It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Devotion to Trump is based on emotional patterns most people grow out of by age five

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: C0bzz

Well gosh... I don't want people thinking I'm only as smart as a 5 year old. I better vote against Trump next time in order to avoid intellectuals with degrees making fun of me. Cause those people are like, really smart and they know what they're talking about. I usually do not know what they're talking about but that's okay because that one super smart lady explained that we commoners cant always understand them because they are literally so smart that we just can't comprehend their intelligence... but they definitely know better than we do, so I think it's probably just best if we just do as they say without arguing or asking too many questions.

I mean they said it so it must be true. So come on people, you are making us look like 5 year olds if you vote for Trump! It just gives me a Lot of anxiety worrying about what these really smart people think of us, and I just wish you guys would help me out and just, Not vote for Trump ever again!

I just want some kind of approval from someone smarter and more successful than I am, is that too much to ask for?? Can't we just do this, so we can get our pat on the head from the masters? Cant you all just imagine with me how amazing that will be to have these amazing wonderful people look at us and say "You made the right choice."

Let me tell you about these people and see if I can change your mind for a moment. These are the people who are tackling the most serious problems facing humanity, ok? I'm talking about Manspreading, Mansplaining, Christmas songs that maybe arent the most empowering...cause every song I ever hear has to be totally empowering on all levels.

I mean, what more do you need to hear? Who cares about the economy or immigration... we need to make sure offensive jokes are not being told near grown adults on college campuses.

VOTE "anyone but Trump" 2020 so we can take care of the problems that REALLY MATTER!
Can I just say, “you had me at hello” with this post... 👍😊

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: C0bzz

Yale psychiatrist explains how devotion to Trump is based on emotional patterns most people grow out of by age five

Raw Story: In your opinion, what are the emotions driving Donald Trump’s base?

Bandy X. Lee: The sense of grandiose omnipotence that he displays seems especially appealing to his emotionally-needy followers. No matter what the world says, he fights back against criticism, continues to lie in the face of truth, and above all is still president. What matters is that he is winning, not whether he is honest or law-abiding. This may seem puzzling to the rest of us, but when you are overcome with feelings of powerlessness, this type of cartoonish, exaggerated force is often more important than true ability. This is the more primitive morality, as we call it, of “might makes right,” which in normal development you grow out of by age five.

But, in this case, Trump appeals to that childlike degree of emotional development? Why?

Strongman-type personalities are very appealing in times of socioeconomic or political crisis, as the population is less able to think rationally but is rather overcome with fear, or desire to draw strength from fantastical ideas. This happens to normal people in times of stress, or to people whose development has been stunted because of emotional injury. The problem is, the person who promises the impossible and states, “I alone can fix it,” and gives himself an A+ on his performance, is not a strong person who can deliver but the opposite. So Mr. Trump’s “base“ looks for someone to rescue them and their intense yearning does not allow them to see through his deception, while Mr. Trump senses better than anyone their needs (they are his) and makes use of them for his own benefit—even as he disdains his supporters for being so gullible. In this manner, they fulfill each other’s emotional needs in a mutually unhealthy way.

www.rawstory.com...

This is absolutely true. From browsing ATS, the majority of pro-Trump posts here are simply rants at so called "liberals" without any regard for the truth. Rather than looking towards the future, it's "make america great again". Rather than have an actual vision, they simply bark like dogs at "liberals". Rather than face the truth, they lie and make it sound like they are "winning".

In reality they are emotionally needy. Weak. Fragile. And terrified of losing their power.

The question is to the reader. Are you a 5 year old or are you an adult?

How many of the replies here are going to be dog barks at "liberals", "leftists", "globalists" and crazy insane rants, rather than a rational vision for the future?

I find it hilarious that people are getting paid to do studies on why people support trump.

I'd say that is more of a 5 year old response than supporting someone you believe in.

I don't!

I find it REPREHENSIBLE!

And, I don't care if it's Hillary, Trump, or anyone else for that matter! The fact that these self-proclaimed experts are pontificating about whatever they 'think' is one thing, but doing it on my nickle (i.e. taxpayer dime) is CATEGORICALLY NOT ACCEPTABLE!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Someone’s political leanings does not change their expertise. This professor understands the subject matter better than you or I do. So, when you attempt to discredit him by labeling him a “leftist” you only discredit your own position.

