It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is JUST Rock?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Something that comes to mind from time to time. Defining Rock. The 50's had Rock and Roll. The 60's too many to name. Acid Rock being best known. The 70's continued. Southern Rock, et al and has continued to today. When I think of Rock I think tunes like :

Or:

At least to me but can't figure out what defines these tunes as just Rock. Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's the sort of music that promises a speeding ticket when driving the highways!

Free, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, 70s Queen, DC, GnR etc.

edit on 12.10.2018 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Drums, bass, electric guitar and vocals.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
....sometimes the Keys.

Oh it also. makes for a good soundtrack when executing a church massacre.

edit on 10-12-2018 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I saw them last summer with my son. He said that was his favorite song. Until then next one and so on...

Is it that it can't be pigeon holed?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Nice selections but tricky to define.

The BTO guitars have elements of funk and metal. Seger, the blues.

In the beginning, Rock and roll was a hybrid of country, blues, r & b and obviously took on numerous other influences.

"Rock" to me, because of my age, is the "Seattle" music of the 90s.

However it's dressed up, long live rock n' roll!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
"Rock" to me, because of my age, is the "Seattle" music of the 90s.

But that would be Grunge right?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Just Rock for my Generation

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think this, and the album it came from, is a good example of "just rock"

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It will always be "just rock" to me, marketing terminology notwithstanding.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I didn't know they were still going! It's funny how the hardcore guys from way back will outlive us all.

@ Autorico - The Foos are absolutely the essence of rock. Good call!

Motorhead nailed it too. 95% rock and 5% rock ballad.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Who knows who just rocked and rolled first but, Chuck Berry gets my vote.

And in the spirit of the season:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be safe to say that rock is an umbrella term. I think it's more than just the instruments used or the type of music played. It's either a lifestyle or an image the artists themselves put up. With artists currently branching out, experimenting, and incorporating different styles and sounds into their music they can express themselves in any manner of ways. It's unfortunate that artists have fans trying to pigeonhole them into a narrow category. It almost seems selfish of the fans to become upset they find out that an artist deviates from what the fan likes.

It's the artist being an artist, and the fanbase for whatever reason feels betrayed that the artist has grown in a different direction. It's not like you have to like everything an artist does. Just appreciate what they have done up to that point and respect them as their own person.

For instance I like the band Gorillaz. I really only like their self-titled album Gorillaz, Demon Days and some of their early singles. I don't care much about the newer stuff they've put out. The artists have deviated too far from the original formula, but I can still appreciate their artistic style.

To bring it back to the rock genre I still like a lot of the older stuff. But then, what is strictly blues, country, folk, bluegrass? Was Elvis strictly rock, or was he also blues, and even gospel? Johnny Cash? Don't forget about Rosetta Tharpe.
#, a lot of the old great rock artists and bands branched out and pulled inspiration from all kinds of places.

edit on 10-12-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: a huh huh huh

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have Children of the Grave on right now!

Man, it still sounds good all these years later.

I would say, an up tempo, catchy riff with a couple breaks to move things around (solo or bridge). The bass and drums are critical to rock and roll. Just listen how Geezer and Mr. Ward lock step as the guitarist screeches at the end of the song!

Everybody says guitar but I put my faith on the rhythm section! You can have a crappy guitarist or singer but if you can rock the beat that is half the battle!

I am sure I will have a different answer tomorrow when I have Cheryl Crow cranked!! lol!

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Oh yeah, Sabbath were crossover before it was a thing. 1969/70 they were rock n roll, heavy metal, blues rock and foreshadowing all those metal/thrash/death tropes by a decade. Sabbath are #ing awesome, but I'm stuck on their 70-75 period...

a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

Sweet avatar! The recent Gorillaz album is ok with 2-3 standouts and not much else. I guess rock is like what they say about art. 'Hard to define, but we know it when we see (hear) it.'

a reply to: Admitted

Nadine played live was getting close to real rock music instead of classic RnR. He started to go on extended jams with the rhythm section interspersed with little guitar noodly bits. I used to have a bunch on (hold your breath now) bootleg Spanish cassettes. This is closest I can find and it isn't it at all lol

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

i expected this thread to be some sort of " social justice " whine - railing against the alledge inequity and oppression of " rock injustice " meated out by bands down the age

it isnt real rock - unless someone is offended

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Tunes that you physically have to bop your head to... theres no choice!

yup

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Sweet avatar!

Thanks, I just found it on a Google Image search. You a fan of Scud?

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I always liked 38 Special - Chain Lightning

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealityIsAbsurd

Sweet avatar!

Thanks, I just found it on a Google Image search. You a fan of Scud?

Nope. Who, or what, is Scud?

On topic again, I was gonna post some Aerosmith and opted for The Oblivions instead. They're classed as garage rock, but they do ROCK and the album is half an hour of one blasting track after another.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join