It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish doctor warns: Vegan food may lead to mental retardation

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: SeaWorthy

The fact remains that you still have to ingest far more material in order to meet your requirement if you are eating solely from vegetarian/vegan sources.

Now, I have never said it's not possible to meet your requirements on vegan/vegetarian diets, but I have been saying all along that it's harder because those sources are less efficient providers of those nutrients.

And what this doctor is saying is that those nutrients are vital for growing, developing bodies. Haven't you ever sat with a young child at mealtimes? Have you ever tried getting them to eat beyond their "full" point or tried getting them to eat things they may not want to? As an adult, you or I can sit there in front of a pile of vegetarian protein and force ourselves to eat all of it because we know we have to. Try getting a kid to do that once they are done.

What a miserable childhood, but if they don't, they risk growing up malnourished. That's this doctor's point. And I get it because the point I've been trying to make to you is that if I had to feed myself like that, I'd be having to chronically force myself to feel like I'm overeating ... eating beyond satiation to the point of physical discomfort in order to eat enough to be healthy.

Totally false.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drucifer
Vegan here who just had their first Dr visit in 18 years. I was really worried for a bit that I was going full retard. It started back around 2016 when I came on this board and saw it started worshipping politicians instead of discussing their secrets....I thought my wires were crossed and I was just seeing the opposite version of things somehow.

All jokes aside, I just need to be more consistent with the B12 supplement I take. Fats are good, blood pressure and cholesterol are all great for my age and former diet. I’ve lost 40lbs in the last year. I’m 5’9, currently 160lbs. I was a pretty hefty dude and hit 250lbs at one point a few years back. My current job is fairly labor intensive as a property engineer, you definitely can’t be a physically weak individual to do my job and I take pride in how well I do it.

Hard being vegan correctly? Sure, to someone who already makes poor diet choices. That’s one of the silliest arguments I’ve ever seen. I LOVE it when people ask me “but what about protein?” while they’re woofing down a Big Mac or a pizza...

The hardest part for me is remembering to take my B12. I still do crave the taste of certain things, I didn’t stop eating them because I didn’t like the taste, that’s for sure. I just know it doesn’t sit right with me to kill what doesn’t want to die, so I minimize it as much as possible in my life. It’ll never be perfect, that’s unobtainable unless you can float in the air and live off that air.

Debating it is something I stopped doing about 2 months after I switched. I’ve got far more interesting things to do with my time and frankly, I just don’t care if people eat themselves to an early grave while posting “Mmmm bacon” at the near mention of a vegan diet.

Best response I've ever seen! Thank you for posting this! You rock!

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Carcharadon

Thank God for the old white men that built a society so great that delusional people like you are able to completely disregard the natural order so you'll have something to feel superior about.

And the "people" that you so sneeringly disregard are more often than not poor people that dont have access to r the funds to live your ridiculous and unnatural lifestyle. They are also not fat because of meat. But you knew that didnt you? Just couldn't resist proclaiming your superiority and wokeness compared to the peasants could ya? Go ahead and refrain from meat. The only reason you are able to is because of Capitalism.

You are the type of person that makes normal people hate Vegans.

Where do you live that basic produce costs more than meat/processed food?

My fiance and I food shop every Sunday for the rest of the week, we buy all whole food/non-GMO, supposedly the "expensive" stuff, yet we're getting our breakfast, lunch and dinners for about $80 a week, give or take $10. If we buy processed stuff (Tofurkey/cheese slices) it'll be a bit higher. It's the biggest cost cutting thing we've done in the 11 years we've been together.

Just one dinner, for example, General Tso's Cauliflower, one head of cauliflower for $2, a bag of rice for $1, 1 bag of brussel sprouts $3. The ingredients for the breading and sauce come out to about $8 and were already purchased. Or lentil bolagnese, a bag of lentils, some onions, peppers, pasta and sauce (we usually make our own, which costs all of $3 if you already own spices)..that's about $5 for an entire meal for 2 people.

Our combined income is around $70-80K a year and live in South Florida, we're FAR from wealthy, but we're definitely not starving or in need of any assistance. So please, go on and tell us more about how we're "lucky" to eat the cheapest things you can buy in a grocery store.

edit on 13-12-2018 by Drucifer because: missed a word

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl
That argument just doesn't make sense, unless you believe that plants are not living things that want to live/survive.

