It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US committed to record defense spending at 750 billion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

57 years ago President Dwight Eisenhower spoke those words at the end of his tenure as president.

Today President Trump has committed the US to the highest figure in history at 750 billion

This is not a Trump issue as all the presidents have always massively raised the defense budget thereby giving in to the powerful Military Industrial Complex

The Department is committed to ensuring our military remains the most lethal force in the world. We are working with OMB (Office of Management and Budget) to determine the department’s topline number,” a Defense Department spokesman told CNN. The historically unprecedented numbers further inflate the US’ already world-largest defense budget. Washington is spending as much as the next 7 countries combined, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). Last year, defense was one of the few increases in a budget which saw cuts to the EPA, Health and Human Services and education departments, to name just a few.

www.rt.com...
www.talk1067atlanta.com...
www.politico.com...

Interestingly, Eisenhower as the president did nothing to stop this himself save speak about it.

Eisenhower could talk the talk but couldn’t walk the walk.

Trump actually tried to cut the budget but was bum-rushed by the Military, the defense secretary Maddog Mattias and senators beholden to the Military Industrial Complex

This is a world-wide issue and particularly a US problem in that the US has the highest budget for defense than the next 7 countries combined!

This is an indication that the human race has lost the battle of moral and common sense regarding war, the massive building up of Weapons of Mass Destruction and the massive influence of the Military Industrial Complex that President Eisenhower warned about almost 60 years ago.

Just imagine if all the major countries came together and all of them agreed to cut their defense budgets a substantial percentage what that could mean for the human race when that money could be spent on human needs, not war preparations. Not to mention the reality that the next war may be one dominated by WMDs and that could spell the end of life as we know it...

It’s a world-wide problem and only the US, as the leading world power is at the head of the snake. It’s unfortunate then that what Eisenhower direly warned against has won the day.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Defense spending as a % of GDP. The US is at 3.6%

1 Oman 12.1
2 Saudi Arabia 10.3
3 Congo 6.2
4 Kuwait 5.8
5 Algeria 5.7
6 Jordan 4.8
7 Israel 4.7
8 Lebanon 4.5
9 Russia 4.3
10 Bahrain 4.1
11 Armenia 4.0
12 Azerbaijan 3.9
12 Iraq 3.9
14 Pakistan 3.5
15 Namibia 3.4
15 Ukraine 3.4

Wiki

While I agree that our military is way bigger than it needs to be, and we can definitely spend our money more efficiently, compared to the rest of the world we're not that bad. I think population size and geographical size of a nation should also factor in.

Also don't forget that we carry the largest burden in defending Europe. And weren't you crying about Trump calling out NATO and the UN for not pulling their own weight just a few months ago?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

My point is conceptual. In terms of morality and survival issues, not economics.

As well as freedom issues regarding our countries independence from the MIC.
edit on 10-12-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
China spends 151 billion. so we out spend China on military by 5x

does China even have a Navy? Who else has a Navy?

what the hell are we so worried about?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Trump tried to reduce the Defense budget? Umm no he didn't. He ran on strengthing the military and it's one of the things he always praises himself for.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It's not the size, it's how you use it. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It’s not just the US but other countries a well are getting dependent on military spending and a culture of war.

In an age where humans have the capacity to destroy the whole thing isn't it sensible to try to foster world peace and the reduction of military spending for many reasons along with survival issues.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I just don't understand what everyone is so afraid of I don't get it?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Stevenjames15

I don’t want to get into a Trump thread but I think he did give lip service to reduction.

The importance of this issue transcends presidents

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
We dont spend enough on our military.
At least not for the mission it's being asked to preform.
You want less spending?
Reduce the mission load.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
www.google.com...

War is a hideous thing. When there is peace we forget its horrors and then are reminded when we stupidly get into another war.

It’s our young men mainly who get mangled in these wars that old men or adventurous crazy warmongers usually start.

Not to mention the civilians, woman and children who suffer tremendously. Look at Yemen now where there is a famine because of the war over there

Lastly, don’t you realize how the next war may be the last with horrors beyond your imagination

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Your right, ultimately it’s the morality of the so-called civilization that needs to take an integral and universal approach to the issue.