Not really. People with extreme ideologies and biases aren't any different than those who are greedy. No amount of education or commons sense is going to stop you from reaching your goal no matter how much you have to lose or how much you end up hurting yourself (even when you know it may be a possibility). This is definitely an area where all common sense has a tendency to get thrown to the wayside.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

this isnt unique to trump supporters its every human on earth!

We humans need to stop listening to our ego's demands and be conscious and aware of our world and the other beings that live in it !

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Generally 5 year olds know right from wrong some of us just still hold on tho those teachings.

Not called the Right for nothing.

Happy Friday!!

Headed to the woods and a low of 16 tonight so will need some extra wood.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

and its around this time you learn that words have more than one meaning eh!

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

edit on 7-12-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Except in this case, many of the same arguments you are making about Trump supporters were made by people watching Obama supporters.

It is a legitimate point. It was the Obama presidency that produced art like this:

Along with all the others with subtle light halos around his head and headlines calling him the "second coming" or "lightbringer" or "messiah" etc. There was also a range of pop culture products that went with his election, talk of renaming schools before he'd taken office, and a Nobel Prize given before he'd done single thing of note while in office.

There was a stadium speech with fake Greek Columns!

If Trump has a cult of personality surrounding him, so did Obama, and it's perfectly legit to compare the two on those merits, not whataboutism. That you don't want to discuss shows you know there was a cult of personality around Obama and don't want to admit it.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008
a reply to: underpass61

Rather than being concerned about Trump, who I might add is actually doing some smart things for all Americans, folks should be concerned about the quality, or in this case the very low quality of the instructors that we pay to teach our kids. Brandy X Lee is bottom of the barrel quality.

She's that 5 year old she keeps calling us.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: angeldoll

They weren't crumbs to me. The rich people aren't my business, nor are they yours or anyone else's. I wouldn't care if they save $10,000,000.00. I don't make enough to save $10,000,000.00 like they do. What I got helped me, as did my raise.

Why do you infer that I believe what the wealthy do is my concern? What is, however, my concern is when a person who has temporary power kowtows to them, by giving them massive amounts of tax-cuts at the expense of needed social programs. I was fine before the cut, with it and without it. It was no big deal to me, but I'm glad it helped you out.

Did you cry about the stimulus check obama handed out in 2009?

If you recall, the country was in big trouble with a market crash, with millions of people, including myself, losing a LOT of money. People had years of savings and their 401-K's wrecked. The stimulus package was to save the country's economy, and not simply bow and scrape to the wealthy, while understanding that his base would pee in their pants over a $1.00.

btw, I'm not crying about anything

I infer that because you're upset over rich people getting a tax break like everyone else. If you weren't, you wouldn't talk about it the way you did.

So you appreciated Obama's one-time help, but none of the help Trump gives you. That's cool. I appreciated it both times. But since you're so well off, maybe you can donate your extra money to one of those commercials that have the millionaire actors and actresses begging for only 18¢ a day to save all the abused animals.
edit on 7-12-2018 by LSU2018 because: To fix quoted words

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

That Yale psychiatrist needs to get back on his Zoloft meds and get real.

That list of the potential emotions going on in each person in a large group applies to people in any other group, from music genre (in teenagers especially), to no doubt political parties.

The same emotional manifestations can be found from Trump to Hillary to Obama to Bush to Clinton etc etc etc across all of history, in every society ever.

So dude is just flat wrong on the headline assertion. I mean a lot of 5 year olds still worship Santa Clause!

Tribalist group identity, groupthink, that's the real culprit here behind this stuff. Our primal urge to bow to tribalism is as hardcore instinctual as our sex drive. Its in our DNA. And once someone accepts (pretty much any) group into their heart, the full array of emotional rationalizations comes out to make it all 'make sense'. Where mri brain scans (google: "the political brain" + "westen") proved that Bush people self-deceived themselves just as much as the Kerry supporters. Its quite literally like drug addiction the partisan and their dopamine rush they get when they self-deceive themselves in support of the Group. And these forces are so powerful over us its in our DNA.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l

The usual suspects are out tonight...

You serious or sarcastic? That fits antifa and other anti-Trump gaggles to a t.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Outside of the far left and far right where politics in the US are concerned, actually, the moderates are the ones that sway back and forth with presidents. I am a moderate that leans to the republican side, however, I have voted for presidents run by both major parties.

One thing to take away from TRUMP getting elected is that the US was tired of Hillary. She was a horrible option for the Democratic party and lets face it, the Dems backed the wrong candidate. My favorite part of all of this was watching election night....even the NEWS crews thought Hillary had this one in the bag......that says a lot about our unobjective media.

