It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Lunch quality being dialed back by trump administratoin

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: amazing

Why? We got good food and junk food forever and weren't ever snowflakes or babied. And like another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, most of the kids were still skinny. We were also active back then. Today we have so much technology that most kids lay around all day and play video games. If it wasn't freezing or storming outside when I got home from school and finished my homework, I'd be riding my bike with my best friend - who lived next door - until my mom called me in for supper.

It was definitely higher quality food back then and we never complained. The pizza was like a meat lasagna, it sucked but we ate it. Today they get pizza hut shipped in. We had milk or water. Today they have soda machines, milk shake machines. We had peas, mashed potatoes, corn, salad...something fairly healthy as a side. Today they have all kinds of choices. We generally got two options. But we never complained and our parents never complained because the food was healthy, weather it tasted bad or not. That's the way it should be.

We can't have all these snowflake parents and kids whining and complaining about everything. If you want school lunch, then you have to eat this, otherwise, pack it yourself.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator
Some of the stuff I'm reading in this thread is insane. The government should have no business feeding kids, it's the parent's responsibility? When I worked in schools I had students that were literally homeless. Living in cars. By all accounts, their parents were very good, attentive parents, they just couldn't put together enough jobs to afford it, and didn't get enough money on welfare to feed their family 3 meals a day.

The phrase "enough jobs" shouldn't even be a phrase. One job should pay a living wage, let alone having to work 5.

By your logic, screw 'em, let them starve or leave their loving family to get "better" parents? Those parents went to dozens of job interviews every single week, I drove them many times. Just never got callbacks. It's not ALWAYS the parent's fault. They were doing the best they possibly could, and were able to give their families breakfast and dinner. Lunch was provided by the school. Yet some of you want that to go away, because it's on the family to make sure everything about the kid is taken care of? By that logic, better homeschool the kids too, education is funded by the government.

Some of you never think outside of your own little bubbles. It's heartless.

Sorry... Don't agree. The majority of these people blow the interviews on purpose to stay on the government (taxpayer) dollar. In this economy it is not hard to earn money if you want to. The problem is they don't want to, they would rather live in squalor, shooting up, and get government checks.

If they can't pull themselves up by the bootstraps, and take care of THEIR kids, THEIR bills, THEIR responsibilities, in a reasonable amount of time, then the kids should be moved somewhere more stable, with people that care. By not, we are basically allowing the children to live in an abuse situation. If the parent/s don't care enough to help THEIR kids eat, it is nothing short of abuse.

Everyone has had a hard time or two, but we have generations living off the system. The cycle needs to stop.
edit on 12-12-2018 by MrRCflying because: spelling

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have a question,

How many people who commented on this thread actually have children, or a child in a public school?

edit on 12-12-2018 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
I have a question,

How many people who commented on this thread actually have children, or a child in a public school?

I only found out this year that I have a 17 year old son.
He grew up on the streets and matured into one hell of a specimen.
Intelligent in ways that can not be measured.
I love that young man.
He is off on his own adventure.
We spent quality time and then parted ways on the best of terms.
Our paths will cross again.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Sonny Perdue ?
The ex-Governor of Georgia who did not think of letting the Federal government know that Georgia needed fuel after the hurricane ? For weeks ? (the Feds finally called him and asked)
Because he was touring (vacationing on the people's money) in Italy and looking at their road infrastructure ?
That Sonny Perdue ?
Yeah , I trust him .
(I did not know he was Secretary of anything until this thread.)
Unbelievable

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
a reply to: blueman12

Your first big mistake is relying on the government to feed your kids. As a parent, that's YOUR responsibility.

Nope. The law states when a minor child is in school, the school becomes "in loco parentis', or in place of the parent, so the child's well being is placed in the school's hands, when school is in session. As such, they take care of the child's nutritional needs during the school day.

Ronald Regan once declared "ketchup" as a vegetable in schools. He didn't get away with it for too long. Taking nutrition away from kids in school is not the best way to make cut backs. Apparently you disagree.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

The law states when a minor child is in school, the school becomes "in loco parentis', or in place of the parent, so the child's well being is placed in the school's hands, when school is in session. As such, they take care of the child's nutritional needs during the school day.

The law can say the moon is made of green cheese for all that. I put two kids through school, and I had a few teachers and principals try that line on me.

It didn't work. They knew it didn't work. One of them ran to their office and locked the door. The others backed down and started apologizing. A couple were crying for me to please leave. I think one messed their pants. Not sure about that, but it smelled like it.

You are talking about people's children. I don't give two craps what the law thinks about how I raised my children. That's out of their jurisdiction. Yeah, sure, they can come in guns blazing and force themselves into my life... but so far no one has had the guts to do so.

My kids. You think folks are arrogant about their guns? Touch their kids.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Michelle Obama wasn't elected and was not paid. Her school lunch mandates were not law. I don't understand why the schools complied at all. Her rules could not be enforced. The position of "First Lady" doesn't come with that kind of power.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Fake news. They are leaving things how they are for the most part, and listening to the schools and states and finding ways to fix problems. I am a healthy eater, but find this to be a lot of government overreach.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

False. They only provide an alternative, if a parent sends their kid with food then the school isn't doing anything. Parents are parents, schools are not parents.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

One of the reasons I left MA. The school system went to court saying they are equal to parents in the raising of children and parents had no say over teaching morals, the school does.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton

Your first big mistake is relying on the government to feed your kids. As a parent, that's YOUR responsibility.

Nope. The law states when a minor child is in school, the school becomes "in loco parentis', or in place of the parent, so the child's well being is placed in the school's hands, when school is in session. As such, they take care of the child's nutritional needs during the school day.

Ronald Regan once declared "ketchup" as a vegetable in schools. He didn't get away with it for too long. Taking nutrition away from kids in school is not the best way to make cut backs. Apparently you disagree.

en.wikipedia.org...

Which tells you everything you need to know about how the state values your child's intelligence. Have you read brave new world, the babies of the lowest caste were not only deprived of oxygen during gestation but then highly indoctrinated through infancy to take their place in the system.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
if the kids are whining they don't like the food and aren't eating it, they aren't truly hungry.
When you're *really* hungry, you'll eat anything - no matter how nasty it tastes

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join