It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will she, wont she survive vote of no confidence?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel and Ray 1990

Forgive me , I'm trying to catch up - are those with no confidence in her remainers or brexiteers ?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

The conflict is an internal party one, basically the conservative party have enough votes to trigger an internal vote to oust her or cement her position for 1 year.

The reasons are primarily based on how she negotiated with the EU and the deal brought forth from said deal.

Some hope to remain, some hope to leave (we're leaving by law) pretty much all in Parliament, including other parties demand a renegotiation at the least. This deal is too vague in parts and downright insulting to the UK in others.

It isn't so black and white, there's different flavours of remainers and brexiters.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

No, you are correct, which raises the question as to why has Sir Ian Brady, the Chairmen of the 1922 Committee, asked to meet her tomorrow after PMQ's? That is completely pointless, win or lose.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian
All right, here is a theory.
If May loses and decides to go for resignation rather than General Election, she will be expected to help "advise" the Queen on the choice of her successor. His knowledge of backbench opinion will help her frame that advice. So if he says, for example "Most of them will go for XXXX", she would advise the Queen to send for XXXX and invite him to try to form a government- if necessary, a coalition government.

If she wins, it might be his duty to say "Look, I happen to know that you survived that vote only bacause Tory M..P.'s are not going to vote in the Opposition. You probably ought to give way to somebody else, all the same."

edit on 12-12-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Both by the looks of it....they just don't like the deal on the table, and probably feel very snubbed by her that she cancelled last night's vote on it....kicking the can down the road, and acting like some autocrat....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

'too vague' or 'downright insulting' don't explain much though - surely they should specify what's wrong with the deal via particulars and with page references - we can read after all .

descriptors devoid of what's being described do not cut the mustard

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

That was the original plan....but he called her last night to tell her.......
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

That is what they have been debating in Parliament over the last 2 weeks. They don't like the deal and were about to reject the deal if last night's vote had been allowed to go ahead.....she cancelled that.
If you want to sit and read 2 weeks worth of debates you can via the Hansard reports.....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
All right, here is a theory.
If May loses and decides to go for resignation rather than General Election, she will be expected to help "advise" the Queen on the choice of her successor. His knowledge of backbench opinion will help her frame that advice. So if he says, for example "Most of them will go for XXXX", she would advise the Queen to send for XXXX and invite him to try to form a government- if necessary, a coalition government.

First she wont resign, or she would have this morning.
Second, if , and it's a big IF she loses the vote tonight, then the tory party have to elect a new leader. THEN she goes to the Queen to recommend the 'winner'.....I'm pretty sure that's how it works unless our constitution has changed since I studied it

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel
If she lost a "no confidence" vote, resignation would be obligatory. That. or a fresh election.
I think a fresh election is unlikely;
a) because the issues at stake are cross-party issues, and would not be decided by a General Election.
b) the voters in the last General Election were already cross about having national votes too frequently.

edit on 12-12-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Second, if , and it's a big IF she loses the vote tonight, then the tory party have to elect a new leader. THEN she goes to the Queen to recommend the 'winner'.....I'm pretty sure that's how it works unless our constitution has changed since I studied it

It is not a necessary part of the British constitution that the Prime Minister should have been previously elected as leader of a party. They just need to have a majority in the Commons. The election of party leaders has become standard since 1963 as a way of taking the choice out of the Queen's hands.
But in 1940, Churchill was invited to form a coalition of the main parties, and did so without becoming leader of any of them. There would not have been time to hold elections first, whether General or party leadership. I don't think there's enough time for previous elections now. It would be perfectly legitimate for May to go to the Queen and say "I must resign, but I think XXXX would have the best chance of putting a working government together. If you ask X or Y, they will probably tell you the same thing".

The best way to learn about the British constitution is to study history. You will have learned about how it normally works, but that won't have covered all the available options.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yes, I understand that....perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Personally, i think they are all a bunch of meanies.......potentially making a frail old lady homeless, a couple of weeks before Christmas......

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Probably because of May's CV...past history, and she only just won the election and had to make a 50 million deal with the DUP to stay in power and get her policies through.

Sorry to nit-pick but it was actually an extra £1billion!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I'm sure there's a 104 page PDF out there somewhere on the web, I haven't been following the ins and outs of brexit because I knew it was going to fail. The writing was on the wall months ago.

The BBC has been following the key points also, such as the Irish border, fishing rights, all sorts.

My point is the deal is dead, it was never going to get accepted.

descriptors devoid of what's being described do not cut the mustard

I'm not an MP or brexit negotiator, there's reasons people have been resigning, this deal was unworkable from the get go.

Personally I'm just annoyed by the poor foresight of those working it.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Time is strained, we need to sort something out whilst keeping as much stability is possible.

A temporary coalition government might not be so bad.

Always appreciate your history lessons in threads like this btw

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

If the Vote of Confidence goes against May there will then be a ballot on the leadership of The Conservative Party.

Ordinarily things would be straight forward, as when Major succeeded Thatcher, Brown followed Blair and May herself came to the Premiership after Cameron ran away.
The leader of the largest party in The Commons is Prime Minister.

But on previous occasions the largest party has had an overall majority....a luxury May hasn't got.

Any new Conservative Party leader would again be relying on the DUP whose support may or may not be forthcoming considering the outcry over the backstop etc.

If they don't offer their support to a new leader of the Tories then we are indeed in unusual times - a minority government, a coalition or another General Election.

As far as I understand things the Queens consent is only sought after a General Election....that doesn't discount people seeking out her counsel.

One thing is looking certain....Brexit is looking increasingly unlikely....and what will be the response to that?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Personally, i think they are all a bunch of meanies.......potentially making a frail old lady homeless, a couple of weeks before Christmas......

I think she'll be fine.....I think she'll have a great future in pantomime after all this!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Oh no she won't!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Hmmmn ...... Not exactly inspired by any of them.

www.msn.com...

The resume's would make me pitch for Penny Mordaunt .....

An outsider, A new broom
A breath of fresh air?

Of course we the people do not have a vote in this!! And as I have said

before Ian Duncan Smith ie. The quiet man would command respect on

the world stage.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join