It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got double charged using an ATM - Banks suck

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
So I went to a gas station, instead of using my debit at the pump, I decided to go in and get some cash.
I get my cash and then a day later noticed that there was a double charge. I call my bank, they say it is the ATM fault,
I call the ATM owner, they show me only swiping once and only taking it out once and say banks do it ALL THE TIME. (I believe the ATM company)
Is anyone else disturbed by this?

My bank is saying they have to take five business days to investigate & dispute (four days have already passed at this point).

It's not a big amount but I think i'm more peeved at the principal of the matter.
They can take money out in a hot red second, but to put it back in takes almost two weeks? Imagine if they did this to thousands and thousand of customers. Or someone in a dire situation. Again, my amount was little (100 bucks) but what if I took out a thousand bucks or something?

The whole incident is a good thing for me, a wake up call to be reminded to never have all your eggs in one basket!

BTW, those that say I should just go into a bank to get my $$$, my bank is not in the same state I am in. Something I need to change soon.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

So I went to a gas station, instead of using my debit at the pump, I decided to go in and get some cash.
I get my cash and then a day later noticed that there was a double charge. I call my bank, they say it is the ATM fault,
I call the ATM owner, they show me only swiping once and only taking it out once and say banks do it ALL THE TIME. (I believe the ATM company)
Is anyone else disturbed by this?

My bank is saying they have to take five business days to investigate & dispute (four days have already passed at this point).

It's not a big amount but I think i'm more peeved at the principal of the matter.
They can take money out in a hot red second, but to put it back in takes almost two weeks? Imagine if they did this to thousands and thousand of customers. Or someone in a dire situation. Again, my amount was little (100 bucks) but what if I took out a thousand bucks or something?

The whole incident is a good thing for me, a wake up call to be reminded to never have all your eggs in one basket!

BTW, those that say I should just go into a bank to get my $$$, my bank is not in the same state I am in. Something I need to change soon.

I had an ATM fail to dispense money but it still debited my account. Called bank and they had it corrected after a few days. It takes time to investigate because people would try to pull all kinds of scams otherwise.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It takes time to investigate because people would try to pull all kinds of scams otherwise.

What do they need to investigate? It took me one minute to call the ATM company, and they could clearly see in their records what transpired. Literally five minutes total. I could understand if there was more to it, but if the ATM operator says I swiped once and took out once, what more is there?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I wonder ho many millions of times a day and ATM is used. And out of that a very tiny fraction of times the ATM (in this case, not even owned by the bank) screws up. Therefore banks suck.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I wonder ho many millions of times a day and ATM is used. And out of that a very tiny fraction of times the ATM (in this case, not even owned by the bank) screws up. Therefore banks suck.

This is what the ATM company told me:

I do believe this is a banking issue, and not an ATM error.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

It takes time to investigate because people would try to pull all kinds of scams otherwise.

What do they need to investigate? It took me one minute to call the ATM company, and they could clearly see in their records what transpired. Literally five minutes total. I could understand if there was more to it, but if the ATM operator says I swiped once and took out once, what more is there?

Because they are probably investigating several if not tens of thousands of complaints, calls every day. Yes, it may be an easy fix or thing to verify, but you assume that there is just one person sitting around with nothing else to do but investigate your claim.

Don't know what bank you use, but you'd probably get fast results a small community bank. I'd imagine calling say BofA or one of the megabanks would put you in a blackhole and take some time.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Technology is being used against us on a regular basis. The thing is only about sixty percent of people would even notice the OP's problem and if the amount was small only half of those people would follow through with getting their money back.

This ripping off of people is going on all over the place these days, it is not always skimmers, sometimes it is purposely defective software and if they get caught, they blame it on you somehow.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

It's not a megabank, and it is a small community bank/CU.

but you assume that there is just one person sitting around with nothing else to do but investigate your claim.

