It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish doctor warns: Vegan food may lead to mental retardation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Chief physician Allan M. Lund at Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen warns that vegan food can have severe consequences, such as epilepsy and ultimately developmental disorders.

Danish doctor warns: Vegan food may lead to mental retardation

I always have believed that a balanced diet was the best choice for me. A diet consisting of lean cuts of meat, fish, eggs and cheese, consumed in moderation, with lots of fruits, veggies and water, has kept my energy levels high and has contributed to my low cholesterol, high HDL levels and low blood pressure. When I turned 50, I stopped drinking soft drinks and stopped eating junk food, while cutting my sugar intake. Cutting sugar from my diet was the hardest thing for me to do and I still struggle with it...I just love my apple pie and need real sugar in my coffee.

My late sister-in-law was a strict vegan for nearly 30 years and never appeared real healthy to me, even though she was probably convinced she was healthier than her "meat eating" brother-in-law. Surprisingly, she died from colon cancer, which proves to me that a strict vegan diet doesn't always protect you from getting a dreadful disease, since genetics is a major factor. My advice to my kids has always been for them not to smoke, cut their sugar intake, eat a balanced diet with lots of veggies and fruit and consume meat, fish, eggs and alcohol in moderation. Life is short, so enjoy a thin slice of prime rib for Christmas dinner!

In Denmark, there is now a debate about the suitability of an increasing number of families giving their children only vegan food. Critics are opposed to scrapping all animal products in small children’s diet.

The problem is that poor food, which for example requires the addition of vitamin B12, can have serious consequences for children. And as a result several children on a vegan diet have been treated at Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen.

“Such a diet may involve developing different brain symptoms. With muscle weakness, poor contact and epilepsy. And in the long term mental retardation”, says chief physician Allan M. Lund to TV4.

According to Lund, one should not completely remove meat, eggs and dairy products from small children’s diet without first consulting with a dietician. In addition to developmental disorders, it can also cause nutritional deficiencies.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Imagine that... I'd put Starbucks lattes right up there with that. Judging by the standards we're seeing from all these celebrity vegans, it's hard to deny that it doesn't lead to retardation.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I like vegan food, but then I like all food.
Especially steak or pizza or steak and pizza!
I even eat chicken bones.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

This kinda explains a recent thread....wink wink nudge nudge

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well, that's just sitting there waiting for the punchline.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Life is short, so enjoy a thin slice of prime rib for Christmas dinner!

I say, "Life is short so eat what you want. You're going to die anyway."

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So someone may have finally proved it. Cool.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Nope I'll just let it ride

HAHAHAH

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There are ways to get what you need in a Vegan diet but it is not an easy task. Most of the herbivores in nature are not completely vegan, when eating the grasses they also consume bugs on the grasses. Feeding animals a vegan diet in a barn setting does not give all of the nutrients they get from eating in the wild. And of course, deer are not that smart, they sit in the road when they see headlights, mesmerized by the lights and often get hit. A weisel is a very crafty being, so are foxes, they both eat both meat and veggies, even cats outside eat grasses when needed, certain plant chemistries are medicine to them.

I have some major problems when I start to eat a lot of veggies, I need meats, eggs, and even milk products once in a while even though I am allergic to the protein in milk.

Boosting the veggy and fruit in many people's diets can also cause problems with health. Many diseases have roots in enzymes to process plants not being abundent enough to boost plant based foods. Epigenetics, a record of your ancestors eating habits, has to match your diet. Some families have screwed things up in diet for many generations and highly processed foods can also really mess with our ability to properly metabolize foods. One person can eat a brand of chicken strips and another person can't, just because of one particular spice in them.

The lowering of inteligence associated with veganism in some people is reversible most times, but if the mother has the baby in the womb, not so much. Remember too that if a kid eats a lot of berries, especially rasberries and eats a lot of soy stuff and other estrogen promoting chemistries, the girls can actually have early puberty, and boys who eat bananas will have raised testosterone levels. I do not think babies need to worry about getting too much beer though.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Life is short, so enjoy a thin slice of prime rib for Christmas dinner!

I say, "Life is short so eat what you want. You're going to die anyway."

A highly processed junk food diet can lead to many years of suffering. It also leaves you broke most times because doctors and pharmacies get all your spare money. I have seen it a lot in my life, I see a lot of people who avoid this having way less or no meds and clearer thinking.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Who funded this research, Danish bacon?

