It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am starting a blog with my daughter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I was originally going at it myself but she wanted it so I allowed it. The blog is going to be about learning computer programming and expanding our knowledge of computers.

She is going to start with general computer science stuff before getting too in depth.

I will be starting with Javascript and see where that takes me.

The motivation behind this isn't money it's about learning a new skill and teaching my daughter how to create websites and programming. I currently work for a SAAS company and I have often wondered how everything works behind the curtain. Also learning Websites and API integrations can help a lot.

I have seen a lot of blogs out there about learning programming and I think there are some really great things one can do with programming knowledge.

I know Udemy and Codecadamy have some great free resources.

Anyone from ATS have any tips or anything about blogging or programming?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
I was originally going at it myself but she wanted it so I allowed it. The blog is going to be about learning computer programming and expanding our knowledge of computers.

She is going to start with general computer science stuff before getting too in depth.

The motivation behind this isn't money it's about learning a new skill and teaching my daughter how to create websites and programming. I currently work for a SAAS company and I have often wondered how everything works behind the curtain. Also learning Websites and API integrations can help a lot.

I have seen a lot of blogs out there about learning programming and I think there are some really great things one can do with programming knowledge.

I'm currently going through college in the computer science area, i also have previous experience from 4 years or so

I feel like Javascript may not be the right one, maybe try Swift for iOS, or Java for Android

Also c# allows to write apps for ios and android and windows/mac too, c# is even easier by several ways than Javascript, as a first language and is fun in several ways too

I don't know much about Javascript or web apps to be honest, but the little i learned i did not like, Javascript is very hellish compared to things like c# or Typescript

I like computer programming by the way, if you had not noticed yet lmfao

I have spent a lot of time in the past years since i started going to a few bootcamps for ios and android app development, i had a friend who was already working on apps and he showed me what he did and i was hooked, so i started learning even since starting high school, it is lots of fun.

How cool you get to do this with your daughter, lots of fun will be had

I would start with c# for sure, then swift/java for mobile apps

just my opinion though, there may be better reasons to start with Javascript but i feel like the other languages open more doors and once you have them figured out you pick up things like Javascript/web apps a lot faster than the other way around
edit on 9-12-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

What do you do, generally speaking, for a SaaS company if you do not aready code, and why would you want to drive yourself insane?

I feel like starting with _javascript is putting the cart before the horse. I would start with installing and configuring a webserver. Installing a database server. Creating tables. Understanding datatypes. Type casting. Html5 basics. Css. Javascript. Php. Ajax. JWT.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

Javascript is easy. Jquery makes it easier. Javascript is based on ECMAscript and there are several implementations out there, some of which i find to be more difficult than others; e.g. rhino, which is probably why you find it hellish if you used _javascript built on java. C# is great, but since i just read yesterday you can inline-code with raw C, i think it will be a game changer.
edit on 9-12-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Javascript is easy. Jquery makes it easier. Javascript is based on ECMAscript and there are several implementations out there, some of which i find to be more difficult than others; e.g. rhino, which is probably why you find it hellish if you used _javascript built on java. C# is great, but since i just read yesterday you can inline-code with raw C, i think it will be a game changer.

Inline raw c code in between c# code?

How does that make it better? I thought it was the other way around lol

I learned objective-c at the first iOS bootcamp i attended when i was 14, almost 4 years ago or so, i thought the entire reason to have a language like c# was to go away from the c/objective-c way to handle things lime memory management, Swift is supposed to be doing the same as c# for mac apps, right?

I don't get how 'inline raw c' does for real, doesn't make sense

Are you trolling me?