I don't assume, I know for a fact. The rep called me a couple of times today. I got the number of the ATM owner from her. It's all about being handcuffed by red tape. She has all the information but can't do anything because of "bank processes". That is the frustrating part.

I worked in IT for a MAJOR bank. I sat next to the mortgage department (constantly sleeping at their desks). I saw what they did day in an day out. I know a lot about the inner workings of a bank, and I will say it again, BANKS suck!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Technology is being used against us on a regular basis. The thing is only about sixty percent of people would even notice the OP's problem and if the amount was small only half of those people would follow through with getting their money back.

This ripping off of people is going on all over the place these days, it is not always skimmers, sometimes it is purposely defective software and if they get caught, they blame it on you somehow.

Yeah. It is the model of robbing a bunch of people for a small amount instead of one person for a lot.

The way I see companies screwing people over now is auto renew subscriptions....

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I'm amazed I caught it. The only reason I think I did because it looked odd on my online statement, two identical amounts right next to each other. I seriously thought about not disputing it because I didn't want to go through the hassle, but I notice that these types of things are starting to bother me more as I get older. It really does feel like we are getting screwed from every angle!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I worked for a bank for over fifteen years and can verify that they do indeed suck. I can’t tell you how many underhanded schemes they come up with to screw over the consumer and they especially target poorer people with less education.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I worked for a bank for over fifteen years and can verify that they do indeed suck. I can’t tell you how many underhanded schemes they come up with to screw over the consumer and they especially target poorer people with less education.

I believe it.
I'm not sure if you saw it, but I saw first hand how much money is wasted too. HUGE amounts of money.
Shocking amounts of money, and nobody cares. (at least the huge bank I worked at)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The logic defending the bank is funny.

They are so big and disorganized that you should just shut up and wait..

Really people? In a just world, the $ would be put back immediately then an investigation begins as to whether the claim is true...not the reverse.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Are you talking about being charged 2 atm fees or do you mean money was taken from your account twice?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
The logic defending the bank is funny.

They are so big and disorganized that you should just shut up and wait..

Really people? In a just world, the $ would be put back immediately then an investigation begins as to whether the claim is true...not the reverse.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I do agree there are scenarios that require heavy investigation, this is not one of them. This is a cut and dry as it gets.
One call or email from the ATM company could clearly show exactly what I took out that day.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Are you talking about being charged 2 atm fees or do you mean money was taken from your account twice?

Both,

withdrawl of money + the atm fee TWICE for both

It was as if I swiped two different transactions for the same amount.

The ATM company says they only show I did it one time for one amount, Bank is saying they show two different timestamps. Seven minutes apart.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Stop at Wally's and get a candy bar and 'cash back' then there's no charge, plus you can enjoy a candy bar.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Stop at Wally's and get a candy bar and 'cash back' then there's no charge, plus you can enjoy a candy bar.

I'd rather be charged double by my bank then have to go into our Walmart....

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It's not a megabank, and it is a small community bank/CU.

but you assume that there is just one person sitting around with nothing else to do but investigate your claim.

I don't assume, I know for a fact. The rep called me a couple of times today. I got the number of the ATM owner from her. It's all about being handcuffed by red tape. She has all the information but can't do anything because of "bank processes". That is the frustrating part.

I worked in IT for a MAJOR bank. I sat next to the mortgage department (constantly sleeping at their desks). I saw what they did day in an day out. I know a lot about the inner workings of a bank, and I will say it again, BANKS suck!

Yes, banks have processes and they have to be followed. I work in mortgage business. You wouldn't believe the amount of fraud we encounter on a daily basis.

I get the frustration and not defending the bank per se, but just recognize they have processes to deal with these types of issues. Fraudsters are very creative.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

That's odd alright.

If you use an atm machine that is not supported by your bank then your bank will charge a fee and the atm's bank will also charge a fee.

One way to avoid this is by going to a store like Walmart and buying a pack of gum or something else you need and getting cash back.
No fee that way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join