It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit Meaningful Vote Postponed ... A Little Too Meaningful For Mrs May

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Mrs May has spent the last couple of weeks playing chicken with Parliament over the vote on her flawed Brexit deal with the EU , in the last few minutes May has blinked first and No 10 has let it be known the vote will be postponed in the face of certain defeat for May and her government.

Looks like this is the end for the "best and only deal possible" leaving the only options of renegotiation , a No deal Brexit or just plain No Brexit at all.

As the EU has no reason to renegotiate the options are slimmed to a No deal Brexit or No Brexit , Parliament won't sanction a No deal Brexit so No Brexit is looking more likely , especially as the ECJ has today said we can just revoke article 50 if we choose.... the dream is dying.

Theresa May will be making a statement later today , if she really has the country's best interests at heart she will stand aside but I doubt that is on the cards.
What a bloody mess.

The deal has been agreed with the EU - but it needs to be backed by the UK Parliament if the UK is to leave the EU on 29 March with plans in place for a future relationship and the rights of EU citizens in the UK - and UK citizens in the EU - guaranteed.

Mrs May has been trying to convince MPs to back her deal by suggesting the Northern Ireland backstop - the main item they object to - could be modified.

She has also been speaking to EU leaders about re-opening the withdrawal agreement, something both sides have previously ruled out.
It comes as the European Court of Justice ruled the UK can cancel Brexit without the permission of the other 27 EU members.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Strong and stable leadership.

What a joke.

edit on 10-12-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
And you don't think they planned it EXACTLY this way???

Of course they did!! Make the deal impossible, that's the strategy.

Brexit needs to be completely overhauled, and this overhaul needs to include May herself! F# the EU!

C'mon, UK, kick these people to the curb!
edit on 12/10/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
We need a hard brexit now and to not pay the EU £39billion!
TM has never had her heart in what the public voted for. She tried to deliver a compromise rather than fulfilling what was required. She needs to step down!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Maybe they saw France burn and thought "hey that's exciting! Let's have some of that here!"?
I keep thinking no deal Brexit is what will happen.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoEpic
We need a hard brexit now and to not pay the EU £39billion!
TM has never had her heart in what the public voted for. She tried to deliver a compromise rather than fulfilling what was required. She needs to step down!

The British government (most remainers) are quite happy to sit back and

do as the EU says. So it comes as no surprise that the EU is pulling the strings.

It looks very like a set up.

Two and a half years to get to here
NO WHERE.

Stalemate. NOT WHAT WE VOTED FOR

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I'm betting the whole thing will be cancelled as I read earlier that article 50 states the vote can be overturned which the media are pushing, so i'd say it's going to be overturned and cancelled, there will be no brexit and the whole process has been a huge waste of time. We will be back in the hands of Brussels and Germany on border patrol and those Migrants/illegals will continue trying to get to Britain via Paris.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Maybe they saw France burn and thought "hey that's exciting! Let's have some of that here!"?

Keep thinking..... because the way I'm feeling at the moment......

Bring on the *Yellow Vests* I'll wear one with pride.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SoEpic

SCREW the EU!!

They're not entitled to JACK! All the EU has done is ride the coattails of the UK since the inception of the EU.

Tell 'em to SUCK EGGS!! Now would be a good time to do it too! The US has your back, at least for another 2 years. If the US puts someone like Hillary in the big chair you'll be doomed for another 4 years minimally.

Time is of the essence!

May stepping down voluntarily is not the half of it, the UK needs to force/demand her to step down!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think she's on their payroll, and probably not the only one.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I'd BET on it!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'm betting the whole thing will be cancelled as I read earlier that article 50 states the vote can be overturned which the media are pushing, so i'd say it's going to be overturned and cancelled, there will be no brexit and the whole process has been a huge waste of time. We will be back in the hands of Brussels and Germany on border patrol and those Migrants/illegals will continue trying to get to Britain via Paris.

I have lived through 14 U.K. Prime Ministers. I have never witnessed such an inept PM as the current incumbent.

I have never been a part of a mass demonstration against any of those Prime Ministers. However, if Brexit is cancelled i and many others will be on the street.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Nobody wants that but with a betrayal of this scale it could be on the cards , I feel the chances of a second referendum have just increased.

I'd be happy for that to happen because we would be genuinely free , it wouldn't be the easy way to go but nothing good is ever easy.
Parliament won't allow a No deal Brexit , so it's a choice of either a cobbled together deal or No Brexit.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

For my own edification, what is the difference between "No deal Brexit" and "No Brexit"?

I understand what "No Brexit" is, but I guess I don't understand what "No deal Brexit" is.

ETA - Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I don't know the answer.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

For my own edification, what is the difference between "No deal Brexit" and "No Brexit"?

A No deal Brexit means we will leave the EU with no trade agreement with the EU , we will trade under World Trade Organization rules.

No Brexit is simply that , we will remain as we are within the EU , It will be like the Brexit vote never happened.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I'd be happy for that to happen because we would be genuinely free , it wouldn't be the easy way to go but nothing good is ever easy.

With you there

Short term pain for long term gain......bring it on

But I feel we have been sold out.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

So, why wouldn't 'no deal Brexit' be the most desirable outcome?

Seems to me that is the best way.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

So, why wouldn't 'no deal Brexit' be the most desirable outcome?

A No deal Brexit is more complicated , we'd have no fixed trade agreements with Europe plus there's the problem of the right to stay for Europeans living here and Brits living over there , there's the Northern Ireland border with EU member Southern Ireland issue , nobody wants a hard border between the two as it would slow trade to the UK.

Personally I feel a No deal Brexit is looking like the only real option , the problems can be ironed out but there is the chance it would be detrimental to our economy in the short term.

Our politicians are weak-kneed , the Churchill spirit is a thing of the past.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I can only think this was the plan all along.

Surely no-one who has survived in national politics as long as May has can be as incompetent as she appears to be.

When Cameron showed his true colours and ran away like the two faced coward he is May was prepared to step up to the plate.
No-one under such circumstances was going to have an easy ride - she was literally handed a poisoned chalice.

But she did nothing for one whole year.
The country was completely rudderless - no legislation was passed in parliament and no plan for UK negotiations with the EU was drafted.....a whole year of absolutely nothing.

Obviously this gifted the EU the upper hand in negotiations.

Why did May do this?

We all know she is a Remainer.....as are most of the leeches in Westminster of all political persuasions.
So surely its fair to assume this was all by design.

Then we eventually get this pitiful excuse of a deal that satisfies absolutely no-one.
Acceptance of this deal is impossible.

So what next?

For me I'd say it has to be No Deal.

March 29th 2019 we leave the EU.....no deal, no £39 billion....nothing.

Now if the EU decide they want to carry on negotiations in the mean time fair do's.....but we appoint a cross party think tank of people who are willing to set aside party politics and put the interests and well being of the British people first and foremost.

May and her ilk need to be consigned to the pages of history books and those that replace them need to be aware that they will go the same way if they too let the British people down.

But none of this is likely to happen.

No Brexit is the likely outcome.

If so we need to let the political elites know where the real power in this country lies!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Most of the EU hate the British.
But they love our money..

Even though Maggie was a C.
She had balls.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

If you are not a British citizen you dont get a vote. Many of the government

are in favour of remaining. So they drag out at every opportunity Mark Carney

the Canadian (not British) governor of the bank of England to predict

starvation, hell and damnation, earth quakes, and the end of the UK.

That terrifies some into voting to remain shackled to the EU.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join