It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez claims she is Jewish

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I remember a couple years ago...Republicans were saying that the only reason that left-wing people were complaining about Trump so much was because he was right, and he must be doing something right because so many Democrats were against him, and it's ridiculous to be against him, etc etc etc.
Now, we have the EXACT situation in reverse. Right-wing folks are going nuts trying to paint her in a negative light every chance they get. So, to extrapolate...she must be doing something right?

I'm genuinely interested in seeing her in office. No, not because I expect her to fail (although that's a possibility in this political climate). It's because she's bringing something desperately needed to government: thoughts of change. She recognizes that our current government (before you jump on me: not just Trump's government, the US government in general) is outdated and we need to catch up. I like that. I'm impressed by her and I'm excited to see what ideas she brings to the table.

To clarify, that doesn't mean I'm a fan of her policies (yet, that remains to be seen), but I am interested to see what she brings to the table. Our country desperately needs new voices, and she has potential to be a good voice.

For those of you who think of her as not-so-smart, we could set up a competition where people post incorrect/dumb things she's stated and other people can post incorrect/dumb things Trump has stated...that might not go the way you want.
Bottom line, everyone on the planet says dumb things from time to time. She is no less intelligent than most other government officials.

Bottom line, attack the message, not the messenger. If you have an argument against her platform or what she's pushing for or what she stands for, argue against those things, don't constantly try to bring up ways to put her down. It makes you (the collective you) look weak. It's part of the reason why so many left-wing folks see Trump as weak, he attacks people, not policies and ideas, which makes him seem immature. It is not a symbol of power to be able to belittle someone, it's actually a symbol of fear.

This thread and most threads about her, to me, amount to a grade school classroom: "let's all band together and pick on the new girl!"
Attack policies, not people. Otherwise, it isn't a fun conversation for most people.

As for the Jewish thing...who says you can't be Jewish and hate Israel?
I'm American and I strongly dislike a lot of America's policies. That doesn't mean I'm not American.
If I had Cambodian ancestry, that wouldn't mean I couldn't love Cambodian culture but hate the Cambodian genocide and government policies.
Not everything is black and white. Actually, pretty much everything isn't.

edit on 11-12-2018 by narrator because: typo

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Just another reason for the far right to hate her even more. a reply to: Trueman

Whys that? Trump's a Jew and the left says he's a Nazie.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
This lady lives rent free in the minds of ATS'ers.

I know, it's fantastic. I'm kind of flummoxed myself because for all my attempts at worming arguments into intractable minds here on ATS she seems to be able to do it effortlessly, and the best part is she's co-opted her detractors to carry the banner for her.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Misleading title.
She never claimed she is Jewish but rather that some of her ancestors were Jews who fled from Spain to Puerto Rico during the inquisition.
But hey. Another day another thread where old half - senile Trumptardos spout lies and bs.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: narrator

Now, we have the EXACT situation in reverse. Right-wing folks are going nuts trying to paint her in a negative light every chance they get.

No, not the same thing. I keep hearing people say that over and over, as if they're trying to convince themselves of it, but no matter how much one calls a turd a ham sandwich, it still tastes like a turd.

The attacks on Trump were just that: attacks. There was no humor. No one on the left was laughing. They were foaming at the mouth with hatred. They were (and are) willing to ignore laws, make up new laws, believe known liars, create false images, and anything else to they needed to do to get rid of Donald Trump.

I can't speak for everyone, but my laughter at Cortez, as well as I suspect that of many others, is actual amusement. I don't hate Cortez. I don't want her impeached, jailed, or even to fail. I think she's funny. I actually don't even think her IQ is low... I just think her political persuasion has blinded her to the facts of life, and she's struggling to understand what she is to do in this new and strange world that exists outside her previous life-bubble. Think of it as the classic culture clash comedy.

This statement she made isn't funny. I see nothing funny about wondering what one's heritage is, nor about being Jewish in some way. I see nothing troubling about either, either. It just is. I wouldn't have cared about Pocahontas if she hadn't tried to force political correctness for so long on the 'peasants' beneath her, and then used cultural misappropriation herself.

She recognizes that our current government (before you jump on me: not just Trump's government, the US government in general) is outdated and we need to catch up. I like that. I'm impressed by her and I'm excited to see what ideas she brings to the table.

I remind you that change is not always good or positive. Losing one's job will change their life, but likely not in any good or positive way. A serious illness is a change, but there is nothing good or positive about that.

Thus far, Cortez has not impressed me with her ability to make good or positive change. Her ideals seem to lean toward irresponsible spending and increased regulation of people's actions... I consider neither of those good things. Irresponsible spending leads to inflation, which hurts the poor, and regulation is a loss of freedom; some is of course necessary, but too much is very problematic.

She also has shown no ability to work with others, and no idea how the government works. That is essential if she is to be at all successful. I use as an example her attendance in a protest against Nancy Pelosi. Her position in the Congress will likely be determined by Pelosi, and at his point it appears she might wind up with a committee seat in the Broom Closet Cleaning committee. All because she wanted to join a protest.

Bottom line, attack the message, not the messenger. If you have an argument against her platform or what she's pushing for or what she stands for, argue against those things, don't constantly try to bring up ways to put her down. It makes you (the collective you) look weak. It's part of the reason why so many left-wing folks see Trump as weak, he attacks people, not policies and ideas, which makes him seem immature. It is not a symbol of power to be able to belittle someone, it's actually a symbol of fear.

Some of us have been trying to do just that for quite some time. It didn't work. I was unable to speak out against Obama's policies, because doing so would brand me as a 'racist' and that brand is not only offensive to me, but can have real-world implications... Just ask Paula Dean, Duane Chapman, or Terry Bollea.

When Obama finally left office, it was our turn to vote in someone who listened to our voice for a change... and what happened? He was attacked, viciously, from every angle. The racism card was played again, he was called stupid despite his successes, he was roasted in the media on a daily basis, and he was threatened with impeachment before he ever took office. Now, two years later, with the accusations and personal destruction attempts still continuing, we hear the cries of "attack the message, not the messenger"? Sorry, but after the last two years that has a very hollow ring to it.

As a matter fact, it sounds like "how dare you do to me what I did to you! That's not fair!"

Sorry. That's the definition of fair.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

Not sure how that changes the fact that she lives rent free in a lot of people's heads. Sounds like she's doing a pretty good job of getting under people's skin, I'm pretty sure that's her entire purpose.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: MteWamp

Not sure how that changes the fact that she lives rent free in a lot of people's heads. Sounds like she's doing a pretty good job of getting under people's skin, I'm pretty sure that's her entire purpose.

So, you believe that the "entire purpose" of a congressman is to "get under people's skin"?

Jesus Christ, that DAMN sure explains a lot....

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I doubt she is Jewish, but even if she (by some miracle of a chance) was, she'd still be one of the dumbest people I've ever had the displeasure of listening speak. Her ideas are themselves destructive because they are indicative of the low-brow turn our politics have taken (as is the nature/intent of a democracy: a bunch of morons will vote for anything, especially when Pols lie)

Sorry No-cashio Cortez, you don't get to hide behind any "identity." Your "identity" won't protect you from criticism for your stupid ideas or the stupid things you say

As it should be!

<< 1  2   >>

join