It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will she, wont she survive vote of no confidence?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I think that Corbyn would set an all time record low but agree that this is a really, really crap Govt.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
In 1945 After Churchill basically saved Briton he was voted out of power. It was a few years later after the government nationalized many of the businesses and the economy tanked he was voted back in power to correct the situation which he did.

Now fast forward to today.. I am not British and only a casual observer but I do have faith in the common sense of most of the British people. So... my question is WHY is not Nigel Farage being pushed to the front of the line. Is he not interested ? Does not have any backing ? Can not be drafted ? I have heard Nigel speak many times and respect him greatly for his keen intellect and common sense.

Well is was he who forced the hand of David Cameron to give the people

a referendum. So you may have something there.

He is hated among the EU elite....... So it would be fire works and very

interesting?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: eletheia

Duncan Smith was leader of The Conservative Party previously.

He was dumped after only 2 years. Why would they want to go back ?

People grow an mature with time and experience.

Someone who is capable of doing a job at say 40 plus years

Is not necessarily capable for that same position straight from

a university.

Experience is of importance to earn a place.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I completely agree.

Remember that great headline?

“In Deep Sh**”.

IDS.

If we get lumbered with another puppet remainer I’m moving to America.

If Corbyn gets anywhere near anything I’m moving to America. He doesn’t even understand Regulations which make his policies impossible to implement.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
This could be a most dangerous time for Britain. It looks like the Brits need their very on version of Trump. Or better yet a Putin. A strong national leader that will put the people first and won’t take any guff from the EU. So who’s up to the challenge?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: fusiondoe

Tbh bud I’m at a point where I no longer care as long as it’s a Brexiteer. Give us Boris, give us Gove, give us Leadsom (I think she has a chance actually - Assuming the Tories are brave enough to hand it to a Brexiteer which I doubt)

In Business it is said "You only ever have one chance to make a first impression"

Boris is a clown ..... and as such rules himself out.

One of the qualities required in a leader is dignity, that commands respect.

Compare Micheal Barnier alongside Boris Johnson.... no contest!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

That's the problem, most of the potential candidates for the job are remainers just like May.
Basically we are stuck between a rock and a hard place, the devil and the deep blue sea.

She needs to lose the vote otherwise Corbyn is likely to call a no confidence and possibly send the country into a general election.

It really is a FUBAR situation!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Memories of the last big "no confidence" vote of 1979, which Maggie Thatcher carried against her predecessor Jim Callaghan.

Callaghan had no majority and survived on the sufferance of the minor parties. He had passed over an opportunity to call an election the previous autumn, famously bursting into song at a conference to express the frustration he thought Maggie was feeling (the old music hall song "There was I, waiting at the church..."). But the whole country was exasperated by the chaos caused by a wave of strikes in the early months of 1979 ("The Winter of Discontent"), not helped by his brief absence in the West Indies and the newspaper headline on his return which cruelly summarised his attempted reassurances- "Crisis? What crisis?"

The Scottish Nationalists also had their reasons for frustration. Maggie waited until she thought she had won round the minor parties, and then put down a no confidence motion.
Accordingly to legend, there was a particularly Irish moment at this vote. There was one Ulster M.P. who had kept away from Westminster ever since being elected, as a form of protest. But he thought this occasion was so important, that he should make a special flight over to London and be present at the vote, "so that he could abstain in person".

Great excitement on the night. Only radio coverage available in those days, not television.
Acoording to convention, the tellers of the "Aye" and "No" votes approach the Speaker's table side by side, the teller for the majority walking on the right or left side (I forget which), so that the result is instantly recognisable. On this night, though, either the tellers or the radio commentator (more probably) got the convention the wrong way round and there was a moment of confusion about what had happened.

Callaghan got up and calmly announced that he would quickly get some necessary financial business through the Commons (it was that time of year), and would then call an immediate election. That Parilament was so close to the end of its five year maximum life-span that an election was the obvious answer. And of course that General Election was the one that brought Maggie to power.

P.S. I see Youtube has got the BBC broadcast of that night (on television, but audio only, borrowing the usual radio coverage). I think it will confirm my memories;

edit on 12-12-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   
i don't understand why some people rubbish the tories/govt. at every opportunity?

I don't get this either sorry , are those with no confidence in TM remainers or brexiteers ?
edit on 12-12-2018 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
On the other hand, the more direct parallel for this occasion is the no-confidence motion which the Labour party put down against Maggie in the middle of the Tory party rebellion which ultimately caused her resignation. In fact, come to think of it, it was just after she had resigned and was waiting for the new Tory leader to be chosen. There was some by-play about what job she would be doing next (someone suggested becoming the new head of the European Bank). That motion did the Labour Party no good at all. Having just got rid of Maggie on their own, the Tory M.P.s rallied round her for this vote, and in her speech Maggie was defiant and even "demob-happy". I suspect that May is thinking of that speech as her model for tonight.

P.S. Youtube has got selections from this one too, including the interjection about "She's going to be the Governor". I think that's Dennis Skinner, though, not Kinnock as I supposed. The trademark sports jacket.

"I'm enjoying this!"

edit on 12-12-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

What makes you think Corbyn would be a remainer?

He's been sceptical all his life his politics have never really changed (principled?) and he always voted against the EU whenever it came down to giving them more power or us joining their unions.

Trump doesn't understand much about the ins and outs of politics, he doesn't need too. He's a figurehead of an organization, captain of the ship as it were. It's not like Corbyn would be a one man crew.

Though I suspect he knows a lot more about policy than you think or at least let on about.

The people should decide who takes us forward, because the sitting government has been nothing but disastrous. Any nullification of "brexit" should be a public choice too. If any of that butt hurts you then bye is all I can say.

Though people are generally full of it when they say I'm moving because of politics.
edit on 12-12-2018 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Iain Duncan Smith slams May's Brexit plan

BREXIT BACKLASH: Freedom of movement WON'T be stopped - Mr Duncan Smith revealed Theresa May's deal cedes the right to claim ...

EU EXPECT UK to REJECT Brexit deal claims Iain Duncan Smith ..

Brexit latest: Theresa May's 'days are numbered' warns Iain Duncan ...
Mirror.co.uk-13 Nov 2018
Theresa May's Brexit deal could bring down her government, ex-minister Iain Duncan Smith has warned.

No deal is and ALWAYS has been BETTER than a bad Brexit deal, says IAIN DUNCAN SMITH ... Yet her latest Brexit deal is in itself a bad deal.

'May is the EU's PUPPET!' Duncan Smith claims Brexit deal WORST ...
Express.co.uk-15 Nov 2018
Writing in a column of the Daily Telegraph, the former Tory leader revealed that in December he begged the Prime Minister not to sign the ...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

In 1945 After Churchill basically saved Briton he was voted out of power. It was a few years later after the government nationalized many of the businesses and the economy tanked he was voted back in power to correct the situation which he did.

Churchill was a great wartime leader and this country will always owe him a debt of gratitude.

But he was a rubbish peacetime leader and the electorate knew that.

The economy didn't 'tank' after WWII, it was already in ruins due to the war and whilst the conquered and defeated nations received massive investment in their re-building Britain had to struggle on.....rationing was gradually phased out but lasted until 1954.

Some of the UK's greatest achievements were initiated immediately post-war and it's criminal seeing the way they have been deliberately ran down, sold-off, under funded and criminally mis-managed.

Now fast forward to today.. I am not British and only a casual observer but I do have faith in the common sense of most of the British people.

Once over I'd have agreed with this.....but I've become a bit too cynical over recent years.

So... my question is WHY is not Nigel Farage being pushed to the front of the line.

Because he's a one-trick pony.
Because he isn't an MP.
Because he isn't a member of The Conservative Party.....or any party for that matter at present.

I guess he has his own thing going now so who needs the B.S. of politics ?

Seems to be a large queue of people wanting to get involved.....I wonder why?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

It's because the conservatives haven't had their house in order during this whole fiasco, it's because she's backtracked and been much less than mediocre with most policies not just her workings with the EU.

It's not necessarily her fault though and I don't think they have anyone equally as competent to replace her.

Therefore general election.

I'd rather a hard brexit than the "deal" we've been presented.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Probably because of May's CV...past history, and she only just won the election and had to make a 50 million deal with the DUP to stay in power and get her policies through.
She has insulted her fellow MP's by cancelling the vote on the Brexit deal which should have happened last night. Mistake in my view because she would have had more power to her elbow to go back to EU and not go doffing her fetlock as she did all over Europe yesterday.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

He’s not a remainer.

I didn’t say that.

I can understand why I may have insinuated that : ie if he gets in then the Regulations which are EU implemented will no longer count, providing we leave the EU.

The contradiction comes from a lot of remainers who support him. If we remained he couldn’t implement policies.

The bit about America was a joke.

Corbyn is a joke too.

May is also a joke.

Remainers are a joke.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Hmm, Chairman of the 1922 Committee requests meeting with May tomorrow after PMQ's - as such i would not expect the vote to happen tonight (otherwise why bother requesting the meeting?) - but tomorrow night is a stronger possibility.

I also wouldn't count on her losing the vote. Despite what is being reported in the media, reports leaking out of Westminster suggest she may win by over 100! If that happens, no more leadership challenges for at least a year (written into Tory Party lore). Basically, if she wins this vote then she is there for Brexit.

As for the possible challengers, im not really sure who could take it on. Boris is great, entertaining tv but a crap actual politician. Rees-Mogg simply doesn't have the support. IDS clearly doesn't want to be leader again - either as PM or in Opposition. Dominic Raab is another of the Boris ilk - he simply doesn't have a clue (just remember him being suprised about how much UK trade relies on the Port of Dover - whilst Brexit Secretary!). Sajid Javid may well a good choice but im not really sure he wants it either.

I am a Tory. I'm not just critiscising these politicians because i am a in the Remain camp but because i closely follow the Tory Party - i am aware of the positives and negatives. And i wouldn't be in the slightest bit suprised should May win through. As i said at the start, there is a huge difference between what is being reported to (and then by) the media as to what is being whispered on the Tory benches - probably why the 1922 Chairman has requested this meeting.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Erm......you are a bit late to your own Party here......the no confidence vote is tonight between 6-8 tonight.
We should have the result by 9pm

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

It's all a joke till people start suffering from it.

Personally I think there's a lack of drive towards the future but then I know that Labour has played their cards close to their chest. Tories have a habit of pinching policy, watering them down then screwing them up on implementation.

I don't really have faith in any of the parties, it's on them to convince me. But I do have hopes and dreams for our future and they don't involve the EU.

We do need a union of sorts with Europe though. Just not that monster called the European Union.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

Probably because of May's CV...past history, and she only just won the election and had to make a 50 million deal with the DUP to stay in power and get her policies through.
She has insulted her fellow MP's by cancelling the vote on the Brexit deal which should have happened last night. Mistake in my view because she would have had more power to her elbow to go back to EU and not go doffing her fetlock as she did all over Europe yesterday.

And not to mention she threw 39 billion no strings attached at the EU before

even beginning any sort of negotiation.

Easiest money they have ever had.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join