It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the Space Shuttle be Un-Mothballed and Modified for Mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
edit on 9-12-2018 by I8THATAPPLEFRITTER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:06 AM
link   
edit on 9-12-2018 by I8THATAPPLEFRITTER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: I8THATAPPLEFRITTER
a reply to: I8THATAPPLEFRITTER

Should of just done the calculations

www.youtube.com...

You hear all this garbage about Mars, and it Sounds possible till you actually look at the numbers

Somebody might figure out how to get there someday

We can get there now and return its just messy to do so. What i mean is we have to use gravity boosts to do it instead of just using a rocket to launch us to mars. What is done is called a Hohmann Transfer Orbit, or Minimum Energy Transfer Orbit you arent trying to go directly to mars. You are trying to go to a spot where mars will be. This is why it takes 9 months are rocket ship needs to get into mars orbit and wait for mars to arrive.

To get back to earth it simply decreases its orbital velocity around the sun. So its the speed that determines how far an object will orbit from the sun. Works the same in earths orbit the faster the speed the higher the craft is in orbit. So how can you get that speed well you can use the earths and moons gravity to help you. By doing that you save on fuel.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   

The concept is absurd as suggesting that you could tie hundreds of birds to a Roman Galleon and travel to the Sun.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I guess technically it would be easy enough to tie a few hundred birds to a reproduction of a galley. Manufacturing a space-capable carrier to take the whole shebang to the Sun would be the tricky part.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I guess technically it would be easy enough to tie a few hundred birds to a reproduction of a galley. Manufacturing a space-capable carrier to take the whole shebang to the Sun would be the tricky part.

You'd have to go at night, but birds sleep at night so you could never get past the last distance.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

You'd have to go at night, but birds sleep at night so you could never get past the last distance.

Ahhh. You didn't specify live birds!

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The truth is they Don't want to!
the Saturn 5 (the biggest ever) send men to the moon and back.
rockets to day can not do this.

The Saturn 5 never blows up.
yet they had to start from scratch building rockets???

The space shuttle ONLY blows up when they have built in space what they need??
they do not want to go to mars or the moon.
just wait for the excuses why they can Not go!

they made a very bad move faking the moon landings.
I did believe in it. but now.
it is impossible to get to the moon?????

Look at the videos of woman in space!
they jell the hair in places. its rock soiled.
hair MOVES in gas or liquid.
it dose Not Spring back into the same places!

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The Shuttle has always only been designed to get to low-earth orbit. And it has a huge payload bay, which will be kinda useless for a mission to Mars. The Shuttle can only land like a glider, and has to use a runway. No runways on Mars I'm afraid. Besides, the very tenuous atmosphere wouldn't support the Shuttle's wings, so it will just drop like a brick.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Ahhh. You didn't specify live birds!

Flying to sun powered by birds is like self crucifixion - there is no way to hammer in the last nail.

edit on 9/12/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Look at the videos of woman in space! they jell the hair in places. its rock soiled. hair MOVES in gas or liquid. it dose Not Spring back into the same places!

I'd like to say that's the daftest belief I've seen today, but the day's early.

Is this the video you mean?

Have you considered that every decent university in the world has a science department? Many of them are invested in space technology and have research teams working together internationally. The 200+ ISS visitors have come from universities and will have dozens of colleagues, family and friends. There are aerospace companies as well as smaller scale manufacturers producing bespoke tech for space technology.

Out of all of that, all the thousands involved in space tech and exploration, you still think they're all actors in a global hoax? Even existential enemies like Cold War Soviets and Americans colluded in a hoax and continue to perpetuate it?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

That is a very good question for inquiring minds.
Could it be done....yes
But the cost of refurbishment would cost just much as making a craft that could land on the surface. The fuel pods would have to expand into part of the cargo bay. Which would be fine. And as stated the bay would need some work to accommodate the pods and living space. The design of the interior would be greatly increased thanks to modern tech. Which that whole process would cost an untold amount of money. And as you said just leaving the craft in orbit instead of ever attempting to land on either planet could leave room for other need tech.

Your proposed idea would be cool to see but I would rather see something much more cost affective. Still though good question.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

no - just NO

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

The truth is they Don't want to!
the Saturn 5 (the biggest ever) send men to the moon and back.
rockets to day can not do this.

The Saturn 5 never blows up.
yet they had to start from scratch building rockets???

Look at the videos of woman in space!
they jell the hair in places. its rock soiled.
hair MOVES in gas or liquid.
it dose Not Spring back into the same places!

Wow - more incoherent dribble from the flat earth ……

You mention the SATURN V - well the SATURN is old technology, very old technology, over 50 years

Each Saturn V was custom built, especially first stage, only to be used once - which gets very expensive fast

Things come a long way in terms of materials, manufacturing and especially electronics

Objective today is efficiency and reusability - something SPACE X has demonstrated can do (at least most of the time...)
by landing first stage boosters and now the payload shrouds

New rockets will be able to haul massive payloads into orbit or on lunar or interplanetary missions in order to support missions to Moon or Mars

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The shuttle was a Mack Truck designed for Low Earth Orbit. It does not have the fuel capacity for anything further. It's not designed for inter-planetary flight. If you are going to Mars you need to get down to the surface and back up. The shuttle couldn't do that either. You need a purpose-built craft to get to Mars. The shuttle ain't it. It was a shuttle. That's all.

Correct. If A.I doesn't decide to kill us all then I think building interplanetary ships is a possibility in a relatively short time.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Still Might think this is possible, Mars Flyby, modified sealed cargo bay and Bulkhead for expanded Fuel capability, Basically a flying capsule. The wings seem to be removable, some new redesigned wings for extra O2.

s3.amazonaws.com...

ih1.redbubble.net...

www.nasaspaceflight.com...

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...

www.artifactoryreplicas.com...

Probably one of the main benefits would be in the delivery system to space, it's already been developed. Rocket Boosters

It would be a tight squeeze for 2 astronauts and cargo.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.reddit.com...

www.insidescience.org...

upload.wikimedia.org...
edit on 13-12-2018 by I8THATAPPLEFRITTER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Probably would have to refuel in Low Earth Atmosphere, "Armageddon" but most likely fuel supplied by other rockets payloads, not space station. Up side: wouldn't be used for re-entry. Left in low Earth Atmosphere.

Astronauts would be enclosed in small cramped capsule for 16 months, though.

Probably not that many takers for that mission

edit on 13-12-2018 by I8THATAPPLEFRITTER because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join