It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NVIDIA shows off AI generated graphics... (no engine)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
So I was late at the party when Elon Musk stated that he believe that the chance we live in "base reality" is 1 in a billion. This I saw a year ago. I was intriqued by that philosophical idea... also went ahead head first and opened discussions elsewhere because it rings so true to me somehow.

Most of the time people would argue against it, their basic attitude being that "no... we dont have that kind of tech" or simply "not gonna happen".

I have no problem with people not wanting to face the destruction of their own self.

But... that was last year. This is from december 3rd 2018.

The exponentiallity of technology is amazing.... I mean, it is really really amazing.

But as is grows so fast, it is also getting that much closer to a point where we have to seriously consider the above theory as being fact rather than believing that we are 1 in a billion. I would go so far as believing that humans are base coded as to think and firmly believe that we are that 1 case in the one in a billion theory because coming to the conclusion that we are a simulation would seriously disrupt "the game" or what else we are part of.

Art and individuals take chances at various degrees of risk, trying to communicate the state of our reality to the masses. But our inherited skepticism towards the idea of the insignificance of us as beings or the entire universe prevents us from removing the veil. The costs of subjecting ourselves to such beliefs are still far to great in terms of the livelihood we have to maintain in this world.
Removing ourselves from society based on extreme ideas tend to crush most individuals in the long run. Which is ironic, because if we indeed do live in a simulation, there is not consequence of anything.

If NVIDIA is at this state right now, then imagine in 1 more year, 2 more years, 4 more years, 8 more years and so forth.

If we at some point manage to make cgi generated imagery in distinguishable from reality itself, then there is a very high probability that our own world is in fact not that 1 in a billion. That we are indeed ourselves highly advance generated cgi and someone beat us to it and invented us instead.

Heck, maybe we are ourselves, but inserted from a reclined chair in a café with VR goggles on. And when you 10 dollars run out, it coincides with the moment your character in this world dies, and you will go "woah!" and then go home to your wife and kids.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It is interesting, but the theory has been around for quite some time now. And certainly long before Elon musk came around.

Here is a fun video that goes into the theory made by one of our fellow ATS members about 5 years ago.

I can't find his thread though.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The scary part is at the end where you see the AI-generated video of the guy dancing. If you thought it was bad enough that we can now create completely realistic videos of people saying whatever we want, now imagine the ability to create realistic videos of people doing whatever we want... Political candidate caught on camera grabbing a woman's ass? Easy. Frame someone for murder? No problem.
This technology is definitely a Pandora's box.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

My thoughts exactly.

Completely blurs the lines of factual evidence.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

you know what, someone posted this today

and guess what? none of them exist

yes they were created by NVIDIA

now as a conspiracy theorist on a conspiracy site im thinking how many fake criminals or terrorists has been posted

scratching my head, now where is that god damn emoji icon when you need it

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I am scared of things like this.
For the moment,I can see gamers loving this and a future version of xbox being better...what the future brings is another story.

Facial mapping, artificial intelligence used to make fake videos that look genuine to experts

Read this article www.cbc.ca...

Who needs Stanley Kubrick now??

edit on 11-12-2018 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I don't think we're 'living in a simulation'. We only developed some hardly basic (on the scale of it) AI and nothing we do will ever come close to fabricating a universe like the one we see. We are all here as living breathing individuals, however I will say it's all too convenient and confusing how existence is as it looks and that we are literally comprised of structural DNA.

If atoms can behave like they are here on earth, literally making compounds of themselves in a way that they too can survive, just imagine the endless supply of life that is clearly abundant in the universe.
What really makes something sentient? Every creature is aware of it's own existence, the only known species that believes in gods or an AI is human.

If i went outside and chopped my arm off, the pain would be very much real. Who would implement something like that?

I believe there is something after death but it is not AI.
decomposing into a spirit atom and starting again is a possibility that I like to believe but will never understand.
edit on 11-12-2018 by SpaghettiHero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

hehe... he's actually better at explaining it and I can imagine Musk's statements originated from these studies.

And he only mentioned Modern Warfare as a game example. GTA has sold 100.000.000 copies. Now that game isn't yet indistinguishable from "reality", but we again assume exponential evolution, and assume that sales of future products almost only go up, then we are in theory already past 1 in 100.000.000 chance that we live in "base reality", since those who would have made our simulation naturally didn't start at our point in time in terms of reference to a starting point.

Consider this; if you and I would sit down and discuss the creation of a simulation for the purpose of entertainment or research and our goal was to make it as real as possible, what would be our basic requirements for the inhabitants of that simulation?

- We could not allow them to be sentient beings to the point of knowing what they really are.

- We would confine our subjects to a space that is based on logic, alas complex logic. That space would also have to be visually large enough to not comprehend or contest.

