It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube video speeds - why do they all (vlogger's) talk so slow?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It seems that most of the video's I watch on Youtube where it is "original content" , usually someone talking about some specific topic usually putting in some pics or video's with the poster's commentary over top of it - it feels like they are talking in slow motion. I usually watch the videos at 1.5 or 2x speed and that seems like a normal rate of talking. Do these posters actually talk this slow or do they slow down the video's before they post - either to make the video longer (more ads per view maybe?) or to slow the information down so people can absorb it better? Another way to look at it is that it eats up (wastes) more time of the viewer which keeps them from possibly viewing more/better/real information.

Even normal broadcast TV I often watch at increased speed from 1.1 - 1.25x and I've seemed get used to listening that way. I tried to watch Shapiro (Ben) and he is one of the only one's I don't need to speed up, lol.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Both, not for more ads necessarily, but longer viewing time is part of the new Youtube equation to keep monetized.

digiday.com...
Creators are making longer videos to cater to the YouTube algorithm

edit on 8-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Vloggers... the most boring videos on the internet..

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Youtube used to be really amazing, they are pretty much killing it with the new "rules".

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: blueman12

Youtube used to be really amazing, they are pretty much killing it with the new "rules".

It went from cutting edge New Media to stifling Dinosaur Media in one merger flat.

Sure signs Google was a Ruling Elitist fashioned creature from the start.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Vloggers... the most boring videos on the internet..

IDK if I used the correct term. I watch people who do their own news casts, talk about specific subject matter (science, tech, health, cars,etc). Are those people vloggers or something else?

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
As a radio operator (GMDSS), when we are trained to talk over the air, we are taught to speak much slower than usual so as to ensure articulation and emphasis of every word. Not only that, but we are also taught to **say different words to push this articulation.

Communication is a 2-way thing and if you are a YT blogger then what your audience hears and understands is of great importance to the success of your channel (I would assume). If your audience is having to stop, rewind and listen closely and still get the wrong message then you have failed and should get out of the 'I communicate for a living' game unless you can address it to everyones satisfaction. I'm sure that YT video editor has a tutorial on the correct speed to speak.

If you heard me at the pub blabbering on in my usual weird-assed aussie accent, you would have difficulty keeping up with the convo due to all those little nuances we all are subjected to.

**For instance, relaying something as simple as '565', I as a radio operator would say 'fife, sixer, fife' - this might sound strange but at the receiving end, there is no doubt as to the message I'm wanting to convey.

The phonetic alphabet is to be spoken at a significantly slower speed when conversing over the air, AND repeated 3 times.
edit on 8/12/2018 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I'm sure what you said is very true, but Youtubers are doing it a lot more for revenue/algorithm now.
So your normal Joe Schmoe that used to have a channel on garlic farming is now talking slllllllllloow and the videos are drawn out in a way that is not natural.
It is really annoying.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally understand the issue here and almost always speed up the audio to 1.5 when listening to podcasts etc and yes, it is really frustrating that this has to occur just so I can listen at a pace I'm comfortable with. The long pauses between comments, the fumbling over words and irrelevant banter is something I've gotten used to over the years. I understand about YTs revenue stream via Adsense and that they keep changing the dynamic such that s/he who gets their audience to stay watching for 10mins or more get the most money.

Maybe thats why I love PRIMATIVE TECHNOLOGY so much - 8.5M subscribers and still he has never ever said one single word in any of his videos which always make it to top 5 trending every single time.

Genius.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Speed of speech doesn't usually bother me, but some accent types drive me insane.

There is one on YT that my kids liked back around Halloween for "scary" stories, maybe 20-something years old or so. Hell if I can remember the guy's name, but you might get the gist from the following:

"I souuund like a verrry annoying douchcanoooooe doing a very baaaad Valleyyyyy Boiiiii accennnnnt. It's exaggerated and highly irritaaaaating. I make people want to gouge their eardrums ouuuuut with rusty nailllllls. And I speak in almost total monotonnnne."

I can't figure out if it's just the way he talks, or if there's a reason for it, but he drives me up the goddamn wall.

Edit: And it's not PC (tough crap) but it's also almost a feigned "gay" lilt to it, too.
edit on 12/8/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

It's sad but I think I know which one you're talking about. I went on a scary/creepy video binge one day and the way the guy talks and enunciates all the wrong vowels drove me up the friggin' wall. Now I'm stuck here trying to find the guy so I can see if we're talking about the same irritating person. I guess he wins this round, cause I'm still looking, heh.

ETA: Literally the next click I find him! This fothermucker right here (screw it can't remember how to embed) www.youtube.com...

edit on 8-12-2018 by AM10101 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2018 by AM10101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AM10101

Lol Ive heard that voice aswell.
Its super annoying

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
smesh like
be shuuuur to subscraib

mah patreon below

check out my mersh

fellew me on 3 other platfermz

oh liveleak, we meet again.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think its because to monetise a video it needs to be at least 10 min long, if you talk at half pace then you only need to make a 5 min vid.
Considering alot of the "professional" youtubers put out multiple vids per day it probably makes it easier if they drawl/drag out each one as much as possible, I imagine it would be hard to come up with 15 min of new and interesting footage for 3 vids day after day year after year let alone to come up with 30 min
edit on 9/12/2018 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Is that you lyserg.....

Me .....Bandit1200 ??? from liveleak

Amazing if it was..
edit on 9-12-2018 by Quadlink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I noticed the trend of longer videos on U-Toob a while back and wondered why it was. Now I understand, thanks to JAG. I figured it must have been something like that.

If you ever have the chance to read the book "How to make videos that don't suck"...you will quickly see that Poo-Toob's video policies drive everyone in the direction of making videos that SUCK! Why? Because: advertising.

Advertising ruins everything, and it's evil. Just TRY, just one time, to remove advertising from your life for a single 24 hour period. It's impossible! Advertising is the plague of the modern era! It's everywhere you go, every bench, every bus, on the roadsides, on the interwebz (until you gag), etc. You can't even watch a video with no advertisements...there's product placement all over the place. Unless you live in a cave, underground, with no media and no outside world access, and you eat food you've harvested yourself...you simply cannot avoid advertisements. You can't.

I hate Poo-Toob now, and I refuse to watch videos over 2 minutes. I will intentionally back out just to keep them from fully downloading even. I will NOT support that. 15 minutes of crap BS filler just to say 2 minutes of the entire point. That's BS, and I don't have time for it. So, I simply don't support it. Poo-Toobers would starve to death on my "view time", as they should.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AM10101

It's sad but I think I know which one you're talking about. I went on a scary/creepy video binge one day and the way the guy talks and enunciates all the wrong vowels drove me up the friggin' wall. Now I'm stuck here trying to find the guy so I can see if we're talking about the same irritating person. I guess he wins this round, cause I'm still looking, heh.

ETA: Literally the next click I find him! This fothermucker right here (screw it can't remember how to embed) www.youtube.com...

YES, that asshat! OMG, he is nails on a chalkboard to my ears & I want to take up boxing. On his throat. Holy ish, I can't stand the way he talks.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: AM10101

YES, that asshat! OMG, he is nails on a chalkboard to my ears & I want to take up boxing. On his throat. Holy ish, I can't stand the way he talks.

lmao that guy, ... I am not american, so i thought, maybe that's a regional accent? it is extremely annoying, his channels are chills and Top15s, i like the weird stuff and most of the content, but damn that voice!

top topics

join