It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cortez Saves Comedy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I fondly remember many years ago, when comedians were comedic. I remember the first time I heard George Carlin's "seven dirty words you can never say on TV" skit. I laughed so hard I almost fell in the floor. Robin Williams had this way of just letting his mind soar and spewing forth a stream of comedy that was unparalleled. Redd Foxx could start a stand-up routine from full stop and have an audience holding their sides from laughter by the end. Sam Kinison, Richard Pryor, Don Rickles... they were geniuses at making someone laugh! And of course, we can't forget Saturday Night Live... John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner... I can't even remember them all at one time, but every single one of them was hilarious! The movies gave us "Ghostbusters," "Animal House," and "The Blues Brothers."

Comedy was a great icebreaker, a way for us to laugh at ourselves, a release of tensions. It was spontaneous, irrelevant, inventive. But then somewhere, something changed.

Somehow, Kathy Griffin became a 'comedian' for flirting with Anderson Cooper, then tried to convince us all that being a terrorist was funny. She failed. Michelle Wolfe thought bad-mouthing people was humorous... it wasn't. Saturday Night Live became more embarrassing than funny. A remake of "Ghostbusters" themed towards female 'equality' bombed. "Dumb and Dumber" became a hit, despite going so far away form reality it seemed just... sad. Comedic routines became excuses for political bashing... Whoopi Goldberg became angry and bitter.

What happened? No, really, what happened?

I just recently had a conversation with another member in another thread about the funny memes surrounding Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. We've all seen them. Cortez has made some pretty idiotic statements, and the memes play on those. But really, what politician hasn't made dumb statements before? What (besides the EYES, lol) makes Cortez different?

It's simple. We, and by we I mean those who hold a conservative outlook on life, have been denied comedy. We have lost all of the major comedic outlets... even Comedy Central is not very funny most of the time any more. Bill Maher is a political pundit now. The older comedians have either died off or retired early, probably because their brand of comedy would be considered 'offensive' in today's PC climate. Bill Cosby will die in prison. Jeff Foxworthy doesn't do much any more. Larry the Cable Guy really needs someone to play off of. That leaves who? Bill Engvall and Jeff Dunham... and they just do a special once a year or less.

We've been denied our comedy. All that is left in its place is hate, and hate is never funny.

So along comes this young upstart millennial named Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. She is young and appears naive, yet somehow she manages to primary a long-standing Representative. I really don't think she hates anyone either... she just seems clueless about life outside her life-bubble. And now she's been thrown into the cutthroat world of politics. It's comedic gold! It's the Beverly Hillbillies all over again, from the other direction. And it comes at a time when many are starving for something to laugh at again.

So Cortez is the butt of all those memes. She's become a punch line. The very attitudes she endorses wholeheartedly (political correctness) have led to this. She gets no sympathy for that very reason: this is a self-inflicted wound. Comedy never left; it was just in limbo, looking for a new target. It found one.

So, to everyone complaining about how terrible conservatives are for mercilessly berating Cortez... just hush. You created the environment for this with all the PC nonsense, and she happily stepped right into the middle of the spotlight. Now she's our comic relief, and nothing can change that. As long as she remains who she is, she is now and forever more the butt of jokes. We're going to laugh at something... and since the PC culture took our comedy away, we're going to laugh at Cortez. There's nothing that can stop us from laughing at her. You caused it. Now live with that!

(Memes are welcome, btw.
)

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

PC culture has only hurt stamp up. Anti PC has thrived on television shows.
But yes your point is spot on. Maybe make the switch for the time being.

+54 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
She's a national treasure.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I had a nervous breakdown a couple of years ago. It was severe enough that my son called an ambulance, I was seriously short circuiting. I remember hardly anything of the incident, but do recall with great clarity one of the EMT's say to my son that I just need to laugh more.

I see this assault on humor as one of the more dangerous aspects of a PC culture. Dialing up the stress and anger can only lead to more tragedy, personal and public.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You forgot about the National Lampoons Vacations...