All that aside, who didn't think Trump would be like a bull in a china shop? He's not a politician. He does not play or act like one....not a big surprise at all....probably what people find/found attractive about him. He's not the norm. He jumps into the mud with anyone willing. I find it hillarious.

Going forward, the Democrats are going to screw up the next presidential election if they don't start getting their crap together. They won the house, big deal. Now you have to hold on to it and find Presidential Candidates that Americans can believe in....unlike Hillary.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

That NEVER gets old.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Of course. Anybody with enough common sense to see the childish behavior from this adult psychiatrist calling others childish is the childish one.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Except in this case, many of the same arguments you are making about Trump supporters were made by people watching Obama supporters.

It is a legitimate point. It was the Obama presidency that produced art like this:

Along with all the others with subtle light halos around his head and headlines calling him the "second coming" or "lightbringer" or "messiah" etc. There was also a range of pop culture products that went with his election, talk of renaming schools before he'd taken office, and a Nobel Prize given before he'd done single thing of note while in office.

There was a stadium speech with fake Greek Columns!

If Trump has a cult of personality surrounding him, so did Obama, and it's perfectly legit to compare the two on those merits, not whataboutism. That you don't want to discuss shows you know there was a cult of personality around Obama and don't want to admit it.

Don't bother explaining it. These people always call it "whataboutism" when you call out their hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That Yale psychiatrist needs to get back on his Zoloft meds and get real.

That list of the potential emotions going on in each person in a large group applies to people in any other group, from music genre (in teenagers especially), to no doubt political parties.

The same emotional manifestations can be found from Trump to Hillary to Obama to Bush to Clinton etc etc etc across all of history, in every society ever.

So dude is just flat wrong on the headline assertion. I mean a lot of 5 year olds still worship Santa Clause!

Tribalist group identity, groupthink, that's the real culprit here behind this stuff. Our primal urge to bow to tribalism is as hardcore instinctual as our sex drive. Its in our DNA. And once someone accepts (pretty much any) group into their heart, the full array of emotional rationalizations comes out to make it all 'make sense'. Where mri brain scans (google: "the political brain" + "westen") proved that Bush people self-deceived themselves just as much as the Kerry supporters. Its quite literally like drug addiction the partisan and their dopamine rush they get when they self-deceive themselves in support of the Group. And these forces are so powerful over us its in our DNA.

Nothing wrong with Santa. It's this time of year that I can still keep two of my boys in check if they get out of hand. Tell em I'm gonna call Santa and they immediately say NO DAD! Please don't!

Works. Every. Single. Time.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I mean honestly, this whole cult of personality/celebrity president thing started mainly with Obama. At least from my modern recollection. Maybe we had presidents in the past who held that amount of appeal (JFK ?), but not even Bill Clinton who was considered the "cool" president had, or was treated as having, that level of celebrity. They have certainly carried this on with Trump, but the press is more or less attempting to paint it with a dark mirror.

Whatever it is, it's not healthy no matter what "side" you're looking at.
edit on 7-12-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Raw Story: In your opinion...

Another 'opinion' used as a divisive weapon that is supposed to represent Truth? Young master C0bzz, you have
truly learned from your peers this art of dividing. Your truth is in your own denial and your reference is biased.
Fortunately, most 5 year olds in the U.S. have not been skewed or washed as you have, and actually don't really care
about the things you wish to propagate. As for 'dog barks', your whimper very much resembles that... but know this,
Wolves don't bark. Grow up and begin to unite your community or lose yourself to this political puke you call truth.
It's not about Trump, Obama or Clinton... it is about humanity, get a grip dumbass.
Pilate saith unto him, What is truth?

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Of course. Anybody with enough common sense to see the childish behavior from this adult psychiatrist calling others childish is the childish one.

Is this seriously your defense?

For one, the psychiatrist didn't just call people childish out of the blue. Using his knowledge and education he is easily able to point to Trump's child like need to always be right, to always be declared the winner. Then, from that it's easy to correlate that people who support that behavior are themselves just as intellectual bankrupt.

And you know what? By yours and others continued defense of his behavior you display your lack of critical thinking. At best, you can argue you have temporarily set aside your moral barometer but is that much better?

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The psychiatrist is a woman, and I really think you should buy her book. It will confirm everything you believe and you'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It's a bestseller so it must be good - hurry now her bank account won't grow by itself!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join