Do they have a central nervous system? Will they run away when they get cut with a knife?

I've already seen the reports of plants communicating with each other, I'm aware. But being that a large number of plants/fruits contain seeds and have an appealing taste to humans and animals, I feel comfortable with the idea that those things are in place because they're supposed to be consumed/dispersed. And while I used to eat rare steak and had plenty of raw animals (lamb, namely), I don't hear many stories of people just picking up animals and eating them like apples without some kind of preparation first.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
You know, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. The truth likely is we eat too much meat, but not that eating meat is wrong.

Any diet that requires you to take supplements is on it's face a bad diet. A good diet would be one where you don't need any supplements and that's not a Vegan diet. I think that's just common sense.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
You know, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. The truth likely is we eat too much meat, but not that eating meat is wrong.

Any diet that requires you to take supplements is on it's face a bad diet. A good diet would be one where you don't need any supplements and that's not a Vegan diet. I think that's just common sense.

Well, my common sense tells me that my mental health far outweighs the 'downside' of taking a supplement. I stopped eating animals because it made me feel guilty knowing I didn't HAVE to eat them in order to survive. I said in another post, I still crave the taste of them....I'd LOVE a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese, but I know what it'll do to me mentally if I partake, so I avoid it. I'd much rather spend $12 a month on a B12 supplement than find a way to rationalize with myself that in order to avoid it, I can just go back to eating animals.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

All "diets" require supplements of some kind. If they don't, they'll most certainly require some kind of medication later on. I'd rather take a B12 now than pay for a costly med to treat a disease or condition that could have been avoided. All of our foods (mostly boxed/bagged) are supplemented with something... enriched - protein plus - added omega's, etc. You know what isn't supplemented? An apple. It's just an apple.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Carcharadon

originally posted by: okrian
Well that's quite an in-depth article (rolling eyes).

I'm almost 30 years of being vegan... hmmm, not feeling the effects of this article yet. Such a stupid and agenda driven writeup. I also want to know who funded it.

It's easy as can be to be vegan these days. Just make sure you get your vitamins. All the info it out there. Also, anything can be put in a negative light. Eat a ton of red meat. Bad. Eat a ton of eggs. Bad. Eat a lot of butter. Bad. Eat a ton of fake meat. Bad. Whatever.

ps - Look around America at all these fat overfed and yet somehow malnourished non-vegans. Especially the kids these days. They are sure doing it right.

Agenda ftw.

Thank God for the old white men that built a society so great that delusional people like you are able to completely disregard the natural order so you'll have something to feel superior about.

And the "people" that you so sneeringly disregard are more often than not poor people that dont have access to r the funds to live your ridiculous and unnatural lifestyle. They are also not fat because of meat. But you knew that didnt you? Just couldn't resist proclaiming your superiority and wokeness compared to the peasants could ya? Go ahead and refrain from meat. The only reason you are able to is because of Capitalism.

You are the type of person that makes normal people hate Vegans.

Wow, angry much?
Clearly there is something going on with you that has nothing to do with eating meat or being a vegan.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I don't agree but that is something the vitamin, supplement and health food industries rely on people believing to sell products that are not needed if you are eating a good diet. Follow the money. They have good reason to want to influence people to believe it. In fact much of that industry can be rightly compared to the selling of snake oil.

It's very much like the fad diet industry. It relies on emotions created by propaganda and it's very, very profitable.

I'd suggest a diet of wild game and fish combined with a diverse array of vegetables and fruits would supply all needs without any need for or value in taking supplements.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

I have respect for that as long as a person does not try and say that those who have no problem with eating our natural diet, including meat, are doing something wrong, or try to force it on others.

It is a problem if a parent chooses to feed their children an inadequate diet at a time when their bodies need a good diet the most. In particular with regards to infants. As we have seen in the news a couple of times a year people end up in court for killing their infants by trying to raise an infant as a Vegan from birth. When even milk for an infant is denied due to what amounts to a pseudo religious belief that all animal products are evil, it goes too far. I understand it only happens on average about twice a year, but it does happen.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I don't agree but that is something the vitamin, supplement and health food industries rely on people believing to sell products that are not needed if you are eating a good diet. Follow the money. They have good reason to want to influence people to believe it. In fact much of that industry can be rightly compared to the selling of snake oil.