Eisenhower brought up the idea that we have been taken over by a war machine that is an addictive beast and a self-perpetuating monster that needs to feed on the reality of war and suffering and in the process assist in breaking the society’s economic base or worst addicting the economy to war-making.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

There's a thought.

Frankly, the US military is asked to do far, far too much.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It's in the Constitution as to "provide for the common defense." Most of the stuff the government spends money on is not. Don't lay this "morality" crap on this. No other country does.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
China spends 151 billion. so we out spend China on military by 5x

does China even have a Navy? Who else has a Navy?

what the hell are we so worried about?

Doesn't China have more carriers then we do?
And massive, functional rail cannons?

I think we spend entirely too much on military, but only because we spend it so poorly. The MIC spends at least three times what it should on parts and equipment, and every other turn. They know they have a blank check so they don't ever price check- they buy whatever they want from whoever they're used to buying from.
Chinese government owns the manufacturing companies making their parts, so there's no profit margin from start to finish- meaning they can build a lot more for a lot less money. This is compounded of course by the low wage standards of the people doing all the work.

Hard to compete- especially when their industry was built on our willingness to sell out our own economy!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A (female) teacher sending some nude photo's to a 15 year old boy and faces up to 20 years in jail if convicted.

Yet the government killing countless of people with wars, and facing nothing! (THE U.S. HAS BEEN AT WAR 222 OUT OF 239 YEARS).

Like against Iraq, first with sanctions, let alone the war, note: the war against terror is way longer then ww2 after 9-11 until this day still exists, the number nobody knows exactly how many died since then (let alone wounded and displaced). For example only the sanctions against Iraq before this war against terror:

As many as 576,000 Iraqi children may have died since the end of the Persian Gulf war because of economic sanctions imposed by the Security Council, according to two scientists who surveyed the country for the Food and Agriculture Organization.

But for sure it's odd that the US never gets attacked, the US needs so much spending on defense!?

The US currently spends over 1 trillion (and growing) more then have each year. And when looking at that number on spending on defense (0.75 trillion/year) it's sure a problem not only for peace worldwide but for spending getting out of control for sure at home. Of course selling weapons is big business worldwide, but a big reason so much tensions and wars exist as well! But the government itself isn't accountable it seems for all that suffering! But somehow this is accepted and normal and somehow people in the US believes the military is there for the good.

But you try to send some nude pictures to a minor, sure it's bad I guess.. but for boys at that age a dream to come out for sure and getting a change for 20 years in prison!?. Just shows how messed up morals get/are.

edit on 10-12-2018 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

ridiculous comparison...

our 3.6% is the equivalent of those top 20 other country' overall annual GDP combined.

you'd have to conflate our 3.6% to our overall GDP to see a real equivalence

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Why does everyone act like all military spending is weapons of mass destruction.

A lot of spending goes to salary, upkeep, and yes precision weapons.

It is disengenous and also makes you sound like you don't know what you are talking about when you just say WMD

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

It's like it has become like a gravedigger killing people for more profit basically. And acting like I'm just doing my job and all is fine and dandy.
edit on 10-12-2018 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Defense spending as a % of GDP. The US is at 3.6%

1 Oman 12.1
2 Saudi Arabia 10.3
3 Congo 6.2
4 Kuwait 5.8
5 Algeria 5.7
6 Jordan 4.8
7 Israel 4.7
8 Lebanon 4.5
9 Russia 4.3
10 Bahrain 4.1
11 Armenia 4.0
12 Azerbaijan 3.9
12 Iraq 3.9
14 Pakistan 3.5
15 Namibia 3.4
15 Ukraine 3.4

Wiki

While I agree that our military is way bigger than it needs to be, and we can definitely spend our money more efficiently, compared to the rest of the world we're not that bad. I think population size and geographical size of a nation should also factor in.

Also don't forget that we carry the largest burden in defending Europe. And weren't you crying about Trump calling out NATO and the UN for not pulling their own weight just a few months ago?

The problem is our military is being used to protect and support globalist ambitions, not to support and defend our country.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join