It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US committed to record defense spending at 750 billion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

There Will be Wars , and Rumors of Wars , but in the End , those that are " Prepared " Prevail ............

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Defense spending as a % of GDP. The US is at 3.6%

1 Oman 12.1
2 Saudi Arabia 10.3
3 Congo 6.2
4 Kuwait 5.8
5 Algeria 5.7
6 Jordan 4.8
7 Israel 4.7
8 Lebanon 4.5
9 Russia 4.3
10 Bahrain 4.1
11 Armenia 4.0
12 Azerbaijan 3.9
12 Iraq 3.9
14 Pakistan 3.5
15 Namibia 3.4
15 Ukraine 3.4

Wiki

While I agree that our military is way bigger than it needs to be, and we can definitely spend our money more efficiently, compared to the rest of the world we're not that bad. I think population size and geographical size of a nation should also factor in.

Also don't forget that we carry the largest burden in defending Europe. And weren't you crying about Trump calling out NATO and the UN for not pulling their own weight just a few months ago?

Yeah but that doesn't give them the results they want. Pretty much any other metric you compare between countries, it's % of GDP or per capita. But anti-military zealots want to make our budget look outrageous so they can't use those more realistic metrics.

The "military industrial complex" is what gives us our high-tech equipment. When we do have to go to war, if we didn't have such a technological advantage, we would lose more people. It's a pretty simple premise. "Spend less on the military. Who cares if more of them die?"

Over 50% of our federal budget is spent on social programs. Defense is between 15 and 20 percent depending on the year. You tell me what's the problem.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

originally posted by: toysforadults
China spends 151 billion. so we out spend China on military by 5x

does China even have a Navy? Who else has a Navy?

what the hell are we so worried about?

Doesn't China have more carriers then we do?

No.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
All I can think is that this is the price Trump has to pay to get the cooperation of the MIC.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

What do you mean we would lose more people exactly? Spending money on defense isn't a social program when so many people get jobs and money from that? don't see much difference really.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn

What do you mean we would lose more people exactly? Spending money on defense isn't a social program when so many people get jobs and money from that? don't see much difference really.

It's pretty simple really. When you have to go to war, having better equipment than the other guy allows you to keep your own casualties down. Desert Storm was a prime example. Everyone expected thousands of casualties on our side when we had to kick Iraq out of Kuwait. Iraq had the 4th largest army in the world and was considered well-equipped with Soviet equipment. But Saddam made the mistake of doing this right after the end of the Cold War when America had spent decades building up its military and investing in new, high-tech equipment. Our combat casualties were 10 times less than expected because we had them completely outmatched.

You can argue all day whether we should or shouldn't be involved in xyz war, but the fact is wars happen, and when we have to send our guys in, the better equipment we can give them and the better training they have, the fewer of them will come home draped under flags. I'm willing to spend money on that.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

C'mon the war against Iraq was a joke. It was nothing to be proud about.
Sure it was really really easy compared with all that old equipment Iraq had (it only was the 4th strongest army for the total so called people in total in numbers where enlisted (but where they really!?), and even after that after Bush standing on the carrier the war is over!, it wasn't over at all. Having air security was easy (against old&few jets) after that countless of rocket attacks. And the remaining (old) tanks easy peachy for Apache heli's and such.

After that countless of people blowing them self up, terrorists on the rise, Isis after... basically en lighting a fire which only grew stronger after with still no end in sight.
Just see all those millions of people fleeing to Europe ever since, must have been a great victory when they do such a thing?

Be proud.

But tell why this war was needed for US security!?
edit on 10-12-2018 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn

C'mon the war against Iraq was a joke. It was nothing to be proud about.
Sure it was really really easy compared with all that old equipment Iraq had (it only was the 4th strongest army for the total so called people in total in numbers where enlisted (but where they really!?), and even after that after Bush standing on the carrier the war is over!, it wasn't over at all. Having air security was easy (against old&few jets) after that countless of rocket attacks. And the remaining (old) tanks easy peachy for Apache heli's and such.

After that countless of people blowing them self up, terrorists on the rise, Isis after... basically en lighting a fire which only grew stronger after with still no end in sight.
Just see all those millions of people fleeing to Europe ever since, must have been a great victory when they do such a thing?

Be proud.

But tell why this war was needed for US security!?

You're thinking of the 2003 invasion. I'm talking about Desert Storm. I'm embarrassed for this site that that post even got one star.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The world being what it is no one is saying the US should disarm.

All I’m suggesting is an international mutual agreement that particularly the major countries go into disarmament agreements that will free countries to use all that money for other more humane and productive purposes.

We can transfer the military defense industry to massive green industrial purposes and space technologies.

Remember what Eisenhower warned against
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Comparing percentages of GDP to somehow justify the USA's military budget is misleading. Given the cost of military hardware it might be that a smaller country has to spend a higher percentage in order to maintain a reasonable defence.

