It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISRO, NASA spot black hole spinning so fast it could be making space rotate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker
a reply to: Elton

Could it be CERN's fault?

Im a stupid welder but my bull you know what meter works when it should. We do not have any effect on space. We are smaller then the tip of a hair in the cosmic scale.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff

originally posted by: 3n19m470
So maybe stars were spread out somewhat evenly until stellar masses collided/combined and grew until they reached black hole status, then the black holes started sucking everything down its drain, creating galaxies and also vast empty spaces between galaxies. Imagine a universe before galaxies.

Lots of very hot gas ?

Before galaxies, after stars.

Lots of stars, spread out.

It could have happened that way. Just imagine, was all I was saying.
edit on 12/11/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

Could it be CERN's fault?

Im a stupid welder but my bull you know what meter works when it should. We do not have any effect on space. We are smaller then the tip of a hair in the cosmic scale.

Thank you! Some jackass doctor tried telling me I got sick because of a microscopic organism called a "virus".

That thing cant effect me! It's smaller than the tip of a hair, on a literal scale!

However, welding requires a lot of skill... I would not consider a welder to be "stupid". At least, not a good one...

Hmmm... now I'm starting to think maybe I should reconsider trusting you on that whole "tiny things can't effect big things" theory of yours...

But yeah I'm pretty sure CERN didn't cause this. After all, someone said we have only measured a handful of black hole spin rates so this may not be an uncommon thing and I highly doubt it is a "new" thing. It's just new to us.
edit on 12/11/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

If we ever achieve interstellar travel that thing would make one hell of a slighshot.

Maybe two binary pulsars collided? who knows-I'm taking Douglas Adams' agnostic point of view and say the answer is 42.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Maybe two binary pulsars collided? who knows-I'm taking Douglas Adams' agnostic point of view and say the answer is 42.

That's the question I'm wondering also: what could cause it to spin that fast?

The momentum has got to come from somewhere, right?

And this thing is only 10 solar masses? Absorbing matter that was already moving fast doesn't make much sense, then, unless each and every particle was moving very fast individually. To get going that fast by absorbing slower moving matter, I would think you would need to absorb a lot of it.

Also interesting the second article points out this black hole is in our own galaxy. And only 19 others have ever been found in our galaxy. (Which tells me black holes like this one might be reasonably common throughout the universe, but not easy to spot from far away.)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

The momentum has got to come from somewhere, right?

Angular momentum is maintained. When a skater pulls their arms in they spin faster. When a rotating star collapses, it spins faster.

edit on 12/12/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join