It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis changes prayer Our Father the words of Jesus himself

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

The Catholic Church hierarchy today is an example how the things shouldn't be done.

My suggestion to the Pope: appoint lay cardinals and much younger. There isn't canonical barrier for that, there were lay cardinals in history, there were younger cardinals too.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Just to get back to the topic and to add a Portuguese point of view, the Portuguese version can be translated as "don't let us fall into temptation", which really sounds as consistent with the rest.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

the problem is, if we start changing the words of Jesus, recorded at the end of 2nd century, according to what we presume as better script, then we start changing Everything. Because we can say, what guarantees that those who wrote it down in 2nd or 3rd century, understood correctly what Jesus taught 150-200 years before them? Was it a "good translation in Greek" if Jesus talked in Aramaic?

Many newer translations makes the things worse. Look what happens with verses like New Live Version etc. Biblegateway has them all. it is absurd, in the name of new language understanding! I use only KJV or NKJV that is updated with contemporary wording but preserves the essence.

Therefore, as I wrote in the OP, if the pope or others have irrefutable sources that the words said by Jesus are different, then let us all know them. And not to throw pieces of secret knowledge. Benedict said for example, the angles didn't sing, and didn't have wings. For the wings I agree. And how does he know they didn't sing? Apparently he knows. Isn't it better then to call the angels -extraterrestrials on God's service? We cannot have anymore half truths and half lies. Not in 21st century of information, when books banned in the past, with people who wrote them killed, are now available upon the click. It is against the common sense, it dismisses the intelligence of the faithful as something so irrelevant that the red and purple hats don't even have to give any explanation to the mortals. Bad policy, and bad religious practice! it won't survive for long!
edit on 18-12-2018 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2012newstart
the problem is, if we start changing the words of Jesus, recorded at the end of 2nd century, according to what we presume as better script, then we start changing Everything.

It's not a question of starting, that has happened centuries ago. That's why many people opposed the translations from Latin

The Portuguese version I posted above is not new either, it's the one I have known all my life (55 years), and a few searches showed me that it has been in use for centuries.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: TzarChasm
a reply to: chr0naut

I'm not saying America is perfect, my point is that a theocratic dictatorship is not okay and we have been part of that conflict in recent history. That's why most of the modern world keeps government and religion apart. Because divine authority infringes on civil rights all across the globe.

Which rights specifically?

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

All of them have been violated at one point or another within the narrative of the biblical deity.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Threatening me with a God you don’t believe in, really
Think about that for a second

And no it’s not a possibility, to me that’s ridiculous, you don’t seem to have the ability to think
Sadly TC you have no concept of love

But on the upside, come judgement day I believe, you will suffer for your sins and then just be nothing, burnt away as chaff, become as nothing, a memory in Gods mind
Isn’t that what you want anyway, isn’t that Nirvana

You're really just proving to me that your sense of justice is vindictive and spiteful. Probably because of God being a hateful and violent dictator. You need to read Corinthians again and figure out how to be a truly loving and genuine follower of Jesus. I'm not even religious and I know that stuff.

Nothing personal but it’s hardly relevant what you think, who are you, an internet hero?

You are the one demanding you dictate at God, a God you don’t believe in

Yeah anyway, my sense of justice is vindictive and spiteful. I bet yours is loving and embracing, feeding isis and terrorists guns and money, giving them a helping hand. Bet you would have supported the oppressors in WW2 or maybe Stalin and Mao after that. I bet you just want to snuggle up with those poor dictators and hug it out

Corinthians, you sure don’t know your stuff, you haven’t a clue

You will get your nirvana

And you continue to make my case for me, illustrating my points and all.

Well it’s fortunate I have because I haven’t seen you make one relevant or intelligent statement yet

Just complaining because God doesn’t serve you

God should serve the people just as any honest leader would. Not own us like property.

God does serve and answers the requests of the faithful:

“Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’” - Jeremiah 33:3 NKJV.

“It shall come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear” - Isaiah 65:24.