It's very much like the fad diet industry. It relies on emotions created by propaganda and it's very, very profitable.

I'd suggest a diet of wild game and fish combined with a diverse array of vegetables and fruits would supply all needs without any need for or value in taking supplements.

Well if you're taking the angle of the machine feeding the masses then yeah, I totally agree with you. However, it's not so easy for a full time working single mom of 2 to take the time and shop for wild game and fish. The veggies, easy enough. But honestly by the time she makes it to the store she's exhausted and just wants to grab what's easy and on sale so yes. Food manufacturers use tricks and labels to make people think they're doing something good by buying the product with extra fiber or added vitamins, etc. At the end of the day my opinion is anything in a box or a bag is just crap!

We all know that the topic of industry poisoning us with food is a whole other topic for sure!

I don't eat animal products and manage to get everything my body needs (Macro's and micro's), because I calculate my needs and percentages based upon my daily activity.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: KiwiNite

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Who funded this research, Danish bacon?

I can see where he is coming from though, most of the vegetarians and vegans I know are underweight and sallow looking. The ones carrying a bit of weight are cheats I'm guessing.

What's wrong with being "underweight"? And who is to decide what weight is right for everyone?

Easy there... I happen to be a female body-builder and competitor, and I'm vegan. And a master licensed nutritionist.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Here's the thing - You are making the assumption that being non-vegan automatically means we're all wolfing down Big Macs and pizzas. Those are poor diet choices no matter what diet you're on.

I've peeled 30 pounds myself in a little under a year without going vegan.

We cook our own food almost every day. We limit going out to maybe once a week and watch the portions we eat when we do and we also watch calories and make better choices. We don't go out for fast food (like the Big Mac you mention).

So much of being the right weight is about knowing what you're eating (reading labels or just buying whole food and making it yourself) and knowing how to correctly portion it for what you actually need. You can achieve it on all kinds of diets from vegan/vegetarian to a regular one. I get though that some people need the drastic departure and restrictions to create a lifestyle they can stick to.

It's not what you eat that causes weight loss - it's the amount. That's it.
You can eat processed foods all day long, if you're eating less than your burning (maintaining a calorie deficit), you're going to lose weight.
ALL diet fads have one thing in common - they restrict calories one way or another, they just don't call it that. Eliminating or reducing food types or entire food groups, counting points (a.k.a. counting calories), increased exercise, not eating after a certain time fasting... it's all the same.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
a reply to: Blaine91555

I have digestion issues partly because of an odd birth defect and age 72.

Reason for adding dairy, gluten, coffee to my elimination list.

We have lost about a tennis ball size of brain since farming was invented. The other aspect is the HUGE volume of energy our brains need to function well and that is about 20% of our total intake, and that is a rather big percentage. This all kind of goes down the path that we had a very high energy diet before farming, but it was inconsistent. With farming the energy consumption has gone down, but we created consistency in our food supply. Today we can do anything we want, but we are addicted to carbs like it was heron, so that is a problem since it leads to insulin insensitivity and then type 2 diabetes.

So I'm convince that if we got back to fats and proteins with just a touch of carbs we would be a hell of a lot better off...nothing like changing 2 million year old diet and then think it is good.

edit on 13-12-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

You know whats weird, my caloric intake has actually increased since I went paleo/keto. I am also down to 158 lbs from around 205 when I started 4-5 years ago. I am able to just walk for exercise to maintain my weight now.

No additional supplements or vitamins. I basically eat 4-5 strips of bacon, 4 eggs cooked in onions and red peppers for every breakfast, a large salad and then an enormous supper. I love gluttony and eat to satiation daily.

My health has also been steadily improving since I began the paleo way of life. My gums have went from 7-9 mm pockets to everything being 3mm or less now. No bleeding, no more toothaches. Dentist calls it superstar results, where he had thought surgery was going to be needed.

No more sinus issues. No more headaches. No more acid reflux/heartburn.

