It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got double charged using an ATM - Banks suck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
In my twenties, I was broke all the time, because I was a problem drinker.

One night I tore through the thundersauce and I was still thirsty. I deposited an empty envelope into the ATM and got to withdraw some cash. (They used to let you withdraw the first X amount of dollars from any transaction.)

I knew I'd be able to deposit legit money into my account in several days. The way I figured it, the entire world revolves on money that isn't real/doesn't exist...why shouldn't I?

The nice thing was that when they called me in to show me the tapes, I played it like "Damn I've got egg on my face over this one, I was pretty drunk..." (Which was the truth.) It worked.

I wish I did better things with my twenties, I'll admit it first.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Have you taken into account that there may have been a card skimmer on that particular ATM? Thieves are really creative now, and if they can make their theft look like an ATM or bank error then their chances of getting away with it are greater.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealityIsAbsurd
Have you taken into account that there may have been a card skimmer on that particular ATM? Thieves are really creative now, and if they can make their theft look like an ATM or bank error then their chances of getting away with it are greater.

Yes, that was my first thought, but the ATM company verified that it only went through one time. No skimmer.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, that's good. Good luck on getting the bank to come through for you.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I call the ATM owner, they show me only swiping once and only taking it out once and say banks do it ALL THE TIME. (I believe the ATM company)

Really ?
Second line and
"Nuff Said"

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

If you use an atm machine that is not supported by your bank then your bank will charge a fee and the atm's bank will also charge a fee.

My bank refunds any ATM charges imposed by another bank or ATM company. Just happened on my latest out-of-state jaunt. The bank charges me nothing for my account. But banks suck. M'kay.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That's odd alright.

If you use an atm machine that is not supported by your bank then your bank will charge a fee and the atm's bank will also charge a fee.

One way to avoid this is by going to a store like Walmart and buying a pack of gum or something else you need and getting cash back.
No fee that way.

This isn't about the ATM fee

This is the scenario that happened.
I took out 100, the ATM charges 2 bucks for a fee, ok no problem. $102 bucks..

I check my account, it is debited 102 and then ANOTHER separate 102.
It took it out twice.
I call the ATM company (My bank gave me their info)
The ATM company checked their records and confirm, I swiped once and only took the amount out once and that
banks double charge all the time. Their software, or intentional, I don't know.
edit on 10-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

So I went to a gas station, instead of using my debit at the pump, I decided to go in and get some cash.
I get my cash and then a day later noticed that there was a double charge. I call my bank, they say it is the ATM fault,
I call the ATM owner, they show me only swiping once and only taking it out once and say banks do it ALL THE TIME. (I believe the ATM company)
Is anyone else disturbed by this?

My bank is saying they have to take five business days to investigate & dispute (four days have already passed at this point).

It's not a big amount but I think i'm more peeved at the principal of the matter.
They can take money out in a hot red second, but to put it back in takes almost two weeks? Imagine if they did this to thousands and thousand of customers. Or someone in a dire situation. Again, my amount was little (100 bucks) but what if I took out a thousand bucks or something?

The whole incident is a good thing for me, a wake up call to be reminded to never have all your eggs in one basket!

BTW, those that say I should just go into a bank to get my $$$, my bank is not in the same state I am in. Something I need to change soon.

I use Credit Unions/debits. No fees, no dbl charges. No banks or the odd ATM w fees.*

*Unless vacationing or in dire straights....
edit on 10-12-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Wrong, This happened and it was with a Credit Union! (I mean that is who my bank is)
Yes I was getting money out of the Gas station ATM but supposedly the error is on the part of the Credit Union.

edit on 10-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Wrong, This happened and it was with a Credit Union!

Oh, lordy! You got ripped! Was is dbl the fee or the advance/withdraw amount?
Ok..I see above. Good luck with this nonsense n figure it out to not have it happen again.

edit on 10-12-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Well I am happy to report that my bank has refunded me the full amount of the double charge.
I really wonder if I did not call if it would have gotten credited or not.

Reminder to myself to check my account daily!

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I'm so glad you did get credited! I'm not real diligent in checking my own.

I will from now on! Thanks!

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Exact same thing happened to me twice at a gas station. I pulled out my weekly 100 rent and saw my bank had 2 fees and the atm had divided the 100 in to a 60 and 40 dollar transaction.

I'm furious. Usually I go to my bank but those 2 times I had to use atm. I got two 2.50 charges on one $100 pull.
Twice.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833

Exact same thing happened to me twice at a gas station. I pulled out my weekly 100 rent and saw my bank had 2 fees and the atm had divided the 100 in to a 60 and 40 dollar transaction.

I'm furious. Usually I go to my bank but those 2 times I had to use atm. I got two 2.50 charges on one $100 pull.
Twice.

That stinks! Make sure you fight it so you get your $$ back. The bank was all nonchalant until I spoke with the ATM owners, then they seemed to refund my money quickly after that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join