“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” - Matthew 7:7.

“Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.” - Matthew 18:19.

“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” - Matthew 21:22 NIV.

“Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” - Mark 11:24 NIV.

“If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?” - Luke 11:13.

“And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.” - John 14:13-14.

“And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.” - John 16:23.

“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” - Hebrews 4:16.

“Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus. - Hebrews 10:19.

“Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.” - 1 John 5:14-15 NKJV.

“The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” - James 5:16 NLT.

“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land” - 2 Chronicles 7:14.

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” - John 15:7 NIV.

One might also suggest that the nation group of the citizens of the US can claim ownership of its individual citizens.

Circular logic. A good leader is always in plain sight operating with transparency and the blessing of their voters and taxpayers. Especially if they want to be honored as a deity with unlimited power.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I'm not saying America is perfect, my point is that a theocratic dictatorship is not okay and we have been part of that conflict in recent history. That's why most of the modern world keeps government and religion apart. Because divine authority infringes on civil rights all across the globe.

All of them have been violated at one point or another within the narrative of the biblical deity.

I am suggesting that none of those listed human rights have been violated by God at any time.

What you have implied about the Biblical God impinging upon human rights, does not stand up to rational analysis when examined by consideration of each right, and how it may have been allegedly infringed.

edit on 18/12/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

And no it’s not a possibility, to me that’s ridiculous, you don’t seem to have the ability to think

But on the upside, come judgement day I believe, you will suffer for your sins and then just be nothing, burnt away as chaff, become as nothing, a memory in Gods mind

You're really just proving to me that your sense of justice is vindictive and spiteful. Probably because of God being a hateful and violent dictator. You need to read Corinthians again and figure out how to be a truly loving and genuine follower of Jesus. I'm not even religious and I know that stuff.

Nothing personal but it’s hardly relevant what you think, who are you, an internet hero?

Yeah anyway, my sense of justice is vindictive and spiteful. I bet yours is loving and embracing, feeding isis and terrorists guns and money, giving them a helping hand. Bet you would have supported the oppressors in WW2 or maybe Stalin and Mao after that. I bet you just want to snuggle up with those poor dictators and hug it out

Well it’s fortunate I have because I haven’t seen you make one relevant or intelligent statement yet

God should serve the people just as any honest leader would. Not own us like property.

“Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’” - Jeremiah 33:3 NKJV.

“It shall come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear” - Isaiah 65:24.

“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” - Matthew 7:7.

“Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.” - Matthew 18:19.

“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” - Matthew 21:22 NIV.

“Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” - Mark 11:24 NIV.

“If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?” - Luke 11:13.

“And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.” - John 14:13-14.

“And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.” - John 16:23.

“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” - Hebrews 4:16.

“Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus. - Hebrews 10:19.

“Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.” - 1 John 5:14-15 NKJV.

“The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” - James 5:16 NLT.

“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land” - 2 Chronicles 7:14.

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” - John 15:7 NIV.

One might also suggest that the nation group of the citizens of the US can claim ownership of its individual citizens.

Circular logic. A good leader is always in plain sight operating with transparency and the blessing of their voters and taxpayers. Especially if they want to be honored as a deity with unlimited power.

I agree that a good leader serves those they lead and that the evidence of their good actions on behalf of those they serve, are apparent to those they serve.

A good leader also doesn't pander to the rebels.

God is good.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I agree that a good leader serves those they lead and that the evidence of their good actions on behalf of those they serve, are apparent to those they serve.

God is good.

So the Nazi regime was only evil to the heretic unbelievers.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

God is good.

So the Nazi regime was only evil to the heretic unbelievers.

Definitely not.

... neither would I describe Hitler as 'good' by any interpretation. He was a very naughty boy.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I am suggesting that none of those listed human rights have been violated by God at any time.

What you have implied about the Biblical God impinging upon human rights, does not stand up to rational analysis when examined by consideration of each right, and how it may have been allegedly infringed.

