It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri voters said no to 'right to work.' Republican lawmaker wants it anyway.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

JEFFERSON CITY • A Springfield Republican wants to again make Missouri a "right-to-work" state — even after two-thirds of voters in August shot down the state's law.

State Sen.-elect Eric Burlison, R-Springfield, filed the legislation this month in preparation for the Legislature's annual session, which starts in January. Republicans overwhelmingly control both the state House and Senate.

In 2017, lawmakers approved similar legislation, which bans union dues as a condition of employment. But unions and allies struck back, submitting more than 300,000 signatures to force a referendum on the law.

Unbelievable

This has been voted down with overwhelming opposition twice. What in the hell is wrong with these politicians?

This is a waste of time and money and is at the core of what is wrong with our nation.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Why are you shocked?

The majority of Americans want a damned wall and border security and politicians don't care.

Politicians answer to PAC's and donors.

Not to the unwashed heathens who voted them in.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Sometimes an elected official needs to do what's best for their constituents, even if they don't like it. Like your mom telling you to eat your vegetables.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Is the new bill the same as the old one or did they remove the parts people do not want in it. I did not actually compare the bills so I do not know if they are the same. I won't pass judgement on something till I see the legislation.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Was the bill the voters rejected have state employees and police included?

I seem to recall that was a big reason it was voted down. Wonder if this new bill exempts state employees.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

These kinds of politicians either republican or democrat are like animals. Animals will always do whatever motivates them without any feelings of the effects on others.

The governor of Washington state is no different. When voters voted down the recent carbon tax initiative, governor Jay Inslee publicly vowed to get it through anyway, disregarding the voter's will. But when an unconstitutional gun control initiative passed and then the state has been sued in a current upcoming case, Jay Inslee said he will fight to support the voter's wishes, rather than support the constitution.

So here a prime example of the human/animal garbage in the politicians people vote for in America. People with no moral compass, and no inkling of honor or lawful enterprise, just animal instinct.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm not a resident of Missouri, so my opinion doesn't really matter.

But I think being forced to pay dues to a union I don't belong to as no different than the being forced to pay for health insurance I don't need.

Sounds unconstitutional to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Why are you shocked?

The majority of Americans want a damned wall and border security and politicians don't care.

Politicians answer to PAC's and donors.

Not to the unwashed heathens who voted them in.

I know I shouldn't be surprised but this is insane.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The majority wants a lot of crap.

That's why a pure democracy is a bad idea.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I seem to recall that was a big reason it was voted down. Wonder if this new bill exempts state employees.

It's not just state employees and police though. I work with many local 36 sheetmetal workers, local 1 insulators, and workers of other trades. They were all against and voted it down. There are many thousands of private sector union employees.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I love living in a RTW state and think Missouri is really stupid, but it's what they want, so do it.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I want a puppy.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It's not just state employees and police though. I work with many local 36 sheetmetal workers, local 1 insulators, and workers of other trades. They were all against and voted it down. There are many thousands of private sector union employees.

Almost all union employees vote against these Bill's. That's why most dont cover state employees or police. Those will never pass.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Almost all union employees vote against these Bill's.

Who is Bill, and what of his do union employees vote against?

That's why most dont cover state employees or police. Those will never pass.
No, That would be because of Janus, not votes.
edit on 12/5/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

But I think being forced to pay dues to a union I don't belong to as no different than the being forced to pay for health insurance I don't need.

But people sure don't complain when they benefit from the prevailing wages and benefits that come with paying those dues.

The whole point of breaking up the unions is not about dues. It is about paying people less so corporate interests can make more. This is instituted through retirement benefit cuts, wage cuts, and healthcare benefit cuts.

I know for a fact that non union workers who work on a prevailing wage job make more money than if the job was a non union one. I have seen it first hand.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I know for a fact that non union workers who work on a prevailing wage job make more money than if the job was a non union one.

Yes. They get more in their paycheck because they are paid in wages to match the equivalent of union benefits. Benefits which the union worker may, or may not, actually benefit from.

Prevailing wages are set based on union wages and benefits. It is (I know of no exceptions) only government contracted or funded projects which require prevailing wage.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I love living in a RTW state and think Missouri is really stupid, but it's what they want, so do it.

I have looked into relocating to a different state. Every single right to work state makes a considerable amount of money less than where I do. Every single one.

The pay scales do not even come remotely close. I just dont understand how someone such as yourself is okay with making less money in a time of skyrocketing inflation and prices of goods.

It seems to be okay if you are an executive at a business in those states though. Just not a skilled tradesman/woman.
edit on 5-12-2018 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Prevailing wages are set based on union wages and benefits. It is (I know of no exceptions) only government contracted or funded projects which require prevailing wage. 

That would be completely up to a Project Labor Agreement. Government and private construction projects can use a PLA if so desired.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The Government has laws which require it, actually.

Like I said, I know of no private project which has required it. It makes it more costly for the owner (and bothersome for the GC and subs). I do know of private projects which require that all subcontractors be signatory to a labor union. But that's different.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

The Government has laws which require it, actually. 

I happen to live in a state that does require it.

I should have worded my statement a little different above.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join