It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly Mythical 3-Foot-Long Swamp Salamander Is Officially a Real Species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
We need a new forum about creatures ? I really did not know where to place this article.. Anyway I have never heard of a 2.5 much less a 3 foot long Salamander with no hind legs. It is now an officially named creature from the deep south of America.. By the way America is the capitol and melting pot for more salamanders than just about anyplace on the known earth.

The captured salamander was visually striking, with skin dappled with reticulations instead of the standard dull, dark shade. Though, to be sure the siren was something unique, Graham and Steen would need more specimens.

Five years later, after much searching in the region, the researchers caught three more sirens in a Florida pond. Armed with these specimens, along with three others that were caught in Alabama in the 70s and preserved in a museum collection, the team compared the unusual sirens’ physical features, and DNA with other species.

It soon became clear that the salamander was a distinct, new species, dubbed Siren reticulata. Beyond its reticulated skin, the species has a smaller head than its relatives, and many more rib-hugging “costal grooves” along its sides.

earther.gizmodo.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Pretty cool, I used to be stationed in the area it was found. Fun place.

I remember watching some nature show years ago, and I think it was in China they have huge 3 ft salamanders.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

the olm grows to 300mm - in european caes - so 60cm salamanders in a environment like the US SE is pretty std

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

"We need a new forum about creatures ? "

Already have one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on R272018-12-07T07:27:40-06:00k2712Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

i ASSUME he meant - a new sub for verified & documented new species // sub-species [ and new insights into known species ]

at the moment - such threads are quite widley scattered

and its my opinion that stuff like this should be seperated from the crypto sub - to avoid the craziness and woo that permetes many threads there

also stuffs like thread would fit best in a sub dedicated to this sort of science

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I thought this was proven years ago.. dude grabbing a huge sally... ? ?

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
THat salamader is pretty neat. I thought only those axolotyl guys looked like that. I learn something new about every 5 days or so.

Dont forget about the hellbender. They are found all over the eastern US. I saw one once as a kid and it totally freaked me out.

infogalactic.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Yeah! That's the one I was thinking about.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
We have some lesser sirens in our yard, awfully tiny ones but they do look exactly like sirens. We have some salamanders that aren't supposed to be around here and lots of varieties of tree frogs and toads. It makes it hard to cut the grass, frogs and salamander guts flying all over. The granddaughter goes ahead of me sometimes and picks up the tree frogs and toads, one time she picked thirteen out of the yard for one mowing. Most times it is just seven or eight and I keep a stick on the riding mower to try to coax the amimals onto the already mowed area.

Yeah, some people believe frogs are evil....they keep those people who misinterpreted the bible from coming around. In the bible god sends the frogs, now how can a frog be evil if god sends them to help Moses?

Notice that through history people said these newly discovered creatures are monsters......Illegitimate fear.
edit on 7-12-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Holy cow, a new species? We used to catch these in muddy creeks when I was young. We called them mud puppies and I looked them up years ago and the were called Amphiumae. Be careful with them, they will bite, hard...

Amphiuma
edit on 7-12-2018 by NightFlight because: added moinfo.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Now that's how you design a sensor array.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The title says 3 foot and the post says 2.5. I bet the next article will say 4...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Good man

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadlink

Good man

It sure makes mowing the grass difficult with all the creatures in it. I have a big weedeater I use often, when the wildflowers are out the yard is full of bumblebees and honeybees. The flowers have spiders that change color when they get on a different color flower too. The birds make nests in the trees here too. With the birds and frogs, there are lots less bugs other than bumblebees, honey bees, and some dragon flies around. There are lots of wolf spiders too, actually spiders of every kind but they don't bother us much. Strange how I live among some of the best killers in the world yet they don't bother us, they stay focused on their prey. I do not spray any insecticides anymore yet there are now way less mosquitoes now that bite us than there were when I used to spray it, that is really odd.

Darn deer give us a problem though, we have to keep going to the store and buying carrots and potatoes for them. Twenty pounds of potatoes and five pounds of carrots only last about a week.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Sort of sounds idyllic to me ... i also try to save wildlife around my house and garden, or should i say i did till i retired after a bad accident. I have a gardener now as my hands wrists are a bit knackered , i did however stop busy traffic to rescue a young hedgehog the other day that nobody was stopping for... so i stopped the traffic and put him in the nearest garden, as i turned around expecting scowels off the other drivers i was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of thumbs up

edit on 8-12-2018 by Quadlink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadlink

Funny how after living your lifetime, of being led to believe humans are superior to everything else and have special rights, you finally realize how society's beliefs are about just as real as Santa Clause.

I always respected nature but was afraid of being considered a tree hugger or animal rights activist. I am not going to go out there and disrupt society but will state that I believe we are just a part of nature and have no rights to abuse our power. A majority of people believe that they are not doing nature any harm, that miners and loggers are the bad people. Yet they need their new toys and furniture and travel all over the place which is actually causing loggers and miners to work more to supply what they want.

Our society is actually sort of delusional, I noticed that ever since I was a kid, but being one person who sees it cannot change much. Don't make waves or people will start calling you nuts, I may not like to kill frogs and bees, but the majority of people will smash a bees nest after spraying it if it is by their home and kill as many frogs as they can so they do not step on them in the yard. Remember, normal is what most people do, I am not normal by any means, keeping my beliefs secret in public makes me able to appear normal though.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I went to the PA mountians every year got mud puppys and the red looking one mud puppys are brown and have feathery looking guills .
the one in the photo was lots of .
want o be 8 years old again lol .

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Indeed, i fully understand your "secret compassion" i used to be a bit like that but now at this stage in life (54) i just birate all the spider squashers so to speak, the earth's wildlife has enough to put up with without (special) folks making it worse.
I would hunt and kill if i had to... but as i don't have to i respect the wildlife and try not to harm it.

Cheers Ricky

new topics

top topics

join