Genocide by global flood, slavery, inhuman forms of discipline and multiple acts of terrorism would beg to disagree with your suggestion. That universal declaration of human rights stuff isn't very dictator friendly.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
Just to get back to the topic and to add a Portuguese point of view, the Portuguese version can be translated as "don't let us fall into temptation", which really sounds as consistent with the rest.

"Don't abandon us to temptation" is more accurate because it alludes to the inevitability of being lured and tested. Forgiveness vs permission. We are expected to screw up no matter how hard we try, so we beg God for insurance against the tricks he designed to make us fail.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

There is no evidence to prove Jesus said these words. It is the dogma of the Christian Faith he did, but Jesus left no first hand accounts, written or witnessed. We have well removed second and third hand accounts.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Genocide by global flood,

One might suggest this was an inevitable consequence of the collapse of the cloud canopy of a 'hot' new Earth, the result of the entropic processes of a fallen world.

slavery,

There is nothing in the Bible about any process of enslavement and much legislation about release from slavery.

The Old Testament mandated that all slaves were to be freed on every Jubilee year (every 7 years) unless the slave made the choice to remain in servitude to the master through an official public ceremony.

inhuman forms of discipline and multiple acts of terrorism

Did you mean inhuman, or inhumane? I would imagine that God, not being human, would do inhuman things, but the fact that God has not removed the choice to oppose Him from us, at any stage, means that we must bear the consequences of our choices.

As for terrorism, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I doubt God would require anyone to go and bomb or behead anyone and He hasn't done any terrorist acts Himself

would beg to disagree with your suggestion. That universal declaration of human rights stuff isn't very dictator friendly.

That's true.

You also still haven't itemized the human rights that God has allegedly abused.

edit on 20/12/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Genocide by global flood,

One might suggest this was an inevitable consequence of the collapse of the cloud canopy of a 'hot' new Earth, the result of the entropic processes of a fallen world.

slavery,

There is nothing in the Bible about any process of enslavement and much legislation about release from slavery.

The Old Testament mandated that all slaves were to be freed on every Jubilee year (every 7 years) unless the slave made the choice to remain in servitude to the master through an official public ceremony.

inhuman forms of discipline and multiple acts of terrorism

Did you mean inhuman, or inhumane? I would imagine that God, not being human, would do inhuman things, but the fact that God has not removed the choice to oppose Him from us, at any stage, means that we must bear the consequences of our choices.

As for terrorism, I'm not sure what you are referring to. I doubt God would require anyone to go and bomb or behead anyone and He hasn't done any terrorist acts Himself

would beg to disagree with your suggestion. That universal declaration of human rights stuff isn't very dictator friendly.

That's true.

You also still haven't itemized the human rights that God has allegedly abused.

rationalwiki.org...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

People also suggest that the Earth is flat, the Moon is a hologram and George Bush Jr is at least part reptilian. Let's keep "suggestions" to a minimum because they aren't very useful here.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Let's keep "suggestions" to a minimum because they aren't very useful here.

nvm i'm just going to go to bed.
edit on 20-12-2018 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

Let's keep "suggestions" to a minimum because they aren't very useful here.

nvm i'm just going to go to bed.

As least try out the links and do some reading on the slavery and murder. It's very educational.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

As least try out the links and do some reading on the slavery and murder. It's very educational.

"Slavery" was often synonymous with what we now call an employee.

Indentured servitude is a necessity in the USA for the middle class and below. You do not have enough money to buy a house, so you have to get a loan and work to pay it off. Otherwise the bank takes your stuff. This is indentured servitude.

As Chr0naut said, all debts were removed after 7 years. Compare that to today's standards where it often takes 30 years to pay off a house mortgage. Many are in debt until they retire in their 60's, and some never get out of debt. Even if all your bank loans are paid off, you still have to pay taxes or the government seizes your assets. Therefore, We are indentured servants to the banks and government.

Your superficial scrutiny of the Bible demonstrates your inability to see the perspectives of ancient cultures, and your own culture.
edit on 22-12-2018 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join