It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis police station's Christmas tree called racially insensitive

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

A Minneapolis police station's Christmas tree gained attention after community members said its ornaments were racially insensitive. A picture posted to social media showed the tree in the lobby of the Fourth Precinct's station decorated with crime-scene tape, cans of malt liquor and cigarette packs.

Can someone explain to me how the police station was racist instead of the people who saw crime scene tape, malt liquor, cigarettes, and related it to blacks?

Video can be found at the link. One woman was almost in tears when she talked about it. Kudos for the crocodile tears she attempted.

Racist Christmas Tree Link

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

How are cigarettes racist?
Do they only kill black people?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Eh, I don't see anything racist about it.

A lot of the people who get arrested drink malt liquor and smoke cigarettes, regardless of race.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

A Minneapolis police station's Christmas tree gained attention after community members said its ornaments were racially insensitive. A picture posted to social media showed the tree in the lobby of the Fourth Precinct's station decorated with crime-scene tape, cans of malt liquor and cigarette packs.

Can someone explain to me how the police station was racist instead of the people who saw crime scene tape, malt liquor, cigarettes, and related it to blacks?

Video can be found at the link. One woman was almost in tears when she talked about it. Kudos for the crocodile tears she attempted.

Alright, where does a person get a ticket to get off this # show?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Sounds like they just used things they found around the station more like....i'm sure there's plenty of smokes and booze available in a police station

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

My wife watches MTV (gag) and they always have those stupid TRUTH commercials on there. One actually said that the cigarette companies target blacks and other minorities. People really believe cigarettes only kill blacks.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Takis!!!!! Love those.

But if anyone thinks this tree is racist, then you yourself sir (or ma'am), are indeed racist.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

My wife watches MTV (gag) and they always have those stupid TRUTH commercials on there. One actually said that the cigarette companies target blacks and other minorities. People really believe cigarettes only kill blacks.

They don't believe that cigarettes only kill black people, but they believe that they market a lot more heavily to that demographic. It might be true, or it might be that, that demographic uses those products more. Which came first the chicken or egg...

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

So here's what I'm wondering, is the police station being racially insensitive because of the decorations used, or are the people who are offended being racist because they associate black people with cigarettes, malt liquor and police tape??

When I saw it, my first thought wasn't that it's racist. My first thought was that it's decorated with things they know. They see and use police tape a lot and I'm sure many of them actually smoke cigarettes and drink malt liquor.

I don't know, I'm just a minority that doesn't see racism everywhere like everyone else in this country, so I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I agree. Anyone finding racism for this tree is a seeing things through racist eyes because they're looking at those items and automatically thinking about black people.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I was watching The daily show and they talked about this. I thought it was hilarious man.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Alright, where does a person get a ticket to get off this # show?

When this country can go back to the way it was in the 80's and people aren't focused solely on racism. In my opinion at least.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tekaran
Takis!!!!! Love those.

But if anyone thinks this tree is racist, then you yourself sir (or ma'am), are indeed racist.

And the Bud Ice, we used to drink that back in 2000 in our early 20's. Once you got past the first ice cold one, the rest went down smooth.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Some of the ornaments were depictions of lynchings. It's was a bit over the top.

edit on 6-12-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Shouldn't people be more offended that a symbol celebrating the birth of christ is decorated with smokes, beer and crime scene tape?

Especially considering the chief of police is an African American.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

"For example, what does the billboard say?:
"Come and play, come and play!
Forget about the movement!""

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think the whole getting a lump of coal in your stocking if you're a bad kid is racist.
FYI: Coal is black.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

They don't believe that cigarettes only kill black people, but they believe that they market a lot more heavily to that demographic. It might be true, or it might be that, that demographic uses those products more. Which came first the chicken or egg...

That's not how Millennials see it though. I see cigarette ads at every gas station I stop at and I don't stop at the stations in run down neighborhoods. I guess by using minorities, they think it will get more national attention.

link   
Reminds me of when somebody drew a political cartoon of Barack Hussein Obama that depicted him as a monkey and the progressives cried racism. He wasn't the first president to be depicted as a monkey in a political cartoon. I never thought that race played into the depiction when I saw it, but then the progressives whiled about racism.

That told me that the progressives were the racists because they thought of him as being like a monkey. I never did. (If I thought of him as a monkey, it's because I saw him as incompetent as president.)

Progressives are projecting.
:
edit on 2018 12 06 by incoserv because: Fixed typo.

link   
Dang double post!
edit on 2018 12 06 by incoserv because: double post.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join