It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the cop out of line or was the youth?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
In my city last weekend, an intoxicated girl was being transported to the hospital.
She was partying in a known local drug house.
She was very intoxicated and was being brought to the hospital, rather than jail to be monitored for the night.
There wasnt going to be any criminal charges laid, just brought to the ER for the night.

That was the plan. But the youth became combative and assaulted the police officer.
A video surfaced depicting a small portion of what took place.

Now the officer is off work while an investigation is being conducted.

If you will humor me, id like to get your opinions.
I already have mine.
But take a look at the video of the altercation and tell me if you think the officer's actions were justified.
Just watch the 22-second video before reading the article, so you are not swayed in either direction.
And reply if it was justified or not and your reasoning.

article with video

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Spitting is assault which is a crime.

Not sure what your question is? She can't assault an officer.

ETA: Justified

edit on 2018/12/5 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

It seemed to me that the officer put her hand over the persons mouth after being spat on? That's what I thought after watching the vid.

ETA: personally I thought the person was saying "enough" to the person on the gurney, after they spat on the officer.
edit on 5-12-2018 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Cops are only human and it would obviously piss anyone off to be spat on.

Still though, I guarantee if the officer knew she was being filmed, she would of acted with far more restraint and professionalism.

So yeah, I think the copper lost her temper and was acting irrationally.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I don't think it very abusive. I heard of COs throwing handcuffed people downstairs to their death for less.

In a messed up system, this was tame. Officer was in the right, though maybe, she should have stepped back and not tried to Subdue a person already strapped to a gurney.

Throw a spit bag over their head and call it a day.

edit on 12 5 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Some stoned teen spit on me, I'd likely smack them, too. Justified, I'd say. Would this even be debated if the teen was white? Seems the focus of the article is more on race than on the teen spitting.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Would this even be debated if the teen was white?

How did you even catch that she wasn't white?

I mean, the cops hand is covering her entire face in the video.
edit on 5-12-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Poor planning on the part of the officer led to taking their anger out on the subject, who was entirely restrained and clearly not of sober mind and action. Had the stern rebuttal of yelling in the subjects face been all that occurred I would indicate the matter was handled with respect and professionalism. Taking the matter to the level of feeling the need to retaliate against a fully restrained individual was to serve as nothing more than spanking a child or dog that misbehaves. I see nothing more than an officer who hates their job and is taking their problems and or anger out on a subject who is not of sound mind.

Police seemingly forget to understand that their dreamed up authority over the public for which they signed up to serve and protect does not equate to the need for their home dog & child training tactics while on duty.

Sure, fraternity participation and being on the beneficial side of law enforcement protects those small acts of aggression that should be considered a crime, but it does not mean it is the right way to act. Severe lessening and or removal of any consequences for such unprofessional behaviors gets brushed off as a minor blip of action which enables the fraternity as a whole to want to learn where the next level of police authorities lay.

Cops as a whole, not all of course, are like 2 year olds. They will push the boundaries little by little as they participate in their community's dramas, all while watching and waiting for the reactions to the wrongdoing. If the wrongdoing gets put into check, the limits of abuse stall. If the wrongdoing is accepted the limits of police authority will almost inevitably be tested to further degrees.

I'd demote that officer to community service efforts for 6 months, mandate anger management, and let the department learn that striking a restrained individual is grounds for termination if I were Captain where that happened. 99 out of 100 Captains would likely accept the situation as the fault of the subject and clear the fraternity of any wrongdoing whatsoever. The 99% are clearly in charge as over reach of police obligations & duties is an extreme commonplace.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So my opinion on this is,
That girl got exactly what she deserved.
The paramedic can be heard saying, she’s just going to the hospital.
I don’t know why she started being so combative.
The girl can be heard saying “eff you” and that’s when she spit in the officers face.
The cop slapped the girl upside the head, put her hand over the girls mouth to prevent anymore spit from being shot at her.
Told her “that’s enough you don’t spit on me.”

If I was that girls parents I would shake that cops hand for slapping some manners into my kid.
But instead the First Nations leaders are making a huge deal out of this.
Any thing happens in this city the First Nations are the first to scream racism.
They are acting as if it were a white person on the gurney that the officer wouldn’t of slapped them.

