It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is a light that never goes out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
There is a light that never goes out - not to be confused with The Smiths song by the same name, but then again...
maybe we all know this deep down.

Like some will tell you, the constancy is the thing. Nothing else shows the truth like what never changes, never fails. Not once, not ever.

Some call it Now.

Some call it Lord.

Some call it God.

Some call it Allah.

Some call it Light.

Some call it Void.

There are many other names but it just cracks me up you can find it anywhere, even in the mouth of Morrissey.

Find it and every day is like Sunday.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You don't know me, but I needed to hear this. My dad just died last Wednesday and tonight is the first night after everyone has gone home. The house is quiet, the mess and evidence of them all being here with me remains scattered through my house, the activity that kept me busy enough that my mind has no time to dwell on my own heartache has come to a standstill, even my own kids are gone tonight, and for once it feels empty. My dad used to talk about constancy and how important it was to remain constant in who we were so the people in our lives knew they could always count on us. To follow what was right, a standard set by the consistency of God. Ugh, I don't know..I hardly even know what I'm saying most days. Still your post reminds me of something Dad would have said.

I wandered to the living room and couldn't walk in, it felt so dark and empty. Instead I walked back to my room and found it felt just as dark and just as empty. I search for that light to no avail. But tomorrow is Sunday I suppose.
edit on 9-12-2018 by MaMaa because: Typo

edit on 9-12-2018 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2018 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MaMaa

That's nice what you said about your Dad. I went through that not too long ago myself and you capture the feeling of it well.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I call the light the mind

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I call the light the mind

That works for me too. I think brain is seen within the mind, not the other way around.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaMaa
You don't know me, but I needed to hear this. My dad just died last Wednesday and tonight is the first night after everyone has gone home. The house is quiet, the mess and evidence of them all being here with me remains scattered through my house, the activity that kept me busy enough that my mind has no time to dwell on my own heartache has come to a standstill, even my own kids are gone tonight, and for once it feels empty. My dad used to talk about constancy and how important it was to remain constant in who we were so the people in our lives knew they could always count on us. To follow what was right, a standard set by the consistency of God. Ugh, I don't know..I hardly even know what I'm saying most days. Still your post reminds me of something Dad would have said.

I wandered to the living room and couldn't walk in, it felt so dark and empty. Instead I walked back to my room and found it felt just as dark and just as empty. I search for that light to no avail. But tomorrow is Sunday I suppose.

This is beautifully poetic because it comes raw from your heart. I'm so sorry for your sadness. I believe your father's light can never die, and has rejoined The Light. There are echos of him all around, because we leave traces of ourselves in people we love.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: yughii

What is the IT that decides NOW is the time for radioactive decay?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MaMaa

I'm unsure of what to say, but I felt I had to say something.

I can't imagine how it must feel to lose your Father, just know that even though we've never met and never will, I'm sending you my best wishes and virtual hugs,

Chin-up,

💚

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

So i'm thinking this is some sort of koan, right? You juxtapose the unlimited (IT and NOW) with a temporal concept like the rate of radioactive decay and the impossible contradiction makes something pop. I'm probably just too lazy or stubborn mentally because this style doesn't work for me.

I like this way better:

In compassion justice and peace kiss.
We have to run into peace, we do not begin in peace.
What is born of God seeks peace and runs into peace.
The person who runs and runs, continually running towards peace, is a heavenly person.
Even the heavens are continually running and in their running are seeking peace.

From Meditations with Meister Eckart by Matthew Fox.

I like it because as you get up to speed the momentum makes things easier.

edit on 9-12-2018 by yughii because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Ok i focused on that statement. There's definitely something to it. Deep peace, a release of tension in the middle of me, like the release of a binding, freeing.

A quick flash of the impossibility of there being an IT, a NOW, and me. The result being that I am IT. Only a glimpse.

I'm not converting to the NOW'ster way, just saying its legit.

edit on 11-12-2018 by yughii because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Light: Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2

The Hebrew term ʼohr and the Greek term phos refer to that which emanates from a light-giving body such as a lamp (Jer 25:10) or the sun, as well as to the opposite of darkness, literally and figuratively. (Isa 5:20; Joh 11:10, 11) It is generally believed that light consists of energy particles that have wave properties. To this day, however, man still cannot give a complete answer to the question propounded over three millenniums ago by the Creator of light: “Where, now, is the way by which the light distributes itself?”​—Job 38:24.

So physicists are going with the description "wave-particle duality" for now and admit to things such as this:

Isaiah 2:5

5 O house of Jacob, come,

Let us walk in the light of Jehovah.

Jehovah is “the Father of the celestial lights.” (Jas 1:17) ... but he is also the Source of all spiritual enlightenment. (2Co 4:6) His law, judicial decisions, and word are a light to those allowing themselves to be guided by them. (Ps 43:3; 119:105; Pr 6:23; Isa 51:4) The psalmist declared: “By light from you we can see light.” (Ps 36:9; compare Ps 27:1; 43:3.) ... To follow the course that Jehovah outlines is to walk in his light. (Isa 2:3-5) On the other hand, when a person looks at things in an impure way or with evil design, he is in great spiritual darkness. As Jesus put it: “If your eye is wicked, your whole body will be dark. If in reality the light that is in you is darkness, how great that darkness is!”​—Mt 6:23; compare De 15:9; 28:54-57; Pr 28:22; 2Pe 2:14.
Other Figurative Uses. The Scriptures contain many figurative references to light. ... Morning light is picturesquely described as ‘taking hold of the ends of the earth and shaking the wicked out of it,’ because dawn disperses evildoers. Darkness is their “light,” for they are accustomed to carrying out their evil deeds under its cover, and this figurative “light” is taken from them by the literal light of dawn.​—Job 38:12-15; compare Job 24:15-17.

Another figurative use can be found for example at Ephesians 5:6-17:

6 Let no man deceive you with empty words, for because of such things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore, do not be sharers with them; 8 for you were once darkness, but you are now light in connection with the Lord. Go on walking as children of light, 9 for the fruitage of the light consists of every sort of goodness and righteousness and truth.
10 Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord; 11 and stop sharing in the unfruitful works that belong to the darkness; rather, expose them for what they are. 12 For the things they do in secret are shameful even to mention. 13 Now all the things that are being exposed* [Or “reproved.”] are made evident by the light, for everything that is being made evident is light. 14 Therefore, it is said: “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and the Christ will shine upon you.”

15 So keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, 16 making the best use of your time,* [Lit., “buying out the appointed time.”] because the days are wicked. 17 On this account stop being unreasonable, but keep perceiving what the will of Jehovah is.

edit on 12-12-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join