I can see where he is coming from though, most of the vegetarians and vegans I know are underweight and sallow looking. The ones carrying a bit of weight are cheats I'm guessing.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

like any dietary regieme - veganism can go wrong

the problem is - that its seems so easy to get veganism rwrong

the people i know personally - who are vegans - and mmost deffo NOT retarded , un-fit or ill

are spending a mind blowing ammount of time effort and money on thier lifestyle [ yup - a £125 / week food bill - in once case ]

the unhealthiest folks i know - are idiots - and slobs - who eat burgers etc -

the study cited in OP mostly addresses childrenss health - and devvelopmental issues

its hard enough to get kids to eat any sort of sensible diet at early age - never mind - the sort of dedication that my " better " vegal friends have

just feed the rug rats - the best meeat cuts availiable - and let them choose veganism for themselves - as adults

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There is a right and wrong way to do almost anything.

Doing Vegan correctly is HARD.

Most don't do Vegan correctly.

I have canine teeth -- I am a carnivore.

However, I now use grass fed anti-biotic meat.

I've also eliminated all sugars, dairy, gluten, alcohol, coffee, processed foods, sodas, etc.

I juice my veggies, after thoroughly washing them.

This and going to the gym 5 days a week.

Except for some natural aging, I'm in great health.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I can't say I have ever met a vegan that seemed to be in perfect health.
They all seem to be a little moody and anemic.
Eat, drink and be merry.
Tomorrow you might be dead.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I am danish and I believe this doctor suffers from mental retardation.
Perhaps he should eat less meat

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The gluten I find interesting. Only 1% of us have any issue with gluten and the rest of us suffer zero negatives due to gluten. So why are so many on the no gluten train?

More on topic here, I see something approximating a hunter gatherers diet to make the most sense. It's what we evolved to eat, what are bodies evolved to function on. Being a Vegan is not natural by any means.

I remember a couple of years ago watching some program I forget the name of where a group of people were on a survival trip in the mountains in Canada if I remember right. One of the group was a Vegan which caused huge issues for the group. She became weak while the others were still thriving and became a huge burden on them all. They had managed to get an elk, so their main issue was pandering to the Vegan who was fading quickly trying to survive on just wild edible plants. Had they not made her quit, she would have starved while the rest did just fine. Instead of just quitting she became emotional and angry at the other people acting like somehow they were wrong for wanting to let her just starve and bring them all down due to some sort of fanaticism. She looked anorexic at the start and went downhill from there.

I realize that everyone cant do it, but it seems to me a diet of wild game and fish along with plenty of fruits and vegetables is the way to go and the true healthy diet. Give your body what it needs and avoid what it does not need. It needs some meat to thrive.

When I see the stuff about body builders and the like who are vegans I call bull. Someone is making stuff up. 5 to 7 thousand calories a day just to maintain weight and doing it without fat or meat protein and still be healthy? I have a tough time swallowing that.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

This doctor is the one who is retarded

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
So vegetables...You ARE what you EAT.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Strange the most powerful animals are herbivores
Elephant
Rhino. ...
Hippo. ...
Bison. ...
Wildebeest. ...
Horse. ...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
I am danish and I believe this doctor suffers from mental retardation.
Perhaps he should eat less meat

I've seen a few news stories over the years where parents put an infant on Vegan diet and the infant died. I recall one where they were charged with manslaughter I think it was for killing their own infant by starvation. More than a few Vegans are fanatics.

Some examples-
LINK

The 7 month old weighed just 9.47 pounds when he died in 2014, which is half the size of the average baby his age..

..Both parents are both facing up to 18 months in prison for contributing to the death of their son.

Not the one I'm thinking of but an example.

LINK

Paramedics found Woyah's lifeless body on the floor of her parents' living room in May 2003 after her parents placed a frantic 911 call. The little girl's body was described as "emaciated" in a medical report, with ribs clearly visible through her stretched skin. An autopsy showed Woyah never learned to sit, stand or lift her head on her own. In the weeks before her death, she had trouble keeping her eyes open, and they would spontaneously roll back into her head. She weighed less than 7 pounds when she died, just a few ounces more than when she was born and less than half of an average 6-month-old.

Prosecutors say the Andressohns starved Woyah to death by restricting her to a raw food diet, also known as a vegan diet or a "living foods lifestyle," feeding her only wheat grass, coconut water and milk made from almonds.

"Those parents caused their child Woyah to suffer malnutrition so severe that it turned that child into a bag of skin and bones," said assistant Florida state attorney Herbert Walker in court. "Baby Woyah's body was eating itself because it wasn't getting enough nutrients."

It's one thing for adults to play around with their diets, but not feeding a child what it needs is just plain wrong and fanatical.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join