- We would have to segregate them in races and groups as well as tiers of wealth to prevent them from uniting in a singular race, since unity would speed up realisation. One way of doing that would be imposing religion on them. This would also enforce postponing realisation because of the mechanics of religion "you were created by a magical being". Which funnily enough would be part true yet still quite...fantastical and "beyond yourselves".

That would branch out a lot of concepts that would inevitably become "faith" or "belief" or "philosophy" which again would aid in segregation, preventing unity.

- Insert little things in their base character like "ambition" and "greed"... or "ego". All subjects that serve to us wanting to push forward, obtain more and better things than the other guy and keep us from letting our minds stray from the set path.

Those are pretty much what you'd need to just start the simulation. From then on, things could almost be added as we go. Depending on the time scale from the originators point of view; they could keep addind stuff as the game took place. Fitting with the advancements of their creation.

I think their biggest problem would be if they live by some sort of moral codex as we try to do ourselves. There has already been asked questions wether AI robots would have rights.
If we assume we are a simulation and someone is watching us, at some point there will be one of them who poses the question of us having rights because we were allowed to evolve to the point where we obtained some degree of self realisation (as seen from the originators point of view).

Dangerous stuff... I mean, one consequence could be that they would conclude themselves that they would have to euthanise us before we got too advanced. Have we reached that point? Are we past it and was allowed to go on? What made them do this? Basically if we had to defend ourselves we could argue that we were nothing more than goldfish suddenly finding out what we are and what we live in, but regardless of how dismayed we would be, the fact that we could not exist outside the bowl anyway would pretty much mean that they might as well let us live.

If we indeed are that 1 in 1.000.000.000 chance, maybe it would be decent of us as the lead race in the universe to soon sit down, make peace, and figure out how to handle our future challenges with AI and discuss rights, but very much so also restrictions and what to do once we reach the point where we manage to invent a simulation that is the exact mirror of our own world.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaghettiHero
I don't think we're 'living in a simulation'. We only developed some hardly basic (on the scale of it) AI and nothing we do will ever come close to fabricating a universe like the one we see. We are all here as living breathing individuals, however I will say it's all too convenient and confusing how existence is as it looks and that we are literally comprised of structural DNA.

If atoms can behave like they are here on earth, literally making compounds of themselves in a way that they too can survive, just imagine the endless supply of life that is clearly abundant in the universe.
What really makes something sentient? Every creature is aware of it's own existence, the only known species that believes in gods or an AI is human.

If i went outside and chopped my arm off, the pain would be very much real. Who would implement something like that?

I believe there is something after death but it is not AI.
composing into a spirit atom and starting again is a possibility that I like to believe but will never understand.

Or... what is the species that make humans believe in AI or gods?

Spread out evolution in tech. Think of the steps taken so far, now go exponential on that evolution. In theory, it does not matter if "we" are able to make that sort of stuff right now. It only matters if we are able to at some point....

Pretend RDR2 characters are indeed alive, that they themselves believe their realm is real and that they see themselves as meaty organisms made of some fantastical concept as atoms are. But at the same time know that they are wrong and we are playing them. Their time line are 100 years behind the timeline of their creators... they don't have the tech to create what we do, but we have it. They probably couldn't even begin to comprehend it. Yet here it is....

Apply that to our reality.

Our potential creators reside on a timeline maybe 1000 years ahead of us... maybe just just 500 maybe 100.000. Maybe "universe" is a nostalgic flashback game, state of the art and while we the characters in it believe it's 2018, and we only have tech for this and that, they in fact are far more advanced and the true nature of reality is beyond complex compared to our string theories and quantum mechanics.

But I hope I can say this without offending you, as it is not my intention. What you wrote there, perfectly, for my part atleast, illustrate the basic structure of what would be a being in a simulated reality.
I'm not saying that you are not real, but that maybe we are not real in the sense we think... But that we are moving so fast towards that kind of real that we have been allowed to progress instead of being destroyed.

But that thought about atoms is sooo interesting. The very idea that atoms in specific combinations can exist in varying forms and affect eachother is mind boggling. Imagine the level of programming skills needed pull that off and having it run silently besides a physics engine.
The size of that which contains this must be huge.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: flice

Think people are more "programmed" to believe we are Not "special". At least, to me, that seems the harder reality to accept. That we really are "it". Try taking it a step further...not only are we in the Real universe, but we are the only intelligent physical life.

(i wont get into ghosts and angels and gods and other "nonphysical" intelligent life, because that just a big question mark, but just play along and see how "hard" it is to let yourself believe this...)

If that were true, then, that means, if we fail, then... thats it. That's the end of intelligent physical life in the universe. Perhaps the only universe. The only physical form of existence. And intelligent life would be absent from it if we failed to continue existing.

It's much more comforting to think that:
this is just a simulation so nothing matters,
or its some kind of a test or game,
or aliens/god/etc will step in if something happens,
etc...

