It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri voters said no to 'right to work.' Republican lawmaker wants it anyway.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: SRPrime

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: liejunkie01

I love living in a RTW state and think Missouri is really stupid, but it's what they want, so do it.

Do you know what RTW means? It really means right to be fired for any reason what-so-ever. A right to work state literally gives the employer permission to terminate for any reason, including no reason. That's ALL it means.

90% of the US workforce (a.k.a. the non-union folks) can already be fired by their employer for any reason. Right to Work has nothing to do with that at all.

Admittedly, RTW does mean an employer can fire you without just cause...but more often then not, they have cause to fire you. RTW means that as a fired employee...you pick yourself up and apply instantly with another employer who will hire you before an unemployment application is processed through the slow gov channels.

Employers are more open to give you a chance when they are not worrying about being boxed in by restrictions or union contracts. It is a 50/50 opportunity for both employee and employer.

What sucks worse is an employer losing money because restrictions placed upon them and / or really good employees not getting promoted due to seniority restrictions. Eventually, both will result in great loss to employees and employers.

Yes it sucks to be in a trade that younger individuals may be more productive and ease you out...but knowing this possibility...use those first 20 years to educate yourself to ensure you can be able to place yourself in a better position...management, supervisory, consultant, or educator. Don't blame or expect others to just appease you due to lack of preparation.

You may get lucky just riding it out...but will always be better odds if one prepares before tragedy arrives. Know how you will tuck and roll before the horse bucks you off...then get right back on and do it again. You be the authority not the horse.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Give it up, lie junkie. Just like most Americans are fooled into voting against their own best interest, similarly most are completely ok with surrendering any power to negotiate salary at all. It’s the total collapse of union power, which is almost complete, that is what business wants. And people seem ok with that. I was complaining to a coworker the other day about our utter lack of bargaining power vs our company, and he replied “I could bargain fine. They offered what they would pay, and I chose to accept it or not”. And that right there is what most Americans think is bargaining. Regardless of price fixing, and the downward rush of salaries, despite arbitrary wages that don’t increase with productivity, despite soaring corporate profits and raises that don’t even keep up with inflation, the news tells them they are “empowered and successful “ and so they believe it.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Also, liejunkie, like you I compared rtw states vs non. And it is a drastic difference. Largely the Deep South where it’s all rtw, and we have the lowest standards of living in the nation. Low pay, low education, lower life expectancy.

And then they throw that “but the cost of living” bs. Everyone acts like it all balances out, like places with high pay have equally high cost of living and the places with low pay have low cost of living, so may as well stay where you are and deal with the crap there. Completely untrue. I’ve lived in many states, and I’ve lived in places with high pay and low cost of living, and places with low pay and high cost of living, and everything between. Some places have much higher taxes, some have had free education, or daycare for children. The truth is every place is completely different, and some places are much easier to live with lots of opportunities, and others are painful to live in, surrounded with desperation and lacking opportunities. And it’s all, always, about corporate and government greed and profit.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

Very well said.

I couldn't agree more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join