It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish doctor warns: Vegan food may lead to mental retardation

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
Just to provide a counterpoint from 18 doctors

nutriciously.com...

Following a plant-based diet can help prevent, treat, and even reverse most of today’s chronic diseases. Luckily, we know of these powerful effects thanks to a handful of passionate and famous vegan doctors without whom this huge movement wouldn’t have grown nearly as much as it already has.

Does that apply to infants and young children? If not why post it as it is completely irrelevant to the conversation.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
Well that's quite an in-depth article (rolling eyes).

I'm almost 30 years of being vegan... hmmm, not feeling the effects of this article yet. Such a stupid and agenda driven writeup. I also want to know who funded it.

It's easy as can be to be vegan these days. Just make sure you get your vitamins. All the info it out there. Also, anything can be put in a negative light. Eat a ton of red meat. Bad. Eat a ton of eggs. Bad. Eat a lot of butter. Bad. Eat a ton of fake meat. Bad. Whatever.

ps - Look around America at all these fat overfed and yet somehow malnourished non-vegans. Especially the kids these days. They are sure doing it right.

Agenda ftw.

Thank God for the old white men that built a society so great that delusional people like you are able to completely disregard the natural order so you'll have something to feel superior about.

And the "people" that you so sneeringly disregard are more often than not poor people that dont have access to r the funds to live your ridiculous and unnatural lifestyle. They are also not fat because of meat. But you knew that didnt you? Just couldn't resist proclaiming your superiority and wokeness compared to the peasants could ya? Go ahead and refrain from meat. The only reason you are able to is because of Capitalism.

You are the type of person that makes normal people hate Vegans.

edit on 9-12-2018 by Carcharadon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
whats so it like the chicken and the egg.

Is mental retardation caused by veganism or is veganism the cause of mental retardation?

There is no chicken and egg thing. Eggs were around a long, long time before chickens...

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.
Retardation leads to vegan food

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Maybe that doctor should be looking at the crap that most people in "modern society" eat before he starts worrying about retardation in vegans. I agree one could have nutritional deficiencies if you are not mindful, but the bunk about "I need meat for protein" is just not true by any standard.... I have been living off the protein from alfalfa sprouts and mung beans for years and I'm extremely healthy. Do our teeth really look like they are for tearing into meat? Why are we the only animals that have to frigging cut up our meat in little pieces?

Do any of you meat eaters feel in the least bit guilty for what humans have done to animals? Could you look an animal in the eye and kill them or do you prefer to busy your mind with other things when you pick up that meat slice at the store? Or the other possibility is you just don't give a rip.

I do really appreciate your concern about the mental retardation and such, but wouldn't your time be better spent looking at what you put into your own mouths?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The raw produce aisle diet is realllllly expensive too

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I would have thought that the opposite was true. Mental retardation leads to veganism.

Maybe I was wrong

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

This requires knowledge and dedication to make sure the body gets everything it needs.

Warning anecdote:

my wife is vegan (not super strict) is currently 8+ months pregnant with our 2nd kid. had every blood test you can think of cuz shes pregnant. everything is normal. first kid is 3.5, all dr visits and checkups are normal/perfect. 87th percentile height, 60th in weight.

wheres the problem?

ive been vegetarian for 15 years. everything feels just fine.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Remember too that if a kid eats a lot of berries, especially rasberries and eats a lot of soy stuff and other estrogen promoting chemistries, the girls can actually have early puberty, and boys who eat bananas will have raised testosterone levels.

Eh? Those symptoms come from the soy, not the berries, which, if organic, are nutritional powerhouses.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

Remember too that if a kid eats a lot of berries, especially rasberries and eats a lot of soy stuff and other estrogen promoting chemistries, the girls can actually have early puberty, and boys who eat bananas will have raised testosterone levels.

Eh? Those symptoms come from the soy, not the berries, which, if organic, are nutritional powerhouses.

Remember, if you eat lots of any seed product it increases levels in your body. all berries contain phytoestrogens, add those to soy products and seed oils and you increase the amounts in the body. woman.thenest.com...

You have to consider accumulative effects from all sources. Women need more estrogen than guys do, guys need more foods that stimulate testosterone. Too much testosterone is no good just like too much estrogen chemistry is.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

all berries contain phytoestrogens

Yeah, well, not so much... at least googling only revealed one claim from 2000, but no reference to any particular study, and all of the other resources only mention blackberries (which were mentioned from the 2000 source as the highest) as only a minor source.

So, no, not much to worry about, I think...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

all berries contain phytoestrogens

Yeah, well, not so much... at least googling only revealed one claim from 2000, but no reference to any particular study, and all of the other resources only mention blackberries (which were mentioned from the 2000 source as the highest) as only a minor source.

So, no, not much to worry about, I think...

You are looking at one chemistry and not looking at accumulative effect. If you eat too much of any particular chemistry you can get the same overdose as a single chemistry. Raspberries are a medicine for women and it is well known that raspberry leaves are potent but the berries are also pretty high in some of these chemicals. I am going to be having an update of windows making a restart, I will find a chart of these potencies, but remember, you need to consider all sources, even milk is a source. Add them up to find out consumption numbers.

Whole grain breads have a considerable amount too. There are also adrogens in some foods that also share some properties.
edit on 12-12-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

Maybe that doctor should be looking at the crap that most people in "modern society" eat before he starts worrying about retardation in vegans. I agree one could have nutritional deficiencies if you are not mindful, but the bunk about "I need meat for protein" is just not true by any standard.

True enough. Regardless of which path one takes, the main thing would be to eliminate 'fake' foods, meaning, all of the processed garbage.