Anyways, i learned _javascript as part of web apps but i don't feel the same way as for c#, it is way easier to control and figure out what is going on with c# and other languages than it is with _javascript, i don't know much about the ECMAscript stuff but i know both c# and Javascript came out of it, i just think c# is better to being learning about programming

My first language was objective-c and maybe that's why i don't get Javascript much, maybe that's the problem lol but i don't know much otherwise,

I'm just 3 months into college so i guess i can't talk like i know it all, so if i'm sounding like an idiot please tell me sooooo

Please respect my intelligence, i'm not dumb, i don't even know why you go and try to do things like that, this thread is about a completely different thing so please let's not go into dumb stuff just to cause arguments and all the dumb stuff that follows

I don't even get it but i'm going to just not go this road once again, do whatever you want, i told what i know by personal experience, that's all

Bye

edit on 10-12-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I will see how it evolves before i speak too much on the topic. If it evolves to a state where it becomes easier to compile php extensions i think it would be huge -- its been a pita to compile extensions for me since php 7.0.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
It's an interesting idea, I'm going to follow your blog, interested in computers and computer programming! Good luck guys

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Before going into any specific language its probably worth doing a bit on all the 'boring' stuff like logic/data types/loops etc in a more human way as a simple program of asking for a number then loop that many times adding the new number to the current one and then printing it out along with the average is easy to code in pretty much any language but what happens if the number is negative or zero or even just a bunch of characters.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I tend to agree with Maxatoria (above); it would be good to start with a series of pieces on sequential thinking and logic. Until people understand the "why?" element they can't really begin to grasp the "how?" element.

I will always recall my very first programming class way back in the 70's. Everyone was eager to start punching away on the keyboards of the 3270 terminals, but instead the instructor quietly walked around the room and handed each student a wooden pencil and a sheet of paper. He then said we were all going to learn about computers. The whole class looked around at each other, like WTH? The next words out of his mouth were words I remember to this day...

"I want you all to write down, in sequential order, the steps it takes to change a flat tire on a car. BUT, before you start, I will tell you with 100% certainty; every one of you will FAIL this exercise!"

Ah, a challenge!

To make a long story short, he was right. And having changed many, many, tires in my life up to that point I was sure there was no way I could fail this easy exercise, but I did (just like everyone else). Just that one sentence has echoed through my life in so many ways I can't even begin to describe them all.

ETA - BTW, I would love, love, LOVE to learn about API interfaces, especially now!!!
edit on 12/10/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Are you going to start a "blog" or a "vlog"?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

This is absolutely correct.. Program logic and design was a pre-req at college. There is a lot to consider before you lay down some code.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I tend to agree with Maxatoria (above); it would be good to start with a series of pieces on sequential thinking and logic. Until people understand the "why?" element they can't really begin to grasp the "how?" element.

I will always recall my very first programming class way back in the 70's. Everyone was eager to start punching away on the keyboards of the 3270 terminals, but instead the instructor quietly walked around the room and handed each student a wooden pencil and a sheet of paper. He then said we were all going to learn about computers. The whole class looked around at each other, like WTH? The next words out of his mouth were words I remember to this day...

"I want you all to write down, in sequential order, the steps it takes to change a flat tire on a car. BUT, before you start, I will tell you with 100% certainty; every one of you will FAIL this exercise!"

Ah, a challenge!

To make a long story short, he was right. And having changed many, many, tires in my life up to that point I was sure there was no way I could fail this easy exercise, but I did (just like everyone else). Just that one sentence has echoed through my life in so many ways I can't even begin to describe them all.

ETA - BTW, I would love, love, LOVE to learn about API interfaces, especially now!!!

It's going to be a blog. I am not really comfortable yet with showing my beauty to the world lol.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Thanks for the input. I was thinking Java first because that is a language that a lot of programs use. But I am totally open to suggestions.

I see mobile apps as the future of the computer world. Desktops are becoming fewer and fewer in households so being able to develop mobile apps I think would be really cool and would reach a huge audience.

I really like android operating systems so I will want to start there.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Go to GOOGLE BLOGGER...you don't need to know or do anything special....they provide template...just fill in the spots

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

What do you do, generally speaking, for a SaaS company if you do not aready code, and why would you want to drive yourself insane?

I am a regional account manager for my company. So I am customer facing which is just as insane as programming. Only people are getting worse and software is getting better. LOL

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I have found that in every field of study, one thing stands out. They all have their own complex terminology. So just keep it simple and in common words and every one will benefit from it, even someone as simple as me.

I wish you the best of success with the blog.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
have a nice day.

top topics

join