It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS (was not hacked)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
When you say 1:53... do you mean 1 hour 53 minutes? Also... was ATS down because someone hacked into it? Or was it just a problem with the server?

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
i trust williams confidence in our defences. i doubt anything will happen. but then again, it's only when i expect somethin bad to happen that nothin happens. ahh i'm goin crazy!!! as of now the site is in workin order, the chat and u2u services are all fine and well.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
Was it really a hack attack or just a problem with the server?

Pay attention so I do not have to repeat this again.

The attack was on purpose to avoid being a target.

Thus, we are in stealth mode for the duration of the attack.

It has been my opinion since this "contest" was announced that it's a simple ruse that reasonably serious hackers are use to get script kiddies to do the grunt work of building a list of exploitable sites/servers. This list would later be used for a more focused attack using more talented techniques. I've confirmed this theory with a few "in the know" and there seems to be a general agreement that this is a likely motive behind the contest.

Stay tuned.

[Edited on 6-7-2003 by William]

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
William,

You seem to have an awful lot of knowledge concerning how the hackers operate...

You wouldnt be holding out on us would you?

link   

Or was it just a problem with the server?

I brought it down. It was a good time for some routine maintenance, backups, and a check of counter measures.

link   
Sorry... didn't see that post of yours earlier. but I agree... I don't think there's anything to worry about. As Long as ATS and ESPN.com stay hacker free... I'm happy.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:20 PM
link   
that makes perfect sense. no wonder the prize is so crappy, any of them could easily get that on their own. now i'm much more worried about a massive attack by a few rather smart people, than this largely organised attempt by a few hundred crackheads with no lives. and croatia? that's a far out of the way place.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:49 PM
link   
*watches and waits*

wonder who's gonna get hit and who they are gonna succeed in hitting

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   
So wait,
The admins brought ATS down on purpose so as to avoid being hacked for real?

I ask this at the risk of being labelled stupid by camo dude.

If this is so, keep in mind that a guy like me, who lacks serious computer skills, was able to get to this point and read the admin's comments about how this is a ruse... a possum trick... so, couldn't a real hacker do the same?

Also, the phrase 'journalistic integrity' comes to mind.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I was thinking the same exact things about how people can just walk right in and see how we were going to avoid the hackers.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
there is probably alot more going on to protect ATS then that, the ruse is probably a ruse lol, have faith

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The reason you got to the forum, is that you are a member, and have a member cookie.

Non-members without cookies are redirected to this page:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Ya your right... the ruse probably is a ruse... but then again maybe they want the hackers to think that the ruse is a ruse, while it's really just a regular ruse... I just confused myself there.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
When I type in www.abovetopsecret.com I get the hacked page, terminator thing

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I apologize,
I didn't mean to be rude to the admins above. They work hard and do a good job. I'm just mad at certain lements of ATS culture tonight, that's all.

William,
I think that you do a great job keeping this site afloat,
Jim

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
When I type in www.abovetopsecret.com I get the hacked page, terminator thing

Yup... but everything else is fine. Use the main site menu on the forum home... everything works.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   
When I go to abovetopsecret.com, I get the regular page, I wonder why you get the hacked page.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:17 AM
link   
If the main site has been hacked... how come I can still access it? Is it because of what you said about us being members?

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:17 AM
link   

When I go to abovetopsecret.com, I get the regular page, I wonder why you get the hacked page.

You're getting the page in your browser's cache.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Oh... I see... So how long do you plan on keeping the main site down? until after the hackings are supposed to be over... or a little bit longer just in case?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join