It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mozilla Updates Firefox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
After it was revealed that almost every browser in the world except one--Internet Explorer-- has a dangerous "spoofing" flaw, Mozilla has released an update, Firefox 1.0.1. The new version will use "punycode" instead of Unicode for International Domain Names, thus making it easier to see spoofing scams. Mozilla says that this fix is insufficient for the long term, but it is hoped that a better fix will follow.

www.internetnews.com
The Mozilla Foundation has released the latest version of its popular Firefox browser, along with a series of patches intended to prevent spoofing and phishing attacks that have caused the browser to crash.

Firefox 1.0.1, addresses numerous security vulnerabilities and approximately 40 other browser fixes, according to the not-for-profit software foundation.

The primary glitch, which the updated browser fixed, was a vulnerability found in the Internalized Domain Names (IDN) protocol, which allows the use of certain international characters that look like other commonly used characters.

The IDN vulnerability allows hackers to spoof Web sites through phishing attacks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I use MSN9 Premium, which is a shell for IE, because the interface is easy to use, familiar to me, and it works well with my programmable Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse. I have messed around with Firefox, but it really doesn't seem to be easier than MSN9 and I can't figure out how to change the home page to ATS or get it to work with as efficiently with my mouse. And, I am just learning, it doesn't work my IESpelling program
. I'll have to post this submission and check the spelling afterward with IE.

I think this proves one thing, though. Whatever the malicious among us turn their collective attention to, it becomes vulnerable, especially on the internet. Wherever there are those who would try to accomplish some good in this world, there are those who can think of nothing better than to disrupt and exploit. The internet is the world in microcosm, replete with the timeless and universal battles between good and evil and any sense of safety is either purely false or, at best, short lived.

Related News Links:
www.theregister.co.uk
www.vnunet.com
www.computerweekly.com
www.macworld.com

[edit on 05/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I must say I've been singing the praises of Firefox. However, as is always the case, as soon as something becomes popular, it is subject to ridicule or attack by malcontents or bored teenagers with a hard-on for their own computer skills. Pretty soon, everyone will be complaining about the "security holes" in Firefox and lauding an all-new browser that is coming out. Etcetera, and so on and so forth, ad infinitum.

Anonymity is what makes the Internet such a fascinating cultural environment/experiment, but it this anonymity which also opens up the opportunity for abuse. It's the old H.G.Wells invisible man moral fable. What would a law-abiding, decent member of society be capable of if they knew anonymity was ensured and there were no consequences for their actions whatsoever? The answer is: hack the latest browser.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I'm not quite so cynical. There are good people, even on the internet. Those who would do such things are either immature pranksters whose power to disrupt is magnified on the internet or they are hardcore sociopaths who would steal groceries from old ladies in their driveways, if that's all they had available.

You can test your browser vulnerability here.

secunia.com...

SMR

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Long time user of FireFox and this was fast fix!
You dont see M$ fixing IE that fast,thats for sure!

Anyway,what is liked by many are the extensions that YOU can chose,rather than have them all bundled into a bloated browser and find you dont need them all.
I encourage anyone that wants to give FireFox a chance,to chose the extensions ( plugins ) of they're choice at The Extensionsmirror

As for one issue above.Making a page,any page your homepage in FireFox,just drag the favicon ( or the URL ) from the address bar to the HOME button

Or click TOOLS/OPTIONS/GENERAL TAB and if on ATS as wanted above,click the button that says USE CURRENT PAGE

fixed url

[edit on 26-2-2005 by SMR]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I just downloaded Firefox 1.0.1 from here and it fails the phishing test here.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
As for one issue above.Making a page,any page your homepage in FireFox,just drag the favicon ( or the URL ) from the address bar to the HOME button Or click TOOLS/OPTIONS/GENERAL TAB and if on ATS as wanted above,click the button that says USE CURRENT PAGE

Thanks for the help. I'm going to continue to work with Firefox to give it a fair chance, but I still find it hard to believe that the new version is still vulnerable to the flaw. I checked my version and it's 1.0.1.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
Long time user of FireFox and this was fast fix!
You dont see M$ fixing IE that fast,thats for sure!

reasons being are simple.. FF copy of Open Source Mozilla, which is originally a linux product also open source.. hense MFF.. so you have a billion people working on this project.

As for MS crap you have closed off s/w that gets done when they feel like doing it... Unfortunately MS knows many people are at thier mercy so they wont give a rats ass in fixing something till they are good and ready to...

sad reality in the ways of Closed s/w and Open Source s/w...

[edit on 26-2-2005 by ThichHeaded]

SMR

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here is all the info one would need on this issue and how to fix.
I too thought they would get this in 1.0.1 but didnt,,,hmmm
Anyway,look that this thread and do the fix,it works.
forums.mozillazine.org...

new topics

top topics

join