the same time, now doing the same takes about 3x longer with the new washer, so I can't do all my laundry in one day anymore! WTF seriously! B4 the dryer was what held things up and now it is the washer by about 2x the time to do a load...

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JameSimon

I disagree. Front loaders smell disgusting like sour water 100% of the time and those with them just do not notice after their noses become used to it.
edit on 13-12-2018 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

If you can still take it back I would. Sounds like a piece of junk.

After looking at reviews online, it seems that people who have moved from older models to these really see the problems with them but people who never used an old model don't understand how bad the new ones are - I think that is part of their marketing strategy.

As far as 1st world problems, well this is going to be a worldwide problem if TPTB get their way. They will keep making these inferior products that take up more time and energy to use (let alone manufacture) all in the name of "green revolution" and energy efficiency. There is a very insidious side to all of this and they are relying on the ignorance of the public and especially those coming out of poverty who never had the good "old models" to use - they won't know how bad the new ones really are. They won't understand that a washer should last a minimum of 15 years with hard use and 30-40 with limited/little use. Replacing a washer after 10 years of limited use might become normal b/c of the way they are made...

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

I disagree. Front loaders smell disgusting like sour water 100% of the time and those with them are in denial about it after their noses become used to it.

I SOOO agree with this. Even the HE vertical are similar, I can't drain the last 1 gallon of water from mine and it just sits there, it had water in it when I got it - I was told it was normal b/c they test them at the factory b/f they are sent out. I bought from Lowes BTW.

My old one never had any smell unless I left stuff in it, never had water left behind. Horizontal ones are even worse though and people who use them don't seen to notice it at all, though it does transfer to the next load as well. I noticed this with a neighbors machine that was super expensive.

I wonder how much of a health hazard this is. I'd leave some bleach or H2O2 in the machine after a load to keep the mildew from growing.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

So out of curiosity.

Are you using HE detergent?

And I've never had this sort of issue with my HE washer.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

No, all you need to do to prevent this is to leave the door ajar in between loads. No smell.

Problem solved.

ETA - Otherwise, yes, they will get funky smelling.

ETA II - I take it you didn't read the manual either. Most tell you to do this.
edit on 12/13/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Not sure what make/model everyone is using but, we've had a Kenmore HE front loader for the last ten years with none of the problems you talk about. Only problem we've had is the circuit board needing replaced on the dryer a couple years ago. I like how fast and efficient they are, especially the dryer. It dries a full load in half the time of our old traditional dryer.

I wanted to add that our washer/dryer is heavily used as we are a family of five. Probably do a load a day 2-3 days during the work week and 5-6 loads on the weekend.
edit on 13-12-2018 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Sounds like your washer is jacked up big time!! Take it back, or get a warranty call on it.

Ours works great!

Oh, and +1 to the "HE" labeled detergent. Regular detergent does not work.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
What brand / model is it??

So the rest of us will know not to buy one!

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
ETA II - I take it you didn't read the manual either. Most tell you to do this.

99% of all problems stem from this.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

I like how fast and efficient they are, especially the dryer. It dries a full load in half the time of our old traditional dryer.

Yeah, love our new Samsung stackable units, they absolutely do laundry quicker and better than the older models we replace them with.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I disagree. Front loaders smell disgusting like sour water 100% of the time and those with them just do not notice after their noses become used to it.

I'm a mom and i've seen an obscene amount of laundry in my time.
I can guarantee you that most front loaders do not clean as well as the old fashioned agitators.

#1 the very basics of cleaning is that you need WATER! Front loaders just don't have enough water.

My friends husband is a firefighter, they had to switch back to an old fashioned agitator because front loaders just could not get the soot out of clothes even with multiple washes.

Most people really aren't that dirty so the difference between a front loader and old fashioned is not much of a difference, but if you do dirty work, like gardening, or the example I gave above you'll notice a difference.

The absolute best washer I ever used was a speed queen commercial washer. It took every speck of sand out of beach towels and clothing. A very basic washer that actually washes.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Get rid of it. Fix the old one, or buy another old one like it.

The kind that uses 40+ gallons of water for a large load- they're the only ones that work. If you live in a place where you can't get enough water to do laundry, move.
The washing machine shouldn't have a computer in it.
You're fighting physics- dirty clothes need soap and water to become clean. These "efficient" washers that don't use much water can sometimes take hours to run a load, and half the time they error out and you have to start over.
Garbage.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Not if you do it right and leave the door open a crack to ventilate.
And damned sure don't if you maintain them competently. Are you really so lazy that you don't bother to wipe the seal down once a month and remove debris from the seal well, run a basic baking soda or vinegar quick wash now and then to get rid of any soap residue, or clear out the junk from the trap seasonally? WTF?

In the 10+ years I've had my Maytag front loader, I've never had any operational problems with it. Or mechanical, beyond basics like tightening nuts & bolts and such.
I made sure to read the manual front to back before I plugged it in, and learned to service my own machine. I've never had to call anyone to do any fixes because I've done it myself. Now granted, the worst of the fixes was cleaning out the old wheel bearing grease & repacking it with new grease last week (it wasn't terrible, it was easy) Still, everyone should know how to fix their stuff.

Do people not bother to read the manuals anymore? This stuff is the most basic of basic advice for any laundry machine, HE or otherwise. Know how to use your stuff and it's a breeze. Take care of your stuff and your stuff will take care of you. Easy philosophy, but it seems totally lost on most people. The vast majority of issues with machines are operator error or stupidity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join