I have been living off the protein from alfalfa sprouts and mung beans for years and I'm extremely healthy.

Happy for you. I used to grow my own sprouts and wheatgrass.

Do our teeth really look like they are for tearing into meat? Why are we the only animals that have to frigging cut up our meat in little pieces?

We may not be designed to hunt animals down by chasing after them on all fours like a cat, but my teeth tear into meat just fine. I only cut it into bite sized pieces because I don't like getting the juices all over my face and running down to my neck and chest.

Do any of you meat eaters feel in the least bit guilty for what humans have done to animals?

I don't feel guilty because I'm not personally engaged in such behavior. but I do feel sad and empathetic. I also feel that way about what we've done to the plants and trees, our fresh water sources, etc.

Incidentally, global warming isn't the problem, pollution is. Solve the pollution problem, and you eliminate the 'global warming is man made' argument altogether, regardless of whether you believe in it or not.

Could you look an animal in the eye and kill them or do you prefer to busy your mind with other things when you pick up that meat slice at the store?

I prefer the latter, but would be fully capable of killing them myself while looking them in the eye.

That said, we buy our meat in bulk (ie, whole cow) from a local farmer that treats their animals humanely.

Or the other possibility is you just don't give a rip.

Oh, I give a rip, but while I feel much better health wise when eating meat/animal products, I don't adopt an extremely nasty militant holier than thou attitude against people who choose to not eat meat/animal products.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
Your questions are for the Doctors not me

Doctors are for fixing broken bones. They don't have a clue when it comes to true health and healing.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Drucifer
I still do crave the taste of certain things, I didn’t stop eating them because I didn’t like the taste, that’s for sure. I just know it doesn’t sit right with me to kill what doesn’t want to die, so I minimize it as much as possible in my life. It’ll never be perfect, that’s unobtainable unless you can float in the air and live off that air.

That argument just doesn't make sense, unless you believe that plants are not living things that want to live/survive.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

This kinda explains a recent thread....wink wink nudge nudge

Really?
asshat

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I've been using the LIVESTRONG app to help me lose weight, and one thing I have noticed is that eating a lot of vegetables is really easy to do. They pack almost no calories. The problem is that if you are trying to balance your fat, protein and carb intakes to stay healthy, it's darn near impossible while eating just veggies. Sure, I can fill up really, really easy and stay under my calorie target and lose weight, but I'm not getting the nutrients I need to stay healthy.

And it takes a ton of veggie matter to get those nutrients. I feel bloated from having eaten so much. Whereas a nice meat and bean chili made with 93/7 ground beef and beans while fill me up *and* balance out my nutrients in a single cup to cup and a 1/2 with a bit of cheese to garnish.

Then you are doing it wrong.
Weight loss and nothing else comes down to calories in / calories out.
Plant based carbs - root vegetables, beans, rice, various grains
Plant based fats - olives, olive oils, nuts and seeds
Plant based protein - edamame, tofu, tempeh, lentils, black beans, PB, chickpeas, almonds, oats...
I could name a million more things.
How many calories are you consuming per day? how many calories are you burning per day? Do you weight and measure your foods and liquids? do you keep a log or track? how do you track? do you use a scale? measurements??????????

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: whywhynot

So why do we have incisors and canine teeth?

Because it's not for ripping vegetables apart, that's a given.

Think about how much vegetable matter the average person would need to consume each day just to get the required calories to survive?

Plant-based diets are great but do they really give us all that we require?

One of the most common justifications for eating animals that vegans encounter is, “If I wasn’t meant to eat meat, then I wouldn’t have these canine teeth!” It’s a knee-jerk defense that’s often made after a meat-eater has been confronted with information about a vegan nutrition plan or the routine cruelties of animal farming, or with the fact that humans have no biological need to consume meat, milk or eggs.

But there are several serious problems with the “canine teeth” argument, the most glaring one being the premise that “the presence of canine teeth = meant to eat meat.” In truth, with the exception of rodents, rabbits, and pikas, nearly all mammals have canine teeth. In fact, several herbivores and primary plant-eaters have ferocious canine teeth, and, the largest canine teeth of any land animal belong to a true herbivore.

Another problem with the “canine teeth” argument is the idea that, just because we have a physical attribute that enables us to do something harmful, we are morally justified to perform that activity unnecessarily and whenever we want. Humans are physically capable of inflicting all kinds of violence (“If I wasn’t meant to beat people up, I wouldn’t have these big fists!), but our capacity to harm others has nothing to do with whether or not we are right to harm others. Indeed, most people would say it is wrong to cause harm when you can just as easily avoid doing so. And we can easily (and drastically) reduce the needless harm and suffering we cause to other animals simply by making different choices at the grocery store.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
Well that's quite an in-depth article (rolling eyes).

I'm almost 30 years of being vegan... hmmm, not feeling the effects of this article yet. Such a stupid and agenda driven writeup. I also want to know who funded it.

It's easy as can be to be vegan these days. Just make sure you get your vitamins. All the info it out there. Also, anything can be put in a negative light. Eat a ton of red meat. Bad. Eat a ton of eggs. Bad. Eat a lot of butter. Bad. Eat a ton of fake meat. Bad. Whatever.

ps - Look around America at all these fat overfed and yet somehow malnourished non-vegans. Especially the kids these days. They are sure doing it right.

Agenda ftw.

Exactly this

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

And there you go posting fake news and bad information. I thought the standard here was at least a little higher than Facebook!

MediaBiasedFactCheck

Sensational click bait, anti-immigrant BS news. Good work on that research.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join