Having said that,

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

So, to everyone complaining about how terrible conservatives are for mercilessly berating Cortez... just hush.

Berating would be a whole flight of stairs up from what you are doing, and by the way, mockery and comedy are not the same. A joke is not the same as a deceptive lie. Putting words in one's mouth, which is something you have a habit of doing, attributing quotes to someone that never spoke those words, is deception. Allowing people to believe that your mockery is justified by serious infractions of logic, is blatantly lying to demean this person and their supporters.

If you have a problem with AOC politics, then address them, not some made up low IQ memes, that people are pulling from their arses!
edit on 7-12-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

So, to everyone complaining about how terrible conservatives are for mercilessly berating Cortez... just hush.

Berating would be a whole flight of stairs up from what you are doing, and by the way, mockery and comedy are not the same. A joke is not the same as a deceptive lie. Putting words in one's mouth, which is something you have a habit of doing, attributing quotes to someone that never spoke those words, is deception. Allowing people to believe that your mockery is justified by serious infractions of logic, is blatantly lying to demean this person and/or their supporters.

If you have a problem with AOC politics, then address them, not some made up low IQ memes, that people are pulling from their arses!

Wow, someone got triggered😣

Soy will do that to you.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Google images sez: THESE MEMES DO NOT EXIST!

www.google.com... ygC&biw=1471&bih=796

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

The tunnelvision is astounding.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Awwww.... someone need some sugar with the medicine?

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I find mockery funny and so it’s comedy to me.
Cortez is funny and so are you!

Deception is also know as magic🤷‍♂️. It can be fun and entertaining, humorous even.
Isn’t a joke excepting a certain thing but receiving somthing different then what you expect? Getting somthing you don’t expect often makes you laugh.
🔑 (jingle)
Sookiechacha

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

So, to everyone complaining about how terrible conservatives are for mercilessly berating Cortez...

Who's complaining? She's like 1/100000th as meme worthy as doofus in chief. The best part is she couldn't outdo Trump in pure idiotic magnificence if she tried (but then again nobody could)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

ponder the realities

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

ponder the realities

What realities? Why don't you believe my "Hello, I'm Xuenchen and I think farts can solve America's energy crisis" meme's i've made for you? I have it on the highest authority that those are your ACTUAL WORDS!!!one!!!eleventy!!!!

BOOM! Checkmate! Can't be beat!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

They created the environment for it, which is lamentable, but I don't see how that is an excuse to maintain it.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

ponder the realities

What realities? Why don't you believe my "Hello, I'm Xuenchen and I think farts can solve America's energy crisis" meme's i've made for you? I have it on the highest authority that those are your ACTUAL WORDS!!!one!!!eleventy!!!!

Wayfarer doesn't have what I need...........

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
Google images sez: THESE MEMES DO NOT EXIST!

www.google.com... ygC&biw=1471&bih=796

You just googled her name, add "memes" and enjoy.

www.google.com... &gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.1.0l5.2280.2287..4234...0.0..1.172.308.0j2......0....1.-zGtZY8JQvg&ei=nLYKXIiYBcry_AbW052QAg&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS753US753

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Berating would be a whole flight of stairs up from what you are doing, and by the way, mockery and comedy are not the same. A joke is not the same as a deceptive lie. Putting words in one's mouth, which is something you have a habit of doing, attributing quotes to someone that never spoke those words, is deception. Allowing people to believe that your mockery is justified by serious infractions of logic, is blatantly lying to demean this person and their supporters.

Ooooh! There it is!!

I hate to break it to you, Booboo, but You are almost as hilarious as ol' Crazy-Eyes.

I hate it for you, but Jesus, you guys just keep bringing it on yourselves!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

So, to everyone complaining about how terrible conservatives are for mercilessly berating Cortez...

Who's complaining? She's like 1/100000th as meme worthy as doofus in chief. The best part is she couldn't outdo Trump in pure idiotic magnificence if she tried (but then again nobody could)

My Dad can whip YOUR Dad!

I know you are, but what am I?

Aren't you Precious!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

ponder the realities

Awww! You need a time-out?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join