It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft confirms Edge is moving to Chromium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Microsoft has officially confirmed that its floundering Edge web browser will be rebuilt on the Chromium rendering engine...

It's about damn time they faced up to the to compatibility issues. Years ago it got so bad that every website I designed had a default popup on the home page for MSIE users that essentially said, Hey, stupid, this site won't work with your crappy browser; download a new one here or here, with links to Chrome and Safari.

I literally would have had to design two separate sites, one for IE and one for everyone else. MS thought it was that powerful. They're just now waking up to the reality of their irrelevance. I doubt, however, that the awareness will run very deep.

Now days, I don't even test sites for Edge.

From Techradar ...
:
edit on 2018 12 07 by incoserv because: typos.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Interesting and after all of those years of claiming there browser was safer, faster and more reliable when in fact it was not, I use Chrome for most thing's though from time to time I do open up Edge and in some way's it is faster but in others it is slower so I suppose that is pretty much subjective.
I got rid of Firefox (which I had kept up to date) after finding it had allowed a lot more malware/malvertising onto my PC than Chrome ever had.

Good news I think.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Is Microsoft going to buy Google now?

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That sound's like that may be the direction they might head into and if so the next Microsoft OS may actually end up being built upon the Linux kernal, a bit like going back to there Unix based/inspired NT and then backtracking even further to actual Unix or at least OS2 then going down the Linux Road.
Of course they may already have done so.
itsfoss.com...
Wasn't NT based on Unix or stole most of it's idea's anyway.

Then again the guy whom built the original version of DOS ended up pretty poor while Gate's whom was lauded as a genius but was much more of a business man and salesman managed to wangle a deal with IBM to include DOS which he had purchased of that guy in his garage for just a few hundred dollars as it's default operating system.
www.bloomberg.com...
Bit of a trawl through history this, remember CP/m.
Never much of a programmer myself, the last time was in Pascal but that was back in my student day's and I have probably forgotten more than I ever learned back then
edit on 7-12-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

It is safer because no one targets it because no one uses it.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Just chuckling here, OK fine that is a very good point - and probably bang on the money.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: LABTECH767

It is safer because no one targets it because no one uses it.

It's funny because it's true. Only 2% of internet users used Edge as of November 2018.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: acollins1979

It's the same reason Apple has less to worry about from virus' and hacking despite their product being both easier to hack and easier to infect with a virus.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Very interesting post, thanks.

top topics

join