It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: EU considers black boxes for cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The European Union is looking into the feasibility of installing aircraft style "black boxes" in cars and trucks. The aim according to them is to help improve road place safety. The box would allow investigators to see how fast the car was going and other factors prior to impact.

news.bbc.co.uk
Black box data recorders could be installed in new cars as standard if a Europe-wide study gives them backing.

Police forces across the continent are looking at whether the aircraft-style technology could improve road safety.

The European Commission will use their research to decide if the devices could help in accident investigations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How many people think this is a good idea? If you do your nuts. The ability to abuse this is staggering and its only a matter of time to see the insurance companies clamoring for access to this type of data as well. However what people in the US do not know is that its already in place over here. Ford products record the last second or two prior to an impact. Why? to see how thier airbags perform in collisions.You can only simulate so much and need real word data to perfect the models. Now lawyers are getting thier hands on this in various lawsuits and the like.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

How many people think this is a good idea? If you do your nuts. The ability to abuse this is staggering and its only a matter of time to see the insurance companies clamoring for access to this type of data as well.
(Truncated Quote)

Hey Fred T. Sorry mate I'm gonna have to disagree with you, I thoroughly believe this to be a really good idea.

What is the greater attack on personal freedom than the removal of your life due to some a$$hole who drives: too fast, erratically (as I have suffered by sooo many elderly people around where i live), deliberately dangerously (as I have suffered injury from), without due care and attention for road/weather conditions, or of course as does happen, with deliberate intention to maim or kill other road users, pedestrians or themselves.

The car is here to stay, regardless of the hippie idealists out there who all think we should walk or cycle everywhere (you try getting your home treadmill delivered back to your house from the depot 90 miles away), so there should be limitations on who can and cannot drive and there should be some form of controls in place. I thoroughly believe that black boxes for cars are a great idea, and I would be willing to have one fitted immediately. As for insurance companies, if it penalises crap drivers with financial or points penalties and rewards good one's with lower premiums...i'm all 4 it

Peace out.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The European Union is looking into the feasibility of installing aircraft style "black boxes" in cars and trucks.

How many people think this is a good idea?

Good idea or not; it is to late now, they were already approved in the US and are actually in use.

Black boxes (search), or "EDRs" have been fitted into every General Motors car in its 2004 line and is in a number of Ford models — about 15 percent of all vehicles on the road today, according to road safety experts.
Fox News

join