It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10---EDGE....to use or not to use

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Try the Vivaldi browser on Windows 10. It's great and a lot less memory intensive than Chrome.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I hate Edge and avoid it at all costs.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Ive been finding myself in the same situation.
I have 2 computers in my office. One I use for processing the other I use for design.
On my processing computer, I use Chrome.
Because I've been lazy I haven't set it up on my Design computer. And have been using Edge.
I honestly haven't found anything wrong with it yet.

When I close out Edge, a little survey always comes up and asks if I would recommend Edge to a friend.
Because I dont want to like edge I always choose "the unlikely to recommend" choice lol.
But really, it does everything you need it to.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

Beat me to it

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

It depend's what you use your PC for, any gaming at all and while there are a few linux game's they are usually older one's that have eventually been converted, the Linux operating system (usually packaged with most distribution versions of it) has an emulator called Wine which will run some OLDER windows software as well but it too is far from perfect but for everything else Linux depending on what GUI you go for is just as good as window's, better according to many.

10 though I find is stable, it has some compatibility issues with older windows program's but mostly fine and you can actually emulate older window's using the free Microsoft virtual machine so long as you have the old windows install disc (old retail disc) to install on it.

As for Edge, I am actually using chrome at the moment on my own Windows 10 install (I game a little or would be a Linux fan no doubt about it) but I sometimes use Edge as well, Website compatibility is far greater with Chrome than edge but it is usually faster than even chrome even if it does have those problem's with some websites.

As for safety, that is all down to whatever Anti Virus you are using, currently I am using a cheap McAfee install but in the past used Bullguard which was also excellent, it's worth shopping around though and remember the official price is often undercut if you go to some large electrical retailers and opt for digital download versions of the software rather than buying the rip off (price wise) retail version.
The thing to remember is that Chrome you have to periodically check for updates (I had a security issue relating to an up to date version of Firefox so won't touch that with a barge pole though there are a great many that swear by it) and with Edge it is updated usually unless you opt out of automatic updates whenever there is a new fix or security patch for it.

Edge is safer in this regard but your real safety still rest's in your AV program, windows 10 is also a lot safer than older version's of window's as well (Though I stand by my opinion that 7 64 ultimate was there best ever operating system).

edit on 8-12-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Time frame for this?
And will it be for home and pro users?

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Time frame for this?
And will it be for home and pro users?

Once some of the Insider Previews are verified by users , certain parts make their way to standard Windows updates . So , there is really no "time frame"
I believe there will be a large Windows 10 release update upcoming soon though . Microsoft has added a bunch of features to the Insider Previews . Especially Edge

Insider Flights

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Is it cooler than a laptop if you call it a "lappy"? Sounds like somebody got licked in the face by a dog (Nominally a collie but perhaps even a golden retriever that works cheaper than an actual collie) and they said "Don't you get lappy with me, Lassy!".

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a new computer...and succumb to Windows10.
I am familiar with it since my husband got a Win10 lappy earlier this year.

I am toying with the idea of using Edge on my new computer.....mostly b/c I like using more than one browser.
I have not used a M$ browser in over 10 years.....I dislike IE sooooo much.

Is Edge any better?
Is it worth using?
Safe?
Speedy?

Edge is changing immediately. The new version will be streamlined, less cluttered and more secure.

At work..
can't provide the link...but Microsoft made that anouncment yesterday/this week.

edit on 8-12-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

You're right....no replacement for a good AV!
Currently using Webroot....very much in the background, doesn't use a lot of resources unlike others I've used.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I use Edge without any problems since Windows 10 was released.

As pointed out by some members, there are sites that do not work on Edge, but that may be either a fault of the site or a fault of the browser.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop
I avoid edge as much as possible, even to the point I use Edge Deflector so anything windows related that spawns a browser, goes to my choice of browser and not edge by default.

You just have to say which browser you want as your default browser, no need for external tools, Windows has had that option for many years.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So far I see no bookmarks...only something called favorites...
And no bar to display them???

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

'favourites' are bookmarks.
ive been using edge as my go to browser for almost a year, I didn't like it much at first, but now I like it.
I occasionally use ff when edge doesn't have whatever extension I want, but i'll chose edge over ff or chrome allday.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

just to be different....LOL on Edge.
And I found how to show the "favorites" bar.

I'm willing to try Edge.....mostly b/c I don't like Chrome, on principle

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

This has been my experience with windows 10 in general, including edge.

Didn't really want to like any of it, especially being a huge fan of Linux distros.. but after giving it a chance I've become pretty happy with it all. Didn't even do dual boot on my latest PC build (that's a big deal for me).

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Too early for me to say for sure....and part of it is about having a shiny new machine with a speedy, clean drive, but it is such a joy to have such fast loading.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join