It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever had to sign in to use a watch?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
That headline was not a joke-My aunty got me a fitness watch and I had to sign up to something called fitbit, sign into google, confirm this, then enter this, then network connection errors, then start again.

I won't hold anything against my aunt for her early christmas present, her heart was in the right place but I had to tell her that it was a useful as Homer Simspons' everything's Okay alarm, and in case you never saw it...well just watch.

Lucky my aunt kept the receipt and I sympathize with the elders of ATS. i'm only 34 with IT experience but still I'm still coming to terms with this. Will I need to use a RFID tag to use the bathroom? will I have to login to use my toaster? I'm sick of it.

Sure the cords get irritating, but they serve their purpose, next thing you know you'll need a password to access them.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I know many people who wear one of those.

What is the point of it? 10,000 steps a day to heart health?

That's positive. Can't turn my nose up at that.

I just can't get past the silliness of most fitness gadgets.

I hate the never-ending accounts and passwords, too.

Eventually, citizens will probably get an internet ID assigned the same way they get a SS number.

No anonymity. And get back to those 10,000 steps, slave.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Have you seen the refrigerators they have now?
Just because you can do something, does that really mean you should?

It was a big issue between my ex-wife and me. She had to have everything connected to wi-fi. She wanted a Smart TV, because it could connect to the internet. Then, she wanted an Xbox. Got an Xbox, and didn't even play videogames. She used it to watch Netflix, even though the Smart TV had the Netflix app on it. She wanted all of this technology stuff to the point of it being very, very redundant. Those refrigerators? Yeah, she wanted one of those. The fridge could keep track of what was in it, and you could order groceries using the touchscreen on it. She wanted to be able to look up recipes on the fridge door, even though she never cooked. When I asked her why she couldn't just use her phone or computer to look up recipes or actually go to the store to purchase food you would have thought she thought I was crazy.

There are already smart homes where everything is tied together wirelessly. You can control everything from the lights, the heat, the dishwasher, laundry machines, and even the blinds with a simple motion on a mobile device. And I guarantee ya everything is going to have some kind of login. Or RFID chip lmao.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

There is an ancient tradition now long gone that my peoples of the old age used to use.

It was called "buks" or "bewks". I'm not sure of the spelling. Autocorrect no longer recognizes the term.

Inside these things were called "paiges" where words were actually penned down using ink or tree sap.

Recipes used to be passed down that way and people used to "reed" these "bewks" to make food by the fire.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Not really a watch as much as it is a fitness tracker. everything has a clock in it thee days, even my garage door openers. I've got a 'misfit' (now $9.95) that basically tracks steps and calories and reports to an app on my phone. It tells me how much of a couch potato I really am, which is usually a lot. But I really don't think the CDC is going to knock on my door to tell me I'm not walking far enough each day.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

One word!!

DIVORCE!!!

The minute my wife wants to hook the refrigerator up to big brother...we've got SERIOUS problems!!

THOU SHALT NOT TOUCH MY REFRIGERATOR!!!!!!!!!!

ETA - I break-a you legs for less!!! You wann-a me break-a you legs??? I break-a you legs!! You touch-a my frig, I break-a you legs!!! Don' touch-a my frig!! At's all-a I tell-a you!! I break-a you legs!!

edit on 12/12/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It's all about metrics...

When do you open your refrigerator door (noted)

What do you take out (noted)

How often do you, FAT-BUOY, open your frig? (duly noted)

What can we send you, FAT-BUOY, coupons for??? (noted)

How much did you put in your frig??? (noted)

How much power did it use (oh, boy, duly noted!)

Somebody opened the frig at 3am...who was that??? (noted)

Gee, lots of people open this frig at 3am...must be criminals up to no good (noted)

Boy, they drink lots of water, but be drunks and hungover (duly noted)

**Knock Knock**

"Excuse me ma'am, but would you mind if we had a word with your refrigerator, as in downloaded some data from it??"

ETA - You should see some of the telemetry hooked to clothes washers!! Yeah, the gimmick is you can start the wash from your cell phone. Okay, but what's all the other data being sent??? It's a constant stream of data. Water samples, what's in your dirty water, likely DNA, blood, chemicals, metals, you name it. And, you just thought it was cool turning on your washing machine!! LOL!!
edit on 12/12/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Every single inch they can take to get inside your world, inside your life, to collect every single bit of data about you, your actions, your habits, your trends...they WILL. Every single teeny tiny minuscule microscopic bit of data...if they can "harvest" it...they WILL!!

When you brush your teeth, when you turn your lights out, when you watch TV and when you don't, when you come home, how many people come home, what credit cards you use, where you use them, how much you spend, who you owe, what you said on the telephone, who you called, when you left for work, when you argued with your SO, how many kids you have, what they like, what health issues your family has, any genetic issues your family has, what your blood pressure is, how many times you work out, what your heart rate was, how many drugs you take, your relationships with your neighbors, what your sister's gynecologist said about her sexual issues, what your last anal probe results were...EVERY-THING!!

If you think differently...think AGAIN!!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Man, wish I was a psychiatrist for some of the posters here. I'd be rich.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Are you a Psychiatrist???

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Big fan of the Fitbit ecosystem.

Been an avid user for 3 -4 years now with my current device of choice being the Versa watch.

With this watch I can do entry level sleep tracking, calorie tracking, HR monitoring, step monitoring, exercise tracking, and a few other things.
Im also having fun designing custom watch faces for the Versa.

I mean go figure..You get a Fitbit device and you are expected to register with Fitbit..So bizarre right?

edit on 12-12-2018 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Archivalist

Are you a Psychiatrist???

A Psychiatrist is just someone who can make fires with their minds.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Oh yeah. We're divorced now. Details aren't important, but we just couldn't meet in the middle. I would say things like there are websites with all the recipes you would ever need. What's wrong with getting up and turning the light switch off? Why do we need a TV that can access the internet when we have computers? We were only five years apart in age, but it felt like I was taking care of a child.

It was weird. She came from a humble background. Grew up poor, but her family made ends meet. She had a good head on her shoulder, but she changed man. She started caring more about keeping up with the Kardashians, and always wanting more. It didn't matter that I had enabled her to get a new car, a really nice house, and everything she ever needed.

Now she complains about being broke all the time even though she makes more than most people do. It's her loss, and hopefully she'll grow as a person and learn what it takes to be a responsible adult.

But, back to the topic. I really do think there are good applications for technology, and terrible applications for technology. It can make our lives easier, but if it leads to a way of life that causes laziness or creates a dependency where people don't even know how to cook without looking at a recipe or how to do laundry without an app telling you what to do have you really gained anything? Or have you lost the basics? There are fundamentals that are so pure and basic we don't need technology taking care of it for us.

But hey I'm a guy who washed his clothes in the kitchen sink most of his life.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
A friend of mine bought one of those fancy fitbits and a smart phone. It keeps him occupied, he is trying to prove he is technological. He wants one of those new fangled 500 buck glucose meters that sends info to your smart phone. He is having a hard time with money because he is spending so much on that kind of stuff.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I have one of the inexpensive knockoff fitbits. Works just fine for me. It's nice to see just how many steps I took at work. Really shows how much we get the run around in that job. It's not unusual for me to see 20k steps in an 8 hour shift.

I didn't have to sign up for anything to use mine though. I just link the watch to my phone and sync the data once per day so I can see my progress on the app.
edit on 12/13/2018 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Have you heard about the "secret" base on Antarctica that was "outed" by fitbit transmissions?

Betcha a dollar those folks were "unmasked" by their fitbit devices as well.

Don't Wear or Beware!

ganjoa

top topics

join