It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis police station's Christmas tree called racially insensitive

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: LSU2018

How are cigarettes racist?
Do they only kill black people?

the cigs were Newports, so......

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I think the whole getting a lump of coal in your stocking if you're a bad kid is racist.
FYI: Coal is black.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Shouldn't people be more offended that a symbol celebrating the birth of christ is decorated with smokes, beer and crime scene tape?

Especially considering the chief of police is an African American.
how does a tree symbolize christ?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Reminds me of when somebody drew a political cartoon of Barack Hussein Obama that depicted him as a monkey and the progressives cried racism. He wasn't the first president to be depicted as a monkey in a political cartoon. I never thought that race played into the depiction when I saw it, but then the progressives whiled about racism.

That told me that the progressives thought of him in racist terms a being like a monkey. I never did. (If I thought of him as a monkey, it's because I saw him as incompetent as president.)

Progressives are projecting.

That's why they're losing.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Shouldn't people be more offended that a symbol celebrating the birth of christ is decorated with smokes, beer and crime scene tape?

doesn't anyone know history? Jesus had the First Christmas Tree. It was in the cartoons, damn.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

How does a "Christmas tree" symbolize christ?
Christ-mas...

Seriously?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

How are cigarettes racist?
Do they only kill black people?

the cigs were Newports, so......

Well...that changes the equation.

This tree is bigotted against all white strippers named Amber.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Christ was crucified on a cross made out of a tree....Duh!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Maybe it was one of those gift trees and the public gave it to the police. The officers get to pick something of the tree as their gift. Nice and thoughtful neighbors.
edit on 12/6/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

If you see malt liquor and automatically think of a certain race, it is you who is probably the racist.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Some of the ornaments were depictions of lynchings. It's was a bit over the top.

Crime scene photos don't seem too jolly and festive to me.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Turning off the BS spigot for a moment, I'll tell you what this was.

First responders are often on 12-hour shifts, and some cannot legally leave their post. Dispatchers, fire fighters, ER teams. Etc.

There is a tradition in these work-communities of improvising your own department's holiday decoration out of whatever is your stock in trade.

So firemen will hang their boots over a heater grate as if they were stockings hung on a fireplace.

I saw a Hospital ER where the made a jack-o-lantern out of medical supply packaging, and handed out candy (tootsie rolls) to trick or treaters (police and ambulance crews finishing deliveries there) from a clean bedpan.

I heard about an engineering team at sea in the navy, who made a Christmas tree out of an origami operations manual, with working LEDs for Christmas lights.

I've seen a legal department use pink forms and green forms to make a paper chain where you remove one link every day until Christmas.

People who are trapped at work during the holidays, with high comeraderie, find ways to express what binds them and at the same time sets them apart from the public. Go to any first responder location and you'll see some version of this, usually out of the public eye.
edit on 6-12-2018 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

If you see malt liquor and automatically think of a certain race, it is you who is probably the racist.

Bingo.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Some of the ornaments were depictions of lynchings. It's was a bit over the top.

Crime scene photos don't seem too jolly and festive to me.

It was tape, not photos, but you're right when you say it's not festive. I wouldn't put anything on my tree other than Christmas ornaments but more to the point, there was nothing racist about that tree.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Christ-mas...

Seriously?

Christ's Mass doesn't call for a pagan tree.

Jeremiah 10:3
For the practices of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter. 5Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

maybe it was Newport menthol...

edit: network dude beat me to it, though i havent watched the vid

edit on 6-12-2018 by szino9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Around here we call them Shreveports... Heh

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Christ-mas...

Seriously?

Christ's Mass doesn't call for a pagan tree.

Jeremiah 10:3
For the practices of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter. 5Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."

Look, I'm not trying to justify the existence of Christmas trees. How or why they have become a symbol of Christmas which is a celebration of the birth of christ is irrelevant.

The fact is that people look at this tree as a decorative symbol celebrating the birth of jesus.

en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-12-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
i am now convinced that people are just looking at crap - and going through mental check-lists - till ythey " discover " why a thing offends the,m

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Every year I hear stories like this at Christmas time. There's another one, a nativity scene at a church with the baby Jesus in a cage to try and make a point about immigration.

I find both offensive. They seem to forget what Christmas is about: the birth of our Savior, the Lord Jesus. The freedom from divine judgement. But then, just as I'm about to do the 'normal' thing and lash out with "How DARE they..." I remember something from my youth. It was a very long time ago, but the song below by Tex Ritter was always one of Dad's favorites.

Back then, one of the worst things one could do concerning religion was to just bring a deck of cards into a church, much less play with them. Cards were seen as being of the devil, and they were thought to lead to gambling and sin. Yeah, I know, it was a different time, but that's not what's important. What's important is buried in the lyrics, which I transcribed below (I know some people seem to be allergic to classic country music).

The Deck of Cards
by Tex Ritter

During the North African campaign, a group of soldier boys had been on a long hike. They came to a town called "Bezert."

The next morning being Sunday, some of the boys went to church. A Sergeant commanded the boys in church, and after the Chaplain had read the prayer the text was taken up next. Those of the boys who had prayer books took them out, but this one boy only had a deck of cards, so he spread them out.

The Sergeant saw the cards and said, "Soldier, put away those cards!"

After the services were over the boy was taken prisoner, brought before the Provost Marshall. The Marshall said, "Sergeant, why have you brought this man here?"

"For playing cards in church, sir."

"And what have you to say for yourself, son?"

"Much, sir," replied the soldier.

The Marshall said, "I hope so, because if not, I shall punish you more than any man was ever punished."

The soldier boy said, "Sir, I have been on a long march for six days; I had neither Bible nor prayer book. But I hope to satisfy you, sir, with the purity of my intentions." And with that, the boy began his story.

"You see, sir, when I look at the ace in my deck of cards, it reminds me that there is but one God. The deuce tells me that the Bible is divided into two parts: the Old and the New Testaments. When I see the trey I think of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. When I look at the four I think of the four evangelists who preached the Gospel; there were Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. When I see the five it reminds me of the five wise virgins who trimmed their lamps. There were ten of them; five were wise and were saved, and five were foolish and were shut out. When I look at the six I know that in six days God made this great heaven and earth. The seven tells me that on the seventh day He rested from his work and called it Holy. When I see the eight I think of the eight righteous persons God saved when He destroyed this earth; Noah, his wife, their three sons, and their wives. And when I see the nine I think of the lepers our savior cleansed, and nine out of the ten didn't even thank Him. Of course, when I see the ten I always remember the Ten Commandments: the Ten Commandments that God handed down to Moses on the the tablets of stone. And when I see the king, sir, I know there is but one King of Heaven, God Almighty. When I see the queen I think of the blessed Virgin Mary, the Queen of Heaven. And the jack, or knave, is the devil.

"When I count the spots on my deck of cards I find three hundred and sixty-five, the number of days in a year. There are fifty-two cards, the number of weeks in a year. There are thirteen tricks, the number of weeks in a quarter. There are four suits, the number of weeks in a month, and twelve picture cards, the number of months in a year. So you see, sir, my deck of cards serve me not only as a Bible, almanac, but also a prayer book."

Not my place to judge. Not anyone's place to judge. No one knows what was in the hearts of the police officers who placed this tree, nor the church leaders who caged baby Jesus. Live and let live, at this time of celebration and good tidings of great joy.

Merry Christmas to all.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join