There will never be peace in the world when the leading nation needs constant war to justify it's skewed economic policies. The USA is the land of the gun and by extension the bomb. It is the biggest exporter of terror on the planet.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
The point of that spending is to make sure there are no other navies and air forces that can threaten our borders. I used to be all against the ever increasing defense budget, and then I realized it is actually quite trivial. The banking industry generates at least seven trillion dollars a year from electronic transfer fees. Thats from everything like you gassing up at the pump or tapping your phone at the pinpad for a burger, to multi billion dollar wire transfers between institutions.

We have to figure at least half of that is part of the Western financial hegemony, and the other part the rising Eastern bloc. That plus illicit drug trade is the true source of funding for our global adventurism and is why the rising budget will never cripple our economy. They are technically using the defense budget to launder that money, and is why it always goes up. They continue to churn out dividends and need to wash it somehow. What better way than using clever account to make it look like taxes alone pay for so many Carrier fleets, advanced bombers, guided munitions, and updated nuclear arsenal, large military aide packages to our friends fighting in the revolution of the quarter in some far off land...

So as long as that budget keeps rising, I know our economy is actually still in good hands, because it means the big money (which is technically made up magic money at the point the fee is collected) is growing and continues to need to be washed.

If you really want to make a difference, start by stopping the use of electronic funds transfer to pay for goods and services, and tell your family and friends to do the same. Every time you swipe, tap, or insert chip, or even hit submit on a web page, you have just made the empire stronger with micro fees collected every second from every human on Earth that spends that way. And that money for the fee had to be created out of thin air. Perhaps that was the real warning of the mark of the beast?? That the beast will ultimately collect its power though the apathy of the humans who keep on feeding its growth.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

It's not possible stop paying for goods and services electronically in this day and age.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon
yes it is. Your just too whiny and spoiled to put up with very mild inconvenience. Therefore, you have voted for perpetual warfare as the default, because visiting a human in a line was just too much trouble.

Our rent, paid in cash every month. Groceries, fuel, paid with cash. Our phone bill, paid in cash. Internet bill is even paid in cash. I will be showing up to the office Friday to pay it.

What can one person do against a global empire?? Do the one thing you can do with your choices, stop giving them extra money they can create out of nothing.
Do not rationalize your choices by acting like it has no effect. All you have to do is only spend and pay with what is in your physical possession.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I like that idea but I can't see it making one bit of difference. I always use cash when I can, I prefer it but even if everyone followed your suggestion the financial services industry will still carry on. There are many things that insist on electronic payment. Landlords demand a direct debit be set up, car insurance is the same to name but two.

ETA, I'm not whiny, you just have a silly attitude lol.

edit on 10-12-2018 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   

MONEY, ARMS, WAR, PROFIT

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
China spends 151 billion. so we out spend China on military by 5x

does China even have a Navy? Who else has a Navy?

what the hell are we so worried about?

China can so do to us what we did the Soviets during the cold war.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

The count is between 70 to 80 million lost in WW2. That was conventional and ended with a nuke. The ramp up to war always is preceded with a military buildup.

The US has changed 'sides' in the last 18 months. The US was on a global path and now it is not. Nationalism and Isolationism, a closing of the checkbook globally if you will. Oil exports have exceeded imports for the first time in 50 plus years. Want to know what needs gas and oil? War.

It is there. On the horizon. China is coming into the fold. So will Russia. The media wants us to think they are the enemy but we all want a common goal.

A new TPP with China and non-militarized trade routes are crucial unless manufacturing is brought back to the US which China is seeing. Billions and billions not there anymore.

The US used to give it away like a drunk sailor but now accounting is in the house. I only hope that what happens is quick.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
And , your point is what ?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I would rather my tax dollars go to healthcare.

I wish we got to vote on how OUR money is spent!

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

Comparing percentages of GDP to somehow justify the USA's military budget is misleading. Given the cost of military hardware it might be that a smaller country has to spend a higher percentage in order to maintain a reasonable defence.

There will never be peace in the world when the leading nation needs constant war to justify it's skewed economic policies. The USA is the land of the gun and by extension the bomb. It is the biggest exporter of terror on the planet.

Comparing percentage of GDP is how every other economic subject is compared between countries. Find one article on education spending that only looks at outright dollars. The US spends way more on education than any other country because we have the biggest economy. Same with defense. When they look at the NATO or UN budget, they look at percentage of GDP, otherwise it looks like the US is paying for the whole thing. It's only when people want it to look like the US spends an unusual amount of money on our military that people look at outright dollars. If you use a realistic metric, like percentage of GDP or percentage of federal budget, we're about in line with what other countries spend. I know that sucks because it's not the preferred narrative that some people want, but it's reality.
edit on 11 12 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join