It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will she, wont she survive vote of no confidence?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I really think she might squeeze through this.... interesting day ahead

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I really think she might squeeze through this.... interesting day ahead

So her prayers will be answered?

Makes me wonder if there really is something to religion?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
If the Vote of Confidence goes against May there will then be a ballot on the leadership of The Conservative Party.

In former days, the ballot would have been among M.P.'s only, which makes sense in constitutional terms (since the P.M. can't survive without their support). Now that both main parties have adopted the foolish practice of having a whole-party vote on leadership in the Commons, the process would take too long for a quick change at the top.

As far as I understand things the Queens consent is only sought after a General Election....that doesn't discount people seeking out her counsel.

What happens officially is that the Queen ("under advice") invites someone to form a government. If he can't get enough support, he reports back and suggests that she try somebody else. In normal modern times, the choice is made automatic by the result of the Election. When Gordon Brown was defeated, the party leaders evidently sorted it out between themselves before going to her with their "advice". May could do as Cameron did and wait for a new Tory leader to be chosen. But this would take time, and I'm not sure it would be constitutionally proper for a P.M. to cling on as long as that after a "no confidence" vote. In the circumstances, it would be entirely proper for the Queen to take her advice (and that of other party leaders?) on the most appropriate person to summon to Buckingham Palace.
If all this is likely to interfere with the Queen's travel arrangements for Christmas at Balmoral, she will not be amused.

edit on 12-12-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I would agree...she knows the numbers.
Why isn't she saying what the results of her cosy chats were with various leaders yesterday?
That part is suspicious to me.
rainbows
Janr

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The maybe runners and riders do not inspire me either. Can't stand Gove in particular- greasy little weasel and one of our worst ever Lord Chancellors.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: fusiondoe

Agreed with Amber Rudd. Not sure Rees-Mogg will get it (he's Catholic).
I am liking David Davis atm.....

Yes, I think you are right, she will resign.

Rees-Mogg is the only option we have if we want to actually right the ship (and stop it from sinking).

As for the vote - May will come through it, unfortunately. Her role was to con the British people into thinking we were actually leaving the EU. She's worked hand in hand with (or I should say at the the direction of) Brussels on the con job. Juncker is not about to let her resign now when he is so close to securing complete rule of Britain.

edit on 12/12/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
The maybe runners and riders do not inspire me either. Can't stand Gove in particular- greasy little weasel and one of our worst ever Lord Chancellors.

They ALL have their own interests at heart, I'm sure Boris was a remainer

before his last minute decission to become a leaver.

And wasn't it Gove who back stabbed him?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Jeremy Corbyn for PM, the Tories have ruined and continue to ruin Britain

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

This is a Conservative Party vote of No Confidence and NOT a Parliamentary Vote of No Confidence - two completely different things.

If May loses this Tory Vote of No Confidence tonight there will then be a Tory MP ballot on their leadership.
The winner of this ballot will become Prime Minister, exactly the same procedure as when John Major replaced Maggie Thatcher.

The DUP has already said they will continue to support The Tories....the only 'crisis' would occur if Parliament voted to accept the Brexit deal with the backstop, then the DUP would withdraw their support in which case there could be a Parliamentary Vote of No Confidence which obviously could produce another administration altogether.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
I do apologise. I missed that point. All the way through this thread, I've been arguing in the belief that this was a Commons vote. Oops. So cancel most of what I've said so far. Though i still think that balloting the M.P.'s would be a quicker and better way of finding a replacement.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
If she survives though then it would prime opportunity fir the opposition to press for a election

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Ian Duncan Smith ie. The quiet man would command respect on the world stage

A man who claimed he could live on benefit of £53.00 per week is a man completely out of touch with reality and not fit to lead the country.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Corbyn knows that the Premiership is very much a poisoned chalice at present and the last thing he wants is a Parliamentary Vote of No Confidence.

He'll claim its not in the country's best interests at present - he'll claim anything - as long as there is not a General Election until after Brexit has actually occurred or after someone else takes the fall for cancelling the result of the referendum and deciding to stay in the EU.

Only then will he make a move for power.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

A man who claimed he could live on benefit of £53.00 per week is a man completely out of touch with reality and not fit to lead the country.

Former Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith is urging Theresa May to reverse cuts to Universal Credit.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 12-12-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Apparently Tory MP Nick Boles has said that Conservative party members and MP's want May to deliver Brexit and then resign after the deal has been done and dusted and implemented.

In other words, no-one wants to assume the mantle just yet because they don't want to be associated with this bad deal so she must carry the can leaving a clean slate for her successor.

I think the vast majority of the pond life in Westminster, including senior Civil Servants, are complicit in this utter debacle and national embarrassment....if I was May I'd tell them to beat it and resign now....lets see who has the cajones and moral conviction to step up to the plate then!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Former Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith is urging Theresa May to reverse cuts to Universal Credit.

www.bbc.co.uk...

IBS introduced Universal Credit and was found guilty of denying disabled people the right to life by the UN inspector due to his disability benefit overhauls and resulted in the deaths of 35,000+ disabled people. He's a failed army dropout who's destroyed anything he's touched.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

www.bbc.co.uk...

So, in other words Duncan Smith cocked it up when he was The Minister that bought in Universal Credit.

Sounds like someone incompetent to me. Not PM material at all.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

At least he has actually done something and had some responsibility. Does JC sound competent and PM material to you?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Does JC sound competent and PM material to you?

Your comparing apples to oranges.

Corbyn has never been a Minister, so he has had no opportunity to cock anything up.

Duncan Smith however. Well that's a complete different ball game.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

OK, so do you think it a good idea to have a PM who has never been a Minister - and in JC's case, ever had a proper job?

As in no experience of so much as running a Whelk stall?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join