It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
Your number 9 point is at odds with your number 3 point.
Who builds and maintains this "PSB"?
originally posted by: Sahasrara
I think I know how to fix our political system.
The primary thing wrong with our current political system is that our primary selection criteria is money. It’s not about your ideas, your talents, or your morals, or your character, it’s about how much money you can generate in order to out-propagandize your opponents. Because money is the driving force, it opens the gates for people with lots of money to control the process which is why almost all of our politicians are owned, controlled or corrupt. My solution inverts the pyramid of power and visibility. Instead of the government having tools and legal methods to spy on us, we have the tools and methods to spy on them! Instead of politicians being our “leaders”, public servants are our servants.
My solution is extremely simple.
1. There can be no secrets kept from the people - they are the boss.
2. We throw away the term ‘politician’ and replace it with the term ‘public servant’.
3. We create “Public Servant Book” - a “facebook” for public servants, lobbyists (if we decide they can even exist), corporations, etc.
4. The only way to be a public servant is to register for PSB.
5. PSB registration is free, but part of registration is a binding agreement to be a moral, transparent servant of the people of US and to the constitution. You essentially agree that your life is completely public record while you are in elected positions. This selects a completely different class of people to “govern” us: folks with nothing to hide that really want to serve.
6. Each public servant’s PSB page is a dossier of that person’s public servant life including all votes, all meetings, speeches, writings, donations, stock holdings, taxes, travels, positions on topics, feedback, etc. Their religion is NOT mentioned.
7. PSB is a public servant’s ONLY method of communicating with its electorate during campaign time. Each candidate is allowed an identical very small budget to get their message across via their PSB page.
8. Implement voter ID - which requires a mandatory but free semester course on civics and political science (pretty much like we do for drivers licenses).
9. Use only paper balloting. We simply cannot trust any electronic system, maybe ever.
Let's mold this into something usable.
originally posted by: Edumakated
Step 1 is making voting a privilege, not a right. Everyone should not be able to vote. I support having a basic civics test. We give a civics test to immigrants who become US citizens. We should do the same for voting. Allowing people to vote who can't even name three branches of government is how we get ditzy congresswomen elected who can't name the three branches of government.
Step 2 is hard term limits. No one should be a professional politician. Three terms of congress (6 years). 2 terms for the senate (12).
Step 3 is finance reform. There needs to be complete transparency as to who is funding campaigns and political action committees.
Step 4 is tax reform. We need to simplify tax code so that politicians can't use it to dole out favors.