It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will be next UK Prime Minister, when and how?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I think we can all see that Theresa May is on borrowed time. It was a poisoned chalice taking on the role during Brexit, but she's done a crap job of it so far and is unlikely to get her 'deal' through Parliament.

So who is next? Will the DUP still want to cling to power and just vote for a new PM, or will there be a snap election and who knows what could happen in these crazy times?

My money is on the DUP and the tories clinging to power while the tories elect either Bo Jo, or Rees Mogg as next PM.
Any thoughts?

It's a bloody mess in UK politics though right now for sure.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I think we can all see that Theresa May is on borrowed time. It was a poisoned chalice taking on the role during Brexit, but she's done a crap job of it so far and is unlikely to get her 'deal' through Parliament.

So who is next? Will the DUP still want to cling to power and just vote for a new PM, or will there be a snap election and who knows what could happen in these crazy times?

My money is on the DUP and the tories clinging to power while the tories elect either Bo Jo, or Rees Mogg as next PM.
Any thoughts?

It's a bloody mess in UK politics though right now for sure.

It's a bloody mess everywhere these days for the freedom we were born with.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

BJ looks like the likely choice if the Cons can cling to power. Not a fan, to say the least.

Corbyn is resisting launching a no confidence vote because Labour's position on Brexit is fudged and would soon unravel. Sad that there is no effective Opposition to this lot. Starmer is simply out of his depth.

The whole thing is a shambles.

We are being pushed around by the French, the Germans, the Dutch, Spanish and even Malta. What would Hornblower make of it all?

May's incompetence makes me cringe.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
Division is everywhere isn't it US left/right, UK Brexit/remain, France People/state.
I've never known UK politics to be in such a mess at such an important time though.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I've never known UK politics to be in such a mess at such an important time though.

The Suez Crisis was far worse. You probably don't remember that.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

BJ looks like the likely choice if the Cons can cling to power.

Johnson is loathed by the majority of Tory MP's

Not a cat in hell's chance of him becoming PM.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I wasn't born until the 70's and I've read a little bit about it but have no idea of the politics of the time.
Can you give me it in a nutshell please, just out of interest because the UK seemed to survive that, just like we'd survive a no deal Brexit...challenges for sure but Britain is hardly likely to collapse as a nation, that would have a knock on effect with the world. Deals will be made for sure, if only inspired and forced by business not politicians.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Rees-Mogg or Johnson will likely be the next Tory leader but not necessarily the next PM.

Could be Che Guevara for Labour.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

You reckon? So Rees Mogg then?
Who is your money on, snap election and Corbyn maybe?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
Could be Che Guevara for Labour.
Pmsl! I call him Steptoe the scruffy auld bastard. I wouldn't trust him to mind my pint at the pub let alone the country.
...we've got crap choices as voters haven't we.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I hope the next PM is someone who hasn't got a finger up their ass, doesn't kick the bucket down the road... Actually knows what they are doing and what Britons actually want.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Johnson is loathed by the majority of Tory MP's Not a cat in hell's chance of him becoming PM.

That's true. He seems popular with the voters (not me) but a lot of MP's do indeed hate him. Not really keen on any of them. I sort of quite like Rees-Mogg but then again he is far too much of a toff and does not have the common touch.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaghettiHero

Good luck with that!

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

It's very worrying. Useless government, useless opposition.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I think they who ever is leading the BS wants the Brits do do away with the pound. You guys don't use the euro, do you?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
May will stay in power. She'll go back on her "no deal is better than a bad deal".....just watch her change her mind (again) and pull Article 50....so she and her lot will get to remain in power and in EU......Gilet jaune at the ready.....
edit on 11-12-2018 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel
Do you reckon? That would cause riots ignoring the referendum result.

@ musicismagic Yeh we kept the £ thank goodness, it would be even harder to leave the EU if we had adopted the Euro.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The DUP won't agree to any Brexit deal that separates Ireland for the rest the UK they want the same deal for the UK as for Northern Ireland and they aren't going to get that because the EU won't budge on the the back-stop.

There are a lot of power games being played right now, the ERC know that they have the 48 letters required to initiate a leadership contest but won't use them just yet because nobody wants to be PM right now until after March 29. I think the only way they will pull that trigger is if May changes her stance of a second referendum or indicates that she will revoke article 50

A general election won't happen because it requires a two thirds vote and the Torries won't go for it because they know that they would face a pretty huge defeat. Either that or there will be no clear winner and we will be stuck with a hung parliament with no clear winner lots of arguing about who should/shouldn't be forming a government.

Queeny won't get involved because that could spark a constitutional crisis.

So parliament are at grid-lock and its not going to change because the EU are not going to get rid of the back-stop and a Brexit deal can't pass parliament while their is a backstop in place.

Personally I believe that there will be an 11th hour bit of political theatre that will see a second referendum being called along with some really funky political hocus-pocus going on that we haven't seen in this country before.

So who will be the next PM, anyones guess really I have no idea all I know is that we are in the midst of a political crisis that nobody seems willing to put their job on the line to fix.
edit on 11-12-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Interesting reply mate

I'm drawn toward all your observations there and agree.
It is a mess though for sure.

Would you take a Corbyn/Sturgeon coalition if that became a possibility?
That thought makes me shudder as well, I don't see what choice I can make instead of a wasted vote on an independent MP candidate.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Britain is falling apart and so is the USA. Strange times we are living in. And the Japanese govt. wants to go to a cashless society. We're doomed, dudes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join