It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Egyptian President Orders Election Reforms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Egyptian President, Hosni Mubarak, has announced he's to ask Parliament to amend his countries current election laws. He wants to make it possible for multiple nominees to be voted for during Presidential elections. Currently a single candidate as chosen by Parliament is voted on by the people, with a Yes or No vote being their only decision.

story.news.yahoo.com
Mubarak — who has never faced an opponent since becoming president after the 1981 assassination of Anwar Sadat — said his initiative came "out of my full conviction of the need to consolidate efforts for more freedom and democracy."

The audience before him at Menoufia University broke into applause and calls of support, some shouting, "Long live Mubarak, mentor of freedom and democracy!" Others spontaneously recited verses of poetry praising the government.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think American pressure has brought this to bear as mentioned in the rest of the report. Condie Rices cancellation of a Mid-East tour based on Egypt's arrest of a real contender for the Presidency was not reported as far as I know, but it did the trick. As much as it loathes me to admit it, sledgehammer diplomacy really gets results. But only when backed up with the use of force.

Also the the largest anti-Mubarak marches ever might have brought this about (as mentioned in my previous post).

Now if only the Bush Administrations policy aims were for worthy and just causes, rather than lining their own pockets, the Americans might have something to be proud of with their Government.

[edit on 26/2/05 by subz]

[edit on 26/2/05 by subz]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It's all for show. People are so gullible. Do they honestly believe that he would allow the people to have other candidates to choose from? Sure, he'll let them vote, but he'll always get the majority of votes until he's six feet underground. He's been in power for more than two decades... he won't let it go so easily.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This election might be "for show" but the barrier has collapsed. The moment a de facto dictatorship opens the option for a free election (whether the first election is a free election or not) then it gives the opposition something upon which to hang it's hat and strive for. President Bush might not be, as some say, the brightest bulb in the package but his global democracy inititative has already produced amazing results. Afghanistan has had a successful election. Iraq has held an initial election, Palestinians have held a free election and now Egypt. Can the monarchy in Saudi Arabia or the religious dictatorship in Iran be far behind. Once people see the opportunity for a voice, for a chance at freedom, for a democracy there is no turning back. The Arab people have, it seems, ALWAYS, be controlled, ruled but not through any will of the people. With the spread of democracy, people at all leveles in society have an actual choice of how they wish to governed. They have a voice.

Sure, this election might not be the truly free election that the people might wish for or expect but it is a real start. Now if only places like Cuba or China could see the light....... It would be a democratic world not a one world government but a planet with global expectations, limitations and established constitutional guarentees for human rights. What could possibly be wrong with that. Why is the left so scared of freedom. Why is the left so pessimistic about even trying to raise the standards of all humanity on this planet?

new topics

join