I think it is all about the TYPE of food you consume, nothing to do with calories.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Here's the thing - You are making the assumption that being non-vegan automatically means we're all wolfing down Big Macs and pizzas. Those are poor diet choices no matter what diet you're on.

Actually, the Big Mac/pizza reference were from two actual conversations with people I've had in the last year. One was my boss eating a Big Mac and another was a guy on the street eating pizza during a Cube Of Truth.

I worked in the restaurant industry for 20 years as a cook/server. This played a BIG role in my turn to veganism. It's unbelievable how many people do NOT know where their food comes from. For 40+ hours a week, for 20 years, I talked to people about food, I made my living by talking to people about food or cooking it for them, up and down the East coast, from small towns to big cities. I think I've got a pretty firm grasp on how people view food at this point, at least in American, lower and middle class culture and their "knowledge" regarding it.

My reference to the Big Mac/pizza thing was not assuming that people who aren't vegan are unhealthy, but pointing out that people who simply heard once that vegans have a hard time getting protein like to wave that flag as if it's actually a concern to them or vegans.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I have respect for that as long as a person does not try and say that those who have no problem with eating our natural diet, including meat, are doing something wrong, or try to force it on others.

It is a problem if a parent chooses to feed their children an inadequate diet at a time when their bodies need a good diet the most. In particular with regards to infants. As we have seen in the news a couple of times a year people end up in court for killing their infants by trying to raise an infant as a Vegan from birth. When even milk for an infant is denied due to what amounts to a pseudo religious belief that all animal products are evil, it goes too far. I understand it only happens on average about twice a year, but it does happen.

Vegan activists annoyed me before I was vegan and even more so now that I'm actually vegan and really, for the same reasons other people get annoyed by them. It's something I've put a lot of time into thinking about. I ate meat for 35 years and made my living cooking and selling it for 20 of those years, so I very much understand the appeal of it. I profited and kept myself alive off my ability to highlight the appealing features of eating animals and rarely thought twice about it. A few things occurred in my life that really made me think twice about factory farming and the way we currently consume and just toss away animals without a single care.

But, I don't feel it's right for me, or anyone, to tell anyone else how to live. I lean more libertarian than anything else, I'm coming to realize as a political late bloomer. So in that comes the question, how does one approach the subject of something they feel is unjust and unfair to a living being while at the same time not telling anyone what to do?

And I suppose that's where the disconnect between me and activism comes in, or playing the role of the annoying vegan. I do not think it is right to use animals for pleasure or profit, however, that doesn't mean I think people are wrong for doing something we've been doing, literally, since the dawn of man in regards to consuming meat. My issue is the way we go about it today with factory farms and the general lack of care or concern for living creatures. Really, I don't even care if you want to raise and kill your own animals for food/clothing.

As for your second paragraph regarding those idiots, you can exchange veganism for any other lifestyle and find pieces of sh*t in it. They didn't do that because they're vegans, they did it because they're f*cking idiots. One could argue a school shooter doesn't shoot up a school because he has a gun, he does it because he's also a f*cking idiot. A priest doesn't touch a kid just because he's a priest, he does it because he's a f*cking idiot....so on and so forth.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

Now that's true enough.

According to many guidelines, I'm morbidly obese. 6'4" 280 lbs. You'd have a hard time finding all that much extraneous weight.

Somehow or other, I've maintained between 270 and 280, for the last 20 years, and I'm not one to watch what I eat all that closely. Try for balance in my diet, but sometimes that's a cheeseburger in either hand.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Any diet that requires you to take supplements is on it's face a bad diet.

In a perfect world, you may be right, but the reality is, the top soil (or what serves for top soil today - read stories of what top soil looked like 100 years ago) is totally depleted of the nutrients (minerals etc) that are required to produce healthy plants and animals, so, even if you eat what would have been called an extremely healthy diet 100 years ago, you still won't be getting the nutrients you need to gain vital health.
edit on 14-12-2018 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drucifer

originally posted by: tanstaafl
That argument just doesn't make sense, unless you believe that plants are not living things that want to live/survive.

Do they have a central nervous system? Will they run away when they get cut with a knife?

Irrelevant.

Or, to answer your question with another... Are they alive?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join