It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish doctor warns: Vegan food may lead to mental retardation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

They add that 70 persons can hardly be considered representative for the entire Danish vegan population.

Small study seems the meat industries have become quite worried in many countries. The vegetarian "meats" are being bought up by real meat processors like the Field Roast was just sold and many others.

Vegans and omnivores The Danish researchers behind the study selected 70 vegans and compared their diets with those of 1,257 omnivores –
people who eat pretty much anything they like – to see which of them fared best with regard to Nordic nutritional recommendations. The participants made note of what they ate and the quantities of it in a four-day period. Vegans generally had lower intakes of sugars. This result contradicted earlier studies indicating that sugar intake is equal among the two groups of participants. The Danish researchers wonder whether this is because vegans eat less processed foods which have a tendency to be high in sugars. Vegans also consume more fibre and less trans fatty acids and saturated fats.

sciencenordic.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
In 2017...maybe someone is worried? Meat = Money
Politicians in Denmark go vegan to tackle climate change

The country has been pushing a move towards plant based protein. Last year, The Danish Council on Ethics, recommended the government implement a climate tax on red meat in an effort to lower red meat consumption and fight climate change. It's no secret that meat consumption is terrible for the environment - this year on Earth Day (April 22nd) Google changed their logo and recommended choosing plants over meat. You can get free vegan starter kits from many organisations:

www.riseofthevegan.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Doing Vegan correctly is HARD.

Most don't do Vegan correctly.

I totally agree with that. If one does vegan correctly, one can be very healthy.

I have canine teeth -- I am a carnivore.

That one I will have to disagree with. If you had the teeth of a true carnivore, you would be able to easily rip the fresh flesh off of a carcass, fur and all. I’d like to see you try that! Also, carnivores do not need anything but meat to thrive.

I think actually, humans would be considered omnivores, in that we can survive on both meats and vegetables.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Strange the most powerful animals are herbivores
Elephant
Rhino. ...
Hippo. ...
Bison. ...
Wildebeest. ...
Horse. ...

Notice they are not human? They evolved differently and have different dietary needs. Even they would die without the B12 they get from insects they eat.

Feed a lion veggies and see how that goes. We are born omnivores and can't transmute ourselves into herbivores just by willing it to be so and feeding infants and children diets lacking in basic needs is not wise and sometimes cruel.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I had a friend that was vegan up until recently.

He was getting sick and his doctor told him, " You need to eat some meat."

Looks like he was lacking nutrients and needed to eat more animal products.

So go meat!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The gluten I find interesting. Only 1% of us have any issue with gluten and the rest of us suffer zero negatives due to gluten. So why are so many on the no gluten train?

Like anything, moderation is key.

It's important to know that the food pyramid (US version) was created by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). This was done to make the key parts of diets our cash crops (corn, wheat, grains).

I'd say most dietitians/nutritionist would be in agreement we should eat more veggies, fruits, meat respectively than gluten containing products or rice.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Elephant
Rhino. ...
Hippo. ...
Bison. ...
Wildebeest. ...
Horse. ...

Does that mean Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, and Rosie are all vegans?

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I take no issue with meat being a small part of a persons diet. Less red meat is likely good and I personally prefer wild game, but not everyone has access to that. Personally I recommend people buy their meat directly from small farmers and ranchers. The animals are treated like pampered pets and you know what you are getting.

I don't care one way or the other about gluten, but I do think it was wrong to push the anti-gluten stuff by pretending it's bad for most of us, as it is not. That was just to sell more books and diet plans. The obsessive diet community is also about money. Fad diets are big money in fact.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I recommend people eat whatever they wish, obviously in moderation, but only when hungry.

It's the 3 meals a day plus, whatever else in between, that's what makes people obese and unhealthy.

I mean you don't drink when you are not thirsty, water anyway, why consume food when you are not hungry?

Habit and the pleasure factor would be my best guess.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

No argument here.

I was just pointing out that some people have problems with it because they make it such a large part of their diet.

Gluten isn't bad, carbs/gluten just shouldn't be the largest part of caloric intake as they don't carry as many vitamins, enzymes, and protein that our body need.

From what I've heard from the sane sounding nutritionists who don't want to cut out such large areas of diets, they say to grab equal parts veggies, fruit, and meat for each plate. Red meat isn't bad in moderation, and low fat proteins such as most birds/fish/pork depending on cut are fine to be a staple part of a meal after breakfast.

Disclamer: I don't live by like, any of that. I myself am on the seefood diet, if I see food, I eat it... But I'm an active middle aged male who burns the calories I consume.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Fad diets and many if not most supplements and health food items are about money. So called natural stores have shelves full of worthless, unneeded products that are overpriced they sell to people by trying to scare them into thinking they need it. Make a false health claim, put some innocuous dried weed into a capsule, charge a lot for it and line your pockets.

It used to be called snake oil which was sold by confidence people. That crap is still sold by confidence people. Some of it may be dangerous in fact.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Of course people should do as they wish, but this is about feeding children and babies a fad diet putting their health and lives at risk.

I suspect overall, eating more than three times a day, but in small portions is probably the best. It's not how many times we eat, it's what we eat, when we eat. I snack during the day, a few calories here, a few calories there and we only have one formal meal a day.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I love Seafood, especially mussels, Clappy-doos my favorite.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I even eat chicken bones.

I thought I was alone in this...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Elephant
Rhino. ...
Hippo. ...
Bison. ...
Wildebeest. ...
Horse. ...

strange.and were the top of the food chain because we can kill any of these animals at will, we actually have the ability to make any of them extinct, I would call that vastly more powerful.

Also they evolved differently

Are you being serious or trying to come off as this dense?

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm weird all the same, i can go a couple of days eating like a bird, and then decide to go on a 3 hour eating binge.

That being said im 5"10, 9 and 1/2 to 10 and 1/2 stone, never been overweight in my life, nor had any health or medical issues in my 43 years so far.

Metabolism is obviously a contributing factor where peoples food and energy concerns are at play.
edit on 7-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I've heard that one of the reasons homo erectus developed into homo sapien, was the introduction of more fat (and protein?) into the diet, a more concentrated source of energy, causing the brain to become larger over time. Plentiful sources of big game contributed to this.

If this is true, then I can see how a developing brain fueled by vegan fare would be nourisherd more like homo erectus than homo sapien, so...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah, we each have different needs I'm sure. We should all do what works best for us.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Each to there own does indeed seem to be the ticket.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join