It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump, Pelosi, Shumer and the Wall

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I just think its funny how pelosi just keeps saying, "Why not put it to a vote right now?" And Trump answers, "Why, if ten democrats won't vote for it in the senate - it won't pass so what's the point?" pelosi just doesn't get it. Why waste so much time and tax payer money if its going to amount to nothing? It never even enters her mind that these little shows she puts on solve nothing but cost money every time.

I still say put a 15% surcharge on all money transfers from the US to Mexico and use that money to pay for the wall. That way Mexico can pay for it. Win/win.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

.Pence looks ready to throat punch someone.

He kinda does, doesn't he?? Of course, Pelosi could make Mother Teresa want to throat punch someone...

Y'know, these idiots on both sides just don't get it...they work together and get things accomplished that many, dare I say most, Americans want--suddenly being reelected isn't so tough, anymore...

I wonder what's so hard about figuring that out...?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
And I still say, I would feel a lot more comfortable with the wall if trump could put a cohesive staff together, stop the WH leaks and get the support of his own political party. If he can't even do that as the leader of the free world; a 4000 mile wall might be above his skill set.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Because Pelosi is explaining old DC. Where you could push people around and call in favors. They can't do that with Trump. No one can. He is like the Joker in the Dark Knight when he says ' you have nothing '....

Schumer too. They should have played ball when Trump gave them the chance because now he can point back to it.

They talked to him about DACA

www.nytimes.com...

Then, when it got tough they did not show up and let him threaten a shut down. Same tactic and same result....

www.cnn.com...

He has them over a barrel.
edit on Decpm31pmf0000002018-12-11T21:55:22-06:000922 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Trump throws a temper tantrum on live television and people scream, 'this is what we want in a president!'

Trump made a fool of himself and Schumer could hardly contain his laughter. Pence sat there like he wanted to die. Pelosi tried to speak to Trump who would barely acknowledge her.

Mexico's not going to pay for the wall. Democrats aren't going to fund it. The wall isn't going to happen.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I find it very refreshing to finally see a POTUS that has a pair. The last thing we needed was another career politician as prez.

Pelosi and Shumer looked like a couple of strung out crackheads trying to talk to a cop. Nervous much.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
You know trumps wall plan isn't going well when conservative Ann Coulter calls him out on his BS.

www.rawstory.com...

So, a liberal rag is telling us what Anne Coulter said..

K...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: projectvxn

Same goes for you. All I ever see is you acting like you're so much better than other people, mainly liberals.

Look in the mirror.

I did look in the mirror. That's why I can't support liberals anymore.
edit on 12 12 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Nancy Pelosi really hit President Trump hard today.

twitter.com...

Of course, it was after she was far away from him. What a brave leader she is...NOT.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   
The u.s. is accepting more Immigrants then ever, legally.

Illegal crossing are at the highest point ever.

Liberals dont know when enough is enough and will cause irreversible damage.

If a boat is sinking and a life raft can only hold 10 people. Liberal Democrats will keep bringing people on board out of compassion, eventually sinking the life raft.

How these dangerous liberals have any backing from u.s. citizens is beyond me
edit on 12-12-2018 by Bloodworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

No, because even if mexico pays for it, congress has to appropriate the money. The whole "mexico will pay for the wall" thing was always just an accounting gimmick. How much did they pay in tariffs over the last year?

Now had he said mexico will build it, you'd have a point. But he didn't so you don't.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

They do look like they're drug addicts.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Trump has had a very cohesive cabinet for the better part of 2 years now. The leaks are no worse than any prior administration (other than during his first few months when the obama holdovers were sabotaging him). He has the best approval numbers among republican voters since ronald reagan, over 90% approval.

So I guess you're on board with the wall now, right?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

No, because even if mexico pays for it, congress has to appropriate the money. The whole "mexico will pay for the wall" thing was always just an accounting gimmick. How much did they pay in tariffs over the last year?

The tariffs should go to those who are suffering because of retaliatory tariffs. You know the 32 billion going to farmers because their crops are rotting and the pork industry being tariffed by Mexico.

Remember that phone call between Trump and the president of Mexico where he was almost begging him to stop saying Mexico isn't paying for the wall. Trump never had a plan to make Mexico pay for a wall it was all bull# he was selling his followers.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

Someone didn't watch the video. The only tantrum came from chucky. Trump schooled schumer and pelosi and was calm.

Let me break this down for those who didn't watch.

Basically, chuck and nancy came in hoping to leverage their power to get concessions. Trump needs 10 of chucks senators and only a few of nancy's democrats. Chuck and nancy hoped to combine these needs to leverage trump into conceding.

The first part with nancy and trump going back and forth about the house is nancy trying to gain the upper hand on trump by saying he can't get the votes in the house while trump is trying to mimize her leverage. Trump needs only a few dem votes in the house, her leverage is pretty low. But trump has effectively neutralized her by saying he doesn't care about the house because he needs a much bigger guarantee from chuck. If he can get the senators, he'll have the house with no problem, he says.

Then chuck chimes in and wants to claim the border is secure. Again this is to strengthen his position that trump doesn't need more than what he got last year. Trump points out that the statistics are based on smaller sections and it would be much better if he got a big portion $5 billion. Chuck neutralized and he knows it. He knows nancy got creamed and that's why he doesn't talk about his 10 senators.

Chuck goes on a rant (just short of yelling) then reverts to his talking points about elections having consequences and how he doesn't want to shut down the government. Trump remained calm and told him he'd take on the mantle of the government shutdown, again neutralizing a talking point from chuck. Chuck had hoped to wield the shutdown as a weapon against trump, trump took the weapon away and said he'd wield that weapon. It was nothing short of genius.

Trump owned this meeting and if you didn't think so, you either didn't watch or you're TDS infected and it's probably terminal.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

*sigh*

Again, it was always an accounting gimmick. As long as money we receive from mexico is greater than money spent on the wall, trump can claim victory. It's just that simple. Whether you think it should go to farmers or elsewhere is besides the point. Calm down and breathe.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I'm re-posting this video in case anyone missed it.

I didn't get to watch this live today... came in on the tail end of it. And of course, I didn't want to look like some other posters who obviously didn't watch it, so I just read the posts and waited until I had time to watch it. Now, here's my take:

I absolutely hate dealing with people who negotiate like Trump does. He rapid-fires statements that tend to move the conversation where he wants it to go. It's hard to steer a conversation with someone like that... one essentially must get permission to do so. Of course, the reason I hate dealing with them is it's hard to win a debate. Trump looked confident, not in his ability to control anyone in the room, but in his ability to steer the conversation, and he did so effectively.

Pence... well, he didn't have much to do. He just sat there, but I could tell he was listening intently. I figure he was looking for weakness in arguments, to be used in later negotiations.

Pelosi was caught between a rock and a hard place. Her body language told me she is running scared. If she appears too combative, she runs the risk of alienating the new batch of Democrats in the House, but if she gives too much she runs the risk of alienating her base. She's trying to get that gavel and this was just making her life miserable having to decide what to do. So she ignored Trump's point about needing the Senate votes and focused on general broad statements that meant nothing, all while wishing she could be doing this in private so she could talk freely. Trump himself even stated that she was not in a good place to talk.

That tells me her hold on the 2019 Democratic House is tenuous at best. These may not be the same leftist Democrats coming in that we have unfortunately come to expect. I haven't heard much about the Blue Dogs lately, but then again the media isn't exactly an open book either where their agenda does not advance.

Schumer... I'm sorry, Schumer is a shmuck. He knows he has failed in the Senate, and that all of his power rests on the fact that the Senate requires 60 votes to force cloture. He did not take the conversation seriously, because of that: all his power is tied up in opposing Trump and nothing else. That tells me his own reins of power over the other Democrats in the Senate are tenuous as well. He was fixated on Trump shutting the government down, to the point of refusing to acknowledge the reason Trump made those statements. He gave not an inch... not one millimeter... in any attempt to compromise, preferring to try and use the media's tactic of intellectual dishonesty to twist his opponent's words... and failed IMO. He simply cannot handle Trump in a negotiation setting.

Someone earlier claimed he could barely contain his laughter. That's not what I saw. I saw someone laughing to keep from crying.

One thing I picked up on: as usual, Trump gave himself an 'out' on the government shutdown. He mentioned it quickly in the negotiation, and someone earlier picked up on it... declaration of a national emergency and military construction of the wall. That may be what it takes, which means in order to fund the military, the funds for the wall will have to be added into the military budget. Democrats voting against full funding of the military will have a hard time explaining that to their constituents. All Trump needs is a few more caravan criminals to be caught, and his support among the people will be high enough to let him take that option without endangering the 2020 elections.

I expect him to keep the pressure for the $5B on as long as possible. He may indeed shut down the government for a while. If his support wanes, he will take whatever offer he can get and call the Military in to finish, or he will pull the old tried-and-true government tactic of simply using cost overruns to force a finish to whatever the actual funding can start.

I do expect the wall to be built. Even if Pence has to throat-punch Pelosi and Schumer.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   

There's an old bit of wisdom around here: "Never eat your seed." It comes from the days of yore when farmers kept seeds for the next crop instead of buying more every year (a Monsanto issue; please no one get me started on that!). I do the same thing in my gardening. I try to get heirloom seeds to start, and then I always save enough seeds each year to plant two more gardens.

What has that got to do with the tariffs? Everything. The principle is the same. We have two issues with Mexico: immigration (including the drugs and crime inherent with that) and economic disparity. Trump has, hopefully, fixed the economic disparity issue with the USMCA... only time will tell now. The other issue, immigration, needs a wall to be effective, and ignoring that need will likely lead to issues with the USMCA. After all, what good does enacting rules for commerce do if they become unenforceable?

I see the advantages from the USMCA as our seeds. If we use those seeds to implement next year's needed policies, we improve the number of future crops (income for the people). If we do not, if we eat our seeds for immediate wants, we will damage next year's crop. Our troubles with Mexico are not over, we have just made progress. The wise man will use that progress to stay the course. The fool will endanger future progress by using what we have done too soon before it can be completed.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

It wasn't a gimmick it was a lie.

Tariffs are nothing but a tax and the tax is passed on to us. Just go to the grocery store and you can see how it has come back to us. Congress' $867 billion farm bill is out. Here's what's in it. Trump can claim victory all he wants just like all his other lies.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

It's not a lie. When congress submits a budget they don't say "mexico paid us 40 billion in tariffs and other fees, that 40 billion is to go to cause x and cause y" In fact they don't even acknowledge gross receipts except to project deficits/surpluses. Therefore, trump can claim mexico paid for the wall, accurately, as long as the receipts from mexico exceed costs of the wall.

I'm sorry, you've been BTFO. Your attempts to change the subject to the effects of the tariff's are lame and nothing but a distraction.
edit on 12-12-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join