I’m not going to get into the politics of what’s going on in my city between the First Nations and the so called “White settlers” as they call us.
But the native leaders are trying to create this narrative here that we are all out to get them.
That they are victims...blah blah blah.
Not going to get into it.

But there’s a large divide right now surrounding that video.
Most are saying the girl deserved the slap upside the head - I full heartedly agree.

Others are saying the girl is a victim of police brutality. Which I find extremely laughable.

It’s a fairly big topic on CBC and our news, so if anyone wanted to learn more about it they could.
I’m not gonna get fired up anymore than I am over it.

I just think it’s utterly ridiculous that this officer is off duty now pending investigation because she slapped the girl who spit in her face.
If anything this cop should be thanked for slapping some sense into the brat

edit on 5-12-2018 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

The article says straight up in the title it's a first nations person....

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

The first time i watched it, i thought maybe the officer was just covering her mouth, but after a few times of watching it, i can see that she slapped the girl and then grabbed her by the mouth and squeezed while pressing her head down.

The claim that the minor was hanging out at a “drug house” is pretty vague. Why is the girl in a gurney? Why are the cops there at all?

When the video first starts, the tone in the officer’s voice is that of a person already trying to justify something stupid that they have done. Go back and listen to her. The first 5 seconds.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

yes its assault to spit.

it's also assault and cowardly to smack someone while they're restrained and then proceed to choke/hold them down

if the officer was assaulted by the spitting, the suspect gets charged and tried.

officers dont decide what retaliation is just for being spat on..
edit on 5-12-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I don't see anything wrong with the officers actions myself

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

she was restrained and apparently very drunk so knowing that what good did it do for the cop to put her hand over her mouth and start pressing her head down?

ultimately not a big deal but i dont think its justified.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

A good 90% of these young people need to be sent back in time and see what real discipline was.
If we even gave mom or dad, or any adult the side eye we would get slapped into next week.
I can't even fathom what spitting on a person would result in, but i'm certain we'd be in pain, REAL pain for weeks.
Not the kind of pain from a little tap on the mouth, or squeeze, c'mon!

The officer was completely justified.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

The title of the video has indigenous female in it.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

A good 90% of these young people need to be sent back in time and see what real discipline was.
If we even gave mom or dad, or any adult the side eye we would get slapped into next week.
I can't even fathom what spitting on a person would result in, but i'm certain we'd be in pain, REAL pain for weeks.
Not the kind of pain from a little tap on the mouth, or squeeze, c'mon!

The officer was completely justified.

hell yeah

lay down the discipline on someone restrained and who isnt even going to remember it

good call

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Are we talking about the same video?

The one where the cop was being really nice and telling the girl she was going to hospital. The girl just starts spitting. The cop put her hand the on the girls mouth, and says, Do Not spit on me, She might have pressed on her mouth a little and it looks a little dramatic because the gurnee bounces a bit.

I watched the video three times to see if I missed any real abuse and just didn't see it.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Exactly.
But in today’s culture, it seems like it’s frowned upon to discipline your children.
Hell I know parents who are scared to even.
Out of fear of some snow flake blowing it out of proportion and claiming child abuse.
Today’s society of coddling and pampering our kids is out of control.
All 3 of my children, know not to talk back, disrespect, act like A-holes or they will have consequences. I’m not saying I pull out the wooden spoon like I used to get.
I just saying they where taught from the get go to respect and treat one another as they would want to be treated.

My mother and her five brothers and sister would get the strap...literally. When hey acted up, they were told to go to a hook on the wall and retrieve a leather belt so my grandpa could give them a lashing.

So things are quite the opposite now.
It seems like Parents are called into question when disciplinary action is required.
I’m just happy my children know how to act towards law and authority figures.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

The article says straight up in the title it's a first nations person....

Well then, now you should see what I'm talking about when I say the MSM manipulates your judgement... lol.

I skipped the whole article and went straight to the video clip and saw nothing but a human being having excessive force used against her by a cop.

Yet, all you guys that paid any attention to the actual article, are now all triggered and ranting on about how this was some kind of racial issue.

It's kind of ironic, if you think about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join