At the very least we like to think there are other people out there working on the problems that really matter. Someone whos job it is to do that sort of thing. Someone whos getting paid to worry about it so we don't have to.

Either way, our participation (in the things that really matter, even providing our own food) is not really necessary. At the end of the day, it really doesn't "matter" if I work day and night at something like linguistics or microbiology, become a career criminal, the best shoe polisher in the world, or commit suicide.

I think thats how most people feel and I think convincing people they do matter is actually the greater challenge.

Edit to add

We have an urge to continue existing and to create more humans to keep existing after we die. What if that is "the trap" that keeps us in this "karmic wheel" forever? Because people can't resist sexual pleasure. Do we really have an urge to create more humans to keep existing after we die, or are children just a by product of the sex we love so much?

I guess women do have a genuine urge to have children... but for men, I think we find a woman we love being around and especially having sex with, and if she doesn't want to have sex unless it leads to a possibility of conception, then all the sudden we are all for having children.

Sure, after the 1st child is born, the man sometimes forms a bond and enjoys being a parent. But up till that point he was just being a guy and doing what it took to keep having sex.

So, maybe this is what keeps dragging us into this existence to suffer. 90% of humans on Earth are in what I would call various states of suffering almost constantly. Poverty, Hunger, Unsanitary Conditions leading to constant illnesses. They didn't ask to be born. I can't blame their parents for seeking a few moments of happiness. Even in 1st world nations we have lots of sex and drugs and what do we have to worry about? We have clean water and medicine and food.

But, every selfish act of indulgence must be punished 7x. (maybe, i dont know)

In case you wondered, masturbating counts. Even if you were interrupted and didn't get to finish, it's the thought that counts! For every time you ever did it or started doing it or even thought about it, you'll be doomed to 7 more lives on Prison- er I mean, PLANET Earth... 90% of those lives will be lived in near constant misery... thats IF you are assigned a life in modern times. In the past, like before year 1950, it was closer to 99% almost constantly miserable people, and back before 1800 it was more like 99.9% (even pharoes did not have cars, google maps, toilet paper, etc), and if you go back far enough, rumor has it there was a Golden Age, but, who really knows? There was probably only a few hundred or thousands of people back then, so, most of those lives have probably already been lived by other more deserving souls.

So, maybe the answer is to, like a Thanos style super villain, simply extermimate all life. Free it from it's bonds. This toxic addiction to life is unsustainable. It breeds misery.
edit on 12/11/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
That's not AI.

They are using Unreal Engine 4.

Still looks Fake AF.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: flice

Could they find any more stereotypically geeky Japanese technology wizards? 🤓

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

I'm surprised I do not see Al baghdadi in there. He is the fictional non existent immortal leader of ISIS who has been killed and resurrected half a dozen times.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
No one is going to invent a video game where a player is literally trapped in a virtual world until they die in game. That's some creepy Rick and Morty stuff and it's fictional for a reason.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The world is not an AI Simulation, people.

No AI Engine would EVER let its subjects find out they are just rats, then let the rats destroy the engine internally only to create their own.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
3n19m470 NOT this guy from the age I even started wanting sex my thought was on having kids some day a effect of this was I was very carefull not to get a girl preggers Before I was ready to be able to rise a child .
Just because a person is male does not mean they Only WANT SEX FOR SEX .
frankly you sound like a women when you make that statement .

As to the family group even 200 k years agaio it STILL revolved around men wanting to have kids and keep them alive .
Even a male dog has some understanding of its roll in helping raise the pups it helped make .

as for the universe being All AI and humans being a program I WANT access to my code .
first my spelling sucks who ever programmed it should be FIRED .
Second who every programmed me should not just be fir4e but taken out and SHOT .
As no one should have so many things go wrong in one life time .

Programs you say ? then the programmers are MAD slobbering mad i say .

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I believe that we are living in a material projection of a quantum reality. Our thoughts are like chisels capable of shaping the universe. We can also be passive and let other powers shape it for ourselfs.
This is indeed less real/material than a brick and is opened for manipulations by other actors that in certain conditions might look like a simulation but it's more like a prison instead. A very tricky prison.
edit on 11-12-2018 by KiwiNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Then I would ask what is our consciousness in this simulation?

Are we hijacked conscious souls put in order in this simulator?

Are we prisoned Gods restraint in this simulation?

Are we fractalized parallel conscious energy doing thing repeatedly over and over until we die but reborn to relive the same fate endlessly?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Dr UAE

I'm surprised I do not see Al baghdadi in there. He is the fictional non existent immortal leader of ISIS who has been killed and resurrected half a dozen times.

you see albaghdadi does exist long before this #
here is a picture of him with a girl friend but unfortunately couldnt find the whole picture with alcoholics, i have seen it years ago

used to be with bottles of alcohol in front of them but cant find it